Quantcast

RockShox Vivid 5.1 Tune C on Izimu

TrumbullHucker

trumbullruxer
Aug 29, 2005
shimzbury, ct
what's shakin guys...

since the riding season is just around the corner, I've been starting to look for the new, appropriate components for my bike...

new chain, cables, shifter, maybe a new chainguide (I have been using a E. Thirteen DRS for about 2 seasons now :D ) and A NEW REAR SHOCK ( any monkey regulars would know this is probably my hundredth thread about a new shock for my Izimu.

The reason for such a delay for buying a rear shock is money and confusion. money is a simple problem
but I have heard alot of yays and nays on alot of shocks ( 5.0, vivid, roco ) for the Izimu
I was reading about the customized Tune settings that the Vivid has (a,b,c) and read about it on pink-trike..

http://www.pinkbike.com/news/2008RockShoxvivid51.html

If i did my math correctly( which is prob wrong :D ) an Izimu would enjoy a Tune C Vivid 5.1.
The reason for me looking in the direction of rockshox is because I see that they are slightly cheaper on the classifieds and ebay ( compared to a 5.0 ), and it seems that almost everyone has a 5.0 and i like being "that guy" not to have one and going against the flow. wierd huh? ( same thing with music, once a nice low stream band hits radio and goes incredibly popular, i start to hate then, like kings of leon :( or any radio music, for that matter. )

( why is this kid making a thread about choosing a rear shock when it seems like he already has his mind locked on a Vivid? )
because i would still love to hear your guys' input and your "ride stories"

whateverimafagwannafightaboutit?

thanks
jordan

jammie654

Chimp
Dec 15, 2009
Scotland
Vivid's Piss all over a DHX performance wise IMO.

I have run a DHX,Vivid 5.1 and now a CCDB on my Solid and the DHX truly was aweful, even tuned by TF for my weight and style it still felt dead and not very good. then i got the Vivid and even with the wrong tune( it had a B tune when my frame needed C tune) the performance was 10x better than a tuned DHX. Then the CCDB well its just awesome :p

HTH

J

If you can afford it, find a CCDB for the izimu. I raced on this set-up a couple seasons ago, and had my best season ever on it. The shock sucks up everything and the izimu is such a flickable, playful, pop over anything kind of bike, that you get the best of both worlds; a bike that rips and is just flat out fun as hell to ride. I know, I know, that shock is expensive. So worth it though. Haven't had any experience with the vivid, but anything has to be better then that fox.

motomike

Turbo Monkey
Jan 19, 2005
North Carolina
How much do you weigh? I had a Vivid on my Izimu for about a year, and only because I was waiting for Cane Creek to release their new version of the double barrel with the wider damping adjustments so it would work for my weight and the frame. In my personal experience, the Vivid was a terd. It never really felt right. That could be because I am a light rider and ran a 250# spring, but what I do know is the double barrel blew it out of the water right out of the box.