Quantcast

rockshox totem spring rate/dive

ALEXIS_DH

Tirelessly Awesome
Jan 30, 2003
Lima, Peru, Peru
so, my totem 2-step dives badly.

its at 100psi.
when i push hard on the bars, the springrate feels normal. I can land 5-6ft to flat without harsh bottoming out.

BUT, if i push it in a specific weight (slowly pushing down, with as little as 15kg of force), i can bottom it out, as if the air spring had no air on it.

this is very troublesome on technical parts, specially on long downhills... after 3000-4000ft of vertical descent, i can bottom out the fork just by sitting on it, if the bike is inclined 20º forward (pressure at 100psi).

it seems the spring rate changes drastically when the bike is tilted, or if the fork is pushed slowly down.

my lsc is set at 4, hsc at 0 clicks.

any ideas what could it be?

Wa-Aw

Monkey
Jul 30, 2010
Philippines
I rode a 2007 totem for a year and warrantied it for a 2010. The 2010 I had upgraded to motion control DH.

I had this problem with the 2007. The 2010 slightly but after awhile it stopped happening. It's been awhile but it might have been after changing a faulty o-ring in the 2 step.

This might be personal taste but I recommend you run the fork harder than you normally would. I ran mine hard enough that people would constantly try to school me when they parking-lot tested my bike. It opens up quite nicely when you're actually riding it. Like I said I'm not sure when the diving problem went away but it also might have been when I started running it harder. I also run significantly higher LSC than you.

I'll also add the rock shox stock oil (if there is any) is sh*t. I live in the tropics and after a season of riding the oil was basically water and had lost all thickness. A friend of mine who services forks recommends better aftermarket oil. The fork worked really well after he worked on it. I own a 2011 Fox 180 float and to be honest I miss my Totem. For parking lot tests and normal riding the fox wins hands down. But when you start going hard the Totem tracks much better and feels much less "bouncy" than the fox.

I suggest you keep at it. Get it serviced with some good oil. Run it harder and/or with more LSC. My mother's uncle's aunt told me that you need to run a little HSC for the LSC to work as intended but I have no idea whether that is applicable here. If memory serves me right I ran 4-6 clicks of HSC and 12ish clicks of LSC.