Quantcast

Rockshox Vivid Info: Pics and Weights

FCLinder

Turbo Monkey
Mar 6, 2002
Greenville, South Carolina
So I got my Rockshox Vivid 5.1 in today. Here are a few Pictures and Weights. I have already put it on my 07 Morewood Shova LT and I can say it feels way better than my Fox DHX Coil and DHX Air 5.0 felt. It is why easier to setup as well. Will have a ride report soon.
Weights:
• Vivid Shock with spring collars is 430 grams
• RS Special 1.5” ID spring 350lbs is 408 grams

pelo

Monkey
Jun 11, 2007
Im very interested in a ridereview. High/Low speed rebound with compression adjuster is pretty much all you need.
Another great thing about that shock is the lack of pressure-tuning for the piggy back. :thumb:

Good for you, by the way!

EM-EFER

Monkey
May 29, 2007
It will be good to have a known good rider review it. I don't trust alot of others that buy it and don't really know how to tune it.

FCLinder

Turbo Monkey
Mar 6, 2002
So far I can say its the next best thing to a Cane Creek DB that I have felt. Now this may all change when I get it out on the trail, but most of the time I am a good Judge of things rigth out of the box.

jvnixon

Turbo Monkey
May 14, 2006
SickLines.com
Nice, I plan on getting one as well.

Also for those who don't know morewood's, that is an 8.75" x 2.75" shock

edit: what spring weight did you have on your dhx 5 if you had one on there before?

pelo

Monkey
Jun 11, 2007
Is there something that says which tune it has? Is there an option for the market? I´ve heard "A" for the IH Sunday etc.

Dogboy

Turbo Monkey
Apr 12, 2004
Durham, NC
Is there something that says which tune it has? Is there an option for the market? I´ve heard "A" for the IH Sunday etc.
That's a very good question. It appears from the info I have that the aftermarket Vivids are the "B" tune. I haven't had my hands on an aftermarket shock, but there should be some indication on the packaging via an identifier in the part number.

FCLinder

Turbo Monkey
Mar 6, 2002
So what springs are compatible with the Vivid? I know RCS's won't fit, but can't seem to find the ID of a Manitou Ti spring. Anyone?
Right now the only option I know of is from:
http://www.obtainiumperformanceproducts.com/index.htm
The RCS and Manitou Ti Spring doesn't work. We already tried them. Now on that note you could get the RS Spring collers resized so the 1.4 ID Ti Springs fit, but the sides of the shock Bumper will also have to be shaved a bit for it to work.

Eren

Turbo Monkey
Mar 18, 2006
mill creek, WA (now in Surrey UK)
too bad they dont make 2.75 ti springs yet!!

And FCLinder, you going 50 pounds down to have the same feel/plushness as the DHX or your preference is changed/ or you want softer this year?

sorry for the confusing question, im just trying to figure out if i should rock the same as the dhx or one spring down

And FCLinder, you going 50 pounds down to have the same feel/plushness as the DHX or your preference is changed/ or you want softer this year?

sorry for the confusing question, im just trying to figure out if i should rock the same as the dhx or one spring down
Eren-

The 3.0 spring fits just fine on my 8.5 x 2.5 Vivid:

FCLinder

Turbo Monkey
Mar 6, 2002

I am saying drop 50lbs from what you normaly run on a DHX. Like I said I like a soft setup around 30+% sag. I was around 25+/-% Sag with the 350lb.

So I'm typically a 400-450 Ti spring user, and I went down to 375 (coming from Fox DHX and Marz Roco) - so that continues the trend of going with less spring weight for the Vivid.

From my conversations with Jim @ Obtainium - he makes the claim that comparable weight Obtainium springs weigh less than competitor's springs. I haven't actually measured them yet, but plan to when I get home.

pelo

Monkey
Jun 11, 2007
I guess I´ll stick with the same spring rate if I change for Vivid, I want it less plush.

toodles

ridiculously corgi proportioned
Aug 24, 2004
Australia
for my Sunday I had to go #50 lower
DHX: #300
VIVID: #250
That's interesting... I'm running a 350lb steel on the Vivid in my Sunday (coming from a 350 ti on a DHX/Roco) and it seems to suit. However, the "350" Ti spring I have always seemed harder than other 350 springs so it might have been off the mark somewhat already.

How are you running your Vivid? Is there any indication of the rumoured "A, B, etc" tunes? If so, are the shocks marked to indicate the tune?

I'm running LSR (beginning stroke rebound) all the way fast, and the HSR turned in just enough to stop the bike kicking me off jumps and whatnot. I'm only running one click of LSC at the moment.

fred.r

Dwangus Bogans
May 9, 2006
Now on that note you could get the RS Spring collers resized so the 1.4 ID Ti Springs fit, but the sides of the shock Bumper will also have to be shaved a bit for it to work.
How would you go about this?
And also, did you need different hardware for the Vivid from the DHX, or do they use the same size bushings?

davep

Turbo Monkey
Jan 7, 2005
seattle
The vivid uses standard 1/2" bushings. Same as fox, marz, 5th, romic...

Thus the same hardware for all above.

pelo

Monkey
Jun 11, 2007
Toodles, does it stay supple/active when increasing lsc? How does it feel compared to a DHX propedal lsc adjustment?

klunky

Turbo Monkey
Oct 17, 2003
Scotland
Could anyone explain why you need the 2 different rebound adjusters? Obviously there is a good reason for R.S. to do it but its not something I can picture needing. High and low compression is easy to understand and is pretty black and white but I dont get this?

fred.r

Dwangus Bogans
May 9, 2006
The vivid uses standard 1/2" bushings. Same as fox, marz, 5th, romic...

Thus the same hardware for all above.
Cool, I just finished an impulse order for a vivid.... the internet should be taken away from me. :monkeydance::disgust::banghead:

pelo

Monkey
Jun 11, 2007
Further down in suspension you normally want it slow to not kick you up too much, higher up fast for grip and activeness on roots and stuff. Or high/low speed if you like those terms better.

davep

Turbo Monkey
Jan 7, 2005
seattle
Could anyone explain why you need the 2 different rebound adjusters? Obviously there is a good reason for R.S. to do it but its not something I can picture needing. High and low compression is easy to understand and is pretty black and white but I dont get this?
The idea is to have more control over rebounds from deep travel to control bucking, yet allow minimal control over the first part of the travel allowing the wheel to rebound fast to stay in contact with small amplitude high freequency bumps.
A typical rebound circuit will be a comprimise between the two...
slow it down to control large movements, and you lack the rebound speed needed for high frequency traction....speed it up for maximum tracition, and you get kicking/bucking on large amplitude low frequency impacts.

You could accomlish the same think with a multi stage shim set up, it would just require some trial and error to set up for an individual rider/bike. The miltiple adjusters 'should' allow enough variance to be adjusted for multiple different set-ups/preferences.

toodles

Aug 24, 2004
Australia
Toodles, does it stay supple/active when increasing lsc? How does it feel compared to a DHX propedal lsc adjustment?
TBH, I haven't tried cranking it up. I just started with it wide open and increased it till the bike didn't blow through it's travel in corners. The Sunday tends to maintain ride height pretty well anyway so it only took one click.

klunky

Turbo Monkey
Oct 17, 2003
Scotland
The idea is to have more control over rebounds from deep travel to control bucking, yet allow minimal control over the first part of the travel allowing the wheel to rebound fast to stay in contact with small amplitude high freequency bumps.
A typical rebound circuit will be a comprimise between the two...
slow it down to control large movements, and you lack the rebound speed needed for high frequency traction....speed it up for maximum tracition, and you get kicking/bucking on large amplitude low frequency impacts.

You could accomlish the same think with a multi stage shim set up, it would just require some trial and error to set up for an individual rider/bike. The miltiple adjusters 'should' allow enough variance to be adjusted for multiple different set-ups/preferences.
Cheers! that makes sense and sounds like a good idea. Never thought I needed it personally but now Im thinking I might :monkeydance:

toodles

Aug 24, 2004
Australia
High and low compression is easy to understand and is pretty black and white but I dont get this?
Actually I rarely see the need for HSC adjusters. They usually end up being used as a band-aid for poor spring setup, and rarely work as intended.

Udi

RM Chief Ornithologist
Mar 14, 2005
Actually I rarely see the need for HSC adjusters. They usually end up being used as a band-aid for poor spring setup, and rarely work as intended.
I think it's plenty beneficial unless the HSC setting is spot on (or relatively close) out of the box. Conventionally it's just a preload adjuster for the spring responsible for the regression of LSC damping at higher speeds - if it's set too hard from factory you're going to have too much HSC, hence the benefit in being able to adjust it.

I'm pretty sure the stock setting is decent on the vivid so it's not a big deal, but in general it's a more important adjustment than speed/position sensitive rebound.

toodles

Aug 24, 2004
Australia
I think it's plenty beneficial unless the HSC setting is spot on (or relatively close) out of the box. Conventionally it's just a preload adjuster for the spring responsible for the regression of LSC damping at higher speeds - if it's set too hard from factory you're going to have too much HSC, hence the benefit in being able to adjust it.

I'm pretty sure the stock setting is decent on the vivid so it's not a big deal, but in general it's a more important adjustment than speed/position sensitive rebound.
That's not really a HSC adjuster though, more of a threshold adjustment. I can see the need for that, but being able to adjust the HSC externally? I'm not convinced it can be done properly, or that it's as usefull as seperate LSR/HSR adjustment.

Udi

RM Chief Ornithologist
Mar 14, 2005
What is HSC damping? Aside from the obvious definition of compression damping at high shaft speeds, I'd define it as a reduction of damping as shaft speed increases. Adjusting the threshold in most dampers I've seen (ie. point where damping starts regressing) is also going to change the amount of damping at a given shaft speed, so yeah I'd say what I described is a HSC adjuster.

What do you call a HSC adjuster? It's not like you can have an adjuster that actually changes a damper spring rate or shimstack, all you can do is add/reduce preload on the compression regression assembly.