Quantcast

Rockgardn Flak Jacket

TreeSaw

Mama Monkey
Oct 30, 2003
Dancin' over rocks n' roots!
Do any of you Mud Hunnies use them? How do they fit, do you like them? I am beginning to do some serious DH and really need to get some armor. I can't afford the Dainese right now and found these. What do you all think??? Right now, I just have a 661 hard moto-cross style chest protector that doesn't fit great.

Thanks for the input!!!

Freak

Aug 15, 2001
Redmond, Washington
TreeSaw said:
Do any of you Mud Hunnies use them? How do they fit, do you like them? I am beginning to do some serious DH and really need to get some armor. I can't afford the Dainese right now and found these. What do you all think??? Right now, I just have a 661 hard moto-cross style chest protector that doesn't fit great.

Thanks for the input!!!
Send a PM to Velocity Girl asking about the rockgardn

dhjill

Monkey
Feb 26, 2003
SD Cali
I know the Dainese stuff is hideously expensive, but in my opinion, it's so worth it. The Rockgardn jacket is similar to the 661 jacket (I think they call it the Pressure Suit?) and I know that material is hotter than hell. Hot means sweat and sweat means stink and corrosion of material. I have 2 Dainese suits and I've had them for years...they wash well and they hold up well in crashes. I even throw mine in the washer even though you aren't supposed to. :)

You might check Cambria Bike (www.cambriabike.com)...they seem to have the best prices on Dainese stuff. Have any good friends who work in the industry? You might be able to pro-deal it through them.

I've definitely gotten my money's worth out of my suits...yeah, I felt like I broke the bank when I bought them but I'm so thankful I "went big" every time I have a nasty crash!

dh girlie

MISS MISSY (geek)
dhjill said:
I know the Dainese stuff is hideously expensive, but in my opinion, it's so worth it. The Rockgardn jacket is similar to the 661 jacket (I think they call it the Pressure Suit?) and I know that material is hotter than hell. Hot means sweat and sweat means stink and corrosion of material. I have 2 Dainese suits and I've had them for years...they wash well and they hold up well in crashes. I even throw mine in the washer even though you aren't supposed to. :)

You might check Cambria Bike (www.cambriabike.com)...they seem to have the best prices on Dainese stuff. Have any good friends who work in the industry? You might be able to pro-deal it through them.

I've definitely gotten my money's worth out of my suits...yeah, I felt like I broke the bank when I bought them but I'm so thankful I "went big" every time I have a nasty crash!
I agree...I tried on the Rockgarden at Big Bear and it was SO uncomfortable and it didn't fit well on me...the arms were long and every time I would bend my arm, the elbow protection would move down...I put on the Dainesse...fits awesome...it was about 250 with tax from Cambria. I've been riding with the new one...I think it's the 2003 model, and its very comfortable and like dhjill says, it's very cool compared to the 661. Definitely see if you can come up with the extra cash for it...

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
I don't know how any of these jackets fit women, but I recently got one of those Under Armour brand undershirts for my armor jacket and a skullcap for my helmet - helps transfer the sweat faster and keeps the protective gear cleaner for longer - you can buy these items at a sporting goods store.

The skullcap is really made for football players under a football helmet but works just as good for a bike helmet...

http://www.underarmour.com

dh girlie

MISS MISSY (geek)
syadasti said:
I don't know how any of these jackets fit women, but I recently got one of those Under Armour brand undershirts for my armor jacket and a skullcap for my helmet - helps transfer the sweat faster and keeps the protective gear cleaner for longer - you can buy these items at a sporting goods store.

The skullcap is really made for football players under a football helmet but works just as good for a bike helmet...

Awesome...thanks for posting that...

Jan 7, 2004
D.C. area
dh girlie said:
I agree...I tried on the Rockgarden at Big Bear and it was SO uncomfortable and it didn't fit well on me...the arms were long and every time I would bend my arm, the elbow protection would move down...
Same here. I ordered a small Rockgardn and a S/M Azonic so I could compare the two side by side. The Rockgardn's sleeves were too long for me, leaving my elbows unprotected and plastic stabbing into my arm funny, and then my belly hung out. Weird.

The Azonic suit fit me like a glove. I love it!!!!!

TreeSaw

Mama Monkey
Oct 30, 2003
Dancin' over rocks n' roots!
syadasti said:

[\QUOTE]

Thanks for the tip...I hadn't even thought of something like that! I even have a skullcap for cold weather...I am sure it would work great in warmer weather too!

zappa

Chimp
Jun 14, 2003
Georgia
I wear a medium FlakJacket, and it fits me well and does not move when I crash, but I am 6ft and have a medium/large build. I have long arms, so it fits me. If your measurements are right at (or below) what they suggest for a small, I wouldn't get it. A friend of mine who is small tried just about every brand's small size and just gave up and got dianese, which fits her great. Unless you're a bigger girl, I'd get the dianese.

Their fit suggestions:
Small: typically people under 5'8", 155 lbs or under, around a 29-31" waist, 36-39" chest.
Medium: 5'8"-6' tall, 160-175 lbs, 32-33" waist, 40-42" chest

Jan 7, 2004
D.C. area
syadasti said:

Yup. Good suggestion to bring up. I wear da Under Armour Frequency Tee under my Azonic armor. Keeps the armor from rubbing me as much, and the armor seems to ride up a little less than with wearing a tight t-shirt underneath.