Quantcast

Rock Shox Pike

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
After I put my bike away last fall I haven't ridden it till this weekend. When I took the bike out the LOCK OUT for the pike was loose and flapping from the locked position to the unlocked position not effecting how the fork functioned at all.

Anybody know what is broke or had this problem?

J

JRB

It may just be the screw is loose. Try that first. If that doesn't fix it, I am sure that the cartridge would be broken. I have not worked on that specifically, but that's how most lockouts work. They just close the valves on the cartridge.

Sorgie

Monkey
May 20, 2005
Rochester
How did you store the bike? I left mine upside down for a few days and the fork got locked out. After it was right side up for a while the oil drained back down and it worked fine. I was always under the impression that keeping your bike upside down helped to keep the seals wet, but maybe the Pike doesn't like it.

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
Sorgie said:
How did you store the bike? I left mine upside down for a few days and the fork got locked out. After it was right side up for a while the oil drained back down and it worked fine. I was always under the impression that keeping your bike upside down helped to keep the seals wet, but maybe the Pike doesn't like it.
I hung mine from the ceiling. It could have happened before I stored it away.

Changleen

Paranoid Member
Jan 9, 2004
Pōneke
Having recently stripped and serviced a Pure daming system on a Psylo, I will say it is a delicate system at best that requires perfect oil fill to work correctly. If you have lost any oil at all function will be reduced, and loosing a few centilitres will render it non-functional. Secondly, the design relies on o-ring fittings to seal that oil it, it's never going to stay around forever.

In conclusion, you a) probably need to strip and rebuild the fork and fill it up with oil again, and b) RockShox suck.

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
Changleen said:
Having recently stripped and serviced a Pure daming system on a Psylo, I will say it is a delicate system at best that requires perfect oil fill to work correctly. If you have lost any oil at all function will be reduced, and loosing a few centilitres will render it non-functional. Secondly, the design relies on o-ring fittings to seal that oil it, it's never going to stay around forever.

In conclusion, you a) probably need to strip and rebuild the fork and fill it up with oil again, and b) RockShox suck.
Thanks, I may just send it back to RS and see what happens.

J

JRB

See if they will send you a Marzocchi.

*I have an extra 5" fork laying around if you need to use it.

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
loco said:
See if they will send you a Marzocchi.

*I have an extra 5" fork laying around if you need to use it.
Thanks man! I have my HT with the REBA to use in the meantime.

hecklerjimmi

Chimp
Aug 19, 2004
Don't send it back just yet. Open up the lock out. Compress the fork a few times then try the lockout again. If you hang it upside down, the oil fills up the compression damper and it feels like the lock out isn't working. It happens all the time on my wifes Reba.

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
hecklerjimmi said:
Don't send it back just yet. Open up the lock out. Compress the fork a few times then try the lockout again. If you hang it upside down, the oil fills up the compression damper and it feels like the lock out isn't working. It happens all the time on my wifes Reba.
I tried that man but I'm not getting anything.

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
splat said:
I'd take it to your LBS ( or a shop that knows how to service a shock , if your s doesn't ) , before sending it back to rock shox.
Yeah... I don't know if my LBS can service a fork at all.

BurlyShirley

Rex Grossman Will Rise Again
Jul 4, 2002
TN
I asked my shop about rebulding forks, if they had much experience...

They said "Is it a rigid fork?"

I said "How the hell do you service a rigid fork?"

Guy blankly stares at me...

I walk out never to return.

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
BurlyShirley said:

Ha! Nice!

hooples3

Fuggetaboutit!
Mar 14, 2005
Brooklyn
BurlyShirley said:

:rofl: thats hysterical... and scary all the same

J

JRB

BurlyShirley said:

Wow - you should have killed him in the face.

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
I played with the flood gate nob above the lockout and it seemed when I had it all the way in one direction (the + & - are worn off) the lockout nob wouldn't flop around but it was still pretty loose.