Quantcast

Rock Shox Pike Problems

acair422

Monkey
Aug 20, 2003
So I bought a Specialized Pitch Comp used and have discovered that the fork is pretty not functional. The u-turn still works but nothing else does. I keep getting a very very harsh bottom out sensation once its gone through about an inch of travel. It's not the normal bang from bottoming out its a loud clanging and then BANG (very harsh). This happens when i roll over anything from a pebble to small roots (no drops jumps etc). Anyone have any suggestions (other than "send it to R.S")

acair422

Monkey
Aug 20, 2003
still ca'nt get the last 3" of travel, if i dial it down to the 95mm setting (via travel adjust) its just completely rigid...ideas?

rockofullr

confused
Jun 11, 2009
East Bay, Cali
I had a similar problem. The oil from the top of the compression leg had leaked down into the bottom. It was the same as over filling the fork. The fork would lock up after a few inches of travel.

The fix was to change the oil and the o-ring at the bottom of the compression sleeve. So basically just do what boogenman said.

boogenman

Turbo Monkey
Nov 3, 2004
BUFFALO
What he said.

The seal housing o-ring that the rebound rod slides on can wear or dislodge causing the oil migration like rockofullr said.

Loosen the 5mm bolt on the bottom of your right leg 2 full turns, tap bolt with plastic hammer to loosen the rebound rod from the lowers, loosen the bolt some more and push in more. If a sh it ton of oil comes out you need to rebuild the fork.

The only special tool you will need that may not be in Dad's tool box is snap ring pliers to get the main seal housing out so you can change the o-ring.

I understand that my instructions are probably convoluted and incoherent so follow this link for better ones:

http://www.sram.com/service/rockshox/all

Last edited: