Quantcast

RockShox Pro Deluxe

BmxConvert

Monkey
Aug 6, 2007
Longview, Washington
So Being on the injury list I've got more time than money.
I've got a Rockshox Pro Deluxe from my 2004/5 GT DHI that I would like to get up and going. I'll end up buying a new shock eventually but for now, I want to try to get this rear shock running.

Here's what I have:

Left to right: End cap, snap ring, IFP(? correct), reservoir

Eyelet/shaft/piston assembly:

I pulled the whole thing apart for a few reasons.
1. There was no rebound damping. Compression adjust did a bit but not much. It pretty much just felt like an uncontrolled pogo stick.
2. The shock didn't seem to be pressurized. I could compress and extend the shock with my hands with no trouble.
This got me thinking that perhaps there was either no oil or no pressure inside and something needed to be changed.

Does anyone have any info on setting one of these things up?
Oil amount?
Oil weight?
Piston depth?
Should it be pressurized?

I honestly have never really done any work with anything other than air shocks. Push and a few other suspension service centers said they wouldn't work on it so here I am, looking for guidance from the RM suspension guru's.

BmxConvert

Monkey
Aug 6, 2007
Longview, Washington
I just need to make it last long enough to get 2-3 runs in to be sure that I can make the current geometry on my bike work for the rest of the year before I buy a new rear shock.
I sold my Demo and won't be buying a new bike until next year so I've got to try to stretch this bike a touch longer.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
I'm just playing. I don't see why the shock wouldn't work, if you replaced the seals and took care of it....but I don't know anything about it.

BmxConvert

Monkey
Aug 6, 2007
Longview, Washington
I'm still waiting on finding a hypodermic needle with the attachment to hook up to a shock pump.

Under the cap I could just drill out the bladder, press in a Specialized 2Bliss presta valve stem to seat up snug on the backside and seal it off to pressurize it... but then I would end up with a super ghetto hack job.

We used to have 3 or 4 of these shocks hanging around the shop. If I could have found them, I would have tried it as having spare parts would be convenient but I'll just wait and do it properly.