Quantcast

rockshox domain not getting full travel

ALEXIS_DH

Tirelessly Awesome
Jan 30, 2003
Lima, Peru, Peru
i got a scott voltage fr a few ago..
it came with a 180mm domain 302, the fork has about 80 miles on it.

i did a 40 mile dh run :D while they were brand new . it took big hits nicely, but something didnt feel quite right (at least compared to my xc fork, a base model air tora) it didnt copy the terrain quite well on choppy small bumps... i suspected i wasnt getting full travel or rebound was set too high, and even with the rebound open all the way, i still felt that.

back in town, i did a couple 20 mile rides around the city.. with a ziptie on the stanchion to see how much travel i was getting.

the bike sags at about 30mm (total travel 180mm). i rode thru long stairs and stuff, but never plowed thru more than 120-130mm of travel. it does dive about 120mm if i do a stoppie brake.. so i´d suspect compression damping and not spring rate is to be suspicious about (though its not adjustable in my fork)

i jumped of a loading dock to flat, but even then it didnt bottom out. the ziptie traveled only about 150mm....

i measured the exposed stanchion and its barely 180mm... it would seem the crown would crush the fork seals at full travel....

what should i do?
i weight 70kg... is the stock spring too stiff? is the stock compression too high? did the fork come with too much/ too heavy oil? its not broken in yet?

thanks!

bohorec

Monkey
Jun 26, 2007
Stock spring is too stiff for you + domain needs a lot of time to break in (lubing the stanchions might speed up the process). However, since you have 302 edition, which really isn't a suspension wonder I would suggest you to rather sell it instead of replacing the spring while it's still relatively new. Get a 66 or something similar instead.