Quantcast

Rockshox Domain 318 - anyone have reviews/ridden it???

skitrev33

Chimp
Apr 4, 2007
I've done a pretty extensive amount of research on the fork in the past few days (yes I've searched all the boards). I was considering a Marz. 66 RCX2 or a Totem, but I have a serious lack of fundage right now and the Domain has become a more enticing choice. I know it doesn't have some of the options of the first two I named, but it seems like an ok fork for the job. I usually go with pretty high end stuff but I recently got into photography and restoring a car so $ for bikes isn't as plentiful as it once was. I ride Pennsylvania rocks and Diablo with a trip to Whistler when I can. Fork will be going on a Session 77.

Also, I've never really subscribed to the whole onepointfive deal. I have the option of going that way this time around and I've seen the percentage stiffer etc... stats for the Totem. Am I going to notice that big a difference in stiffness with a fork like the Domain?

Thanks for any info anyone out there has!

Bulldog

Turbo Monkey
Sep 11, 2001
Wisconsin
Just got mine installed last week. Lots of rain and no front brake adaptor so I'll hold off on any review. But IMO for how it is marketed, as the RS "bargain" FR fork compared to the Totem, it's a great deal. Think of it like this - how many rave reviews do the Pikes get? The Domain 318 is basically a beefy Pike. My last 6-7 forks were Marzocchi's, but the Domain is my first time straying away. We'll see how it turns out...

skitrev33

Chimp
Apr 4, 2007
Same here Bulldog. I've ridden an '04 Super T for a few years, and been on quite a few Fox products over the past few years. I have an older Psylo Race that I've been super happy with, and have loved Rock Shox since I was a kid. However, I work at a shop and went through Rockshox "rough" period, so I'm interested to see if they are back in action for sure. Let me know how it goes for you once you ride it. From reviews I've read the Domain gets much better after you've ridden it a few times and given it some punishment. A longer breakin period than forks we're used to. What steerer tube did you go for???

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
If you have a 1.5 headtube, I'd definently advise getting the 1.5 Domain. No reason not to. Increased stiffness, less weight.

They look like great forks. Very well priced, great damping, and if they're anything like the Totem, should be downright awesome.

scrublover

Turbo Monkey
Sep 1, 2004
Rode one for a bit, then replaced it with a Lyrik. (had the spare cash, and wanted the lighter wieght...)

The Domain is a kick ass fork, especially for the money. Sure, it's heavier than the Lyrik/Totem, and the damping isn't quite as nice, but it's pretty damn nice despite that.

As someone above said, it's basically a Pike on 'roids. It'll take a beating, for sure.

skitrev33

Chimp
Apr 4, 2007
Rode one for a bit, then replaced it with a Lyrik. (had the spare cash, and wanted the lighter wieght...)

The Domain is a kick ass fork, especially for the money. Sure, it's heavier than the Lyrik/Totem, and the damping isn't quite as nice, but it's pretty damn nice despite that.

As someone above said, it's basically a Pike on 'roids. It'll take a beating, for sure.
Ya the Lyrik looks real nice, except its basically the same price as the Totem and they only make them with 160mm. The Trek I'm putting it on is 170mm in the rear, and to balance it out and make it a 7" all around well balanced park and trail bike, I'm thinking the 180mm of the domain might suit the purpose a bit better. I've read up pretty well about the mission control dampening in the Domain, but I'm pretty sure I won't miss most of the control I have now if the mission control works as well as reviews and the company say it does. We'll see I guess. After doing a lot of suspension work I've become pretty comfortable with tuning and fairly good at it, so hopefully I'll be able to set it up so I love it. I'm saving almost three hundred bucks over the closest single crown FR competitor, so at this point I'd feel like an idiot for not buying it even though I lose a few features.

scrublover

Turbo Monkey
Sep 1, 2004
Ya the Lyrik looks real nice, except its basically the same price as the Totem and they only make them with 160mm. The Trek I'm putting it on is 170mm in the rear, and to balance it out and make it a 7" all around well balanced park and trail bike, I'm thinking the 180mm of the domain might suit the purpose a bit better. I've read up pretty well about the mission control dampening in the Domain, but I'm pretty sure I won't miss most of the control I have now if the mission control works as well as reviews and the company say it does. We'll see I guess. After doing a lot of suspension work I've become pretty comfortable with tuning and fairly good at it, so hopefully I'll be able to set it up so I love it. I'm saving almost three hundred bucks over the closest single crown FR competitor, so at this point I'd feel like an idiot for not buying it even though I lose a few features.
Huh? I wasn't writing that stuff to mean that you should buy the Lyrik or Totem instead.

I had a 160mm Domain. Sold it for a Lyrik. Yes, the Lyrik is lighter and has a bit more bling/better damping, but the Domain is a damn nice fork as well. I only swapped because I came into some extra cash to do so, otherwise would still be rockign the Domain.

Get it. You'll like it.

skitrev33

Chimp
Apr 4, 2007
Werd... Thanks! Anyone else have any time on a Domain? Any thoughts on onepoinfive over 1 1/8th?

Neal

Chimp
Jun 7, 2004
Seattle
yup. I've had a domain since november...it's sweet. I replaced my 04 Jr T and it is WAY better. That fork sucked.

The Domain takes big hits nicely, adjusts on the fly and is stiff. It's a perfect fit for my 04 Cove G-spot with 6" rear travel.

I've got a Pike on my Cove Stiffee - and the Domain is much much much burlier and much more huckable. Get one and enjoy.

Jul 13, 2009
so wait... what's better an RC2x or the domain coil?

i'm also assuming that the domain can handle burlier stuff than the lyrik? is that true?

thanks,

TWeerts

Monkey
Jan 7, 2007
The Area Bay
honestly, best fork for $550. period. i will admit, i take care of my fork by re-building it every couple of rides, and it has treated me with nothing but outstanding performance.

admittingly, it doesnt compete with a BOS, or even a fox, but its VERY cheap.