Skookum

bikey's is cool
Jul 26, 2002
in a bear cave
MisterClean said:
ask skookum
Ok....

http://www.fs.fed.us/

This is good place to start. Check from station to station, there is all kinds of trail information. Search each local site and if you have questions, give the station a call, sometimes you can find a ranger that knows what he/she's talkin about.

When you find the goods make sure you don't ride all the trails in the rain and skid and blow out all the corners. Otherwise Clean might wait at the trailhead and kill you in the face.

MisterClean

Monkey
Jan 20, 2006
SoCal Supermarket Shelves
Skookum said:
Ok....

http://www.fs.fed.us/

This is good place to start. Check from station to station, there is all kinds of trail information. Search each local site and if you have questions, give the station a call, sometimes you can find a ranger that knows what he/she's talkin about.

When you find the goods make sure you don't ride all the trails in the rain and skid and blow out all the corners. Otherwise Clean might wait at the trailhead and kill you in the face.
Nah, that trail would do a good job of killing about 98% of the denizens here well enough on its own.

MisterClean

Monkey
Jan 20, 2006
BikeGeek said:
Rocks good.

The downhill close to the finish at SSWC05 (Rothrock State Forest, State College, PA).
Those Eastern rocks are definitely a different flavor. When wet, they are ten times more slippery than sandstone is and that makes for some very difficult riding. I've only ridden one place out West that had even a tinge of Eastern feel. A friend on that particular ride with me was from PA and he agreed that it was as Eastern as the West can get. Only one hint, it's one of the most unique ranges in the Rocky Mountains.

Snacks

Turbo Monkey
Feb 20, 2003
GO! SEAHAWKS!
MisterClean said:
Those Eastern rocks are definitely a different flavor. When wet, they are ten times more slippery than sandstone is and that makes for some very difficult riding. I've only ridden one place out West that had even a tinge of Eastern feel. A friend on that particular ride with me was from PA and he agreed that it was as Eastern as the West can get. Only one hint, it's one of the most unique ranges in the Rocky Mountains.
Come one Mr:) Please:clue: I'm heading down to Moab and Bootleg next month. I would love to check out those rocks as well:help:

MisterClean said:
...Only one hint, it's one of the most unique ranges in the Rocky Mountains.
:think:
http://biology.usgs.gov/s+t/SNT/noframe/wm146.htm
Pinyon-Juniper Woodland
In the southern Rocky Mountains, a transition occurs between about 1,800 and 2,500 meters, where plains communities are accompanied by pinyon pines (Fig. 2). Mexican pinyons and singleleaf pinyons are found in western Utah, alligator junipers and Rocky Mountain junipers grow to the south, and Utah junipers grow to the north. Many shrubs and grasses of the plains occupy the gaps between tree outcrops. Heavy livestock grazing is associated with the spread of junipers (by reducing competition from grasses), and fire suppression is partly responsible for their continued dominance (West et al. 1975).
Durango area?

MisterClean

Monkey
Jan 20, 2006
johnbryanpeters said:
Durango area?
The range I was referring to is not in the photo I posted. It was just a reference to the Eastern type terrain that many think is not available in the West.

The photo may or may not be near Durango, though your research was impressive. The Colorado Plateau is huge, isn't it?

MisterClean said:
The range I was referring to is not in the photo I posted. It was just a reference to the Eastern type terrain that many think is not available in the West.

The photo may or may not be near Durango, though your research was impressive. The Colorado Plateau is huge, isn't it?
Yes. I find that the Rockies have twenty ranges in Wyoming alone...