Quantcast

Rockshox Vivid Info: Pics and Weights

Steve M

Turbo Monkey
Mar 3, 2007
Whistler
What is HSC damping? Aside from the obvious definition of compression damping at high shaft speeds, I'd define it as a reduction of damping as shaft speed increases. Adjusting the threshold in most dampers I've seen (ie. point where damping starts regressing) is also going to change the amount of damping at a given shaft speed, so yeah I'd say what I described is a HSC adjuster.

What do you call a HSC adjuster? It's not like you can have an adjuster that actually changes a damper spring rate or shimstack, all you can do is add/reduce preload on the compression regression assembly.
You could have something that reduced the preload spring's length, like a RS U-turn style setup, without increasing preload. That'd make it a stiffer rate without changing the threshold.

You know some bastard will probably run off and build/patent that idea now. Oh well.

muddy beast

Turbo Monkey
Nov 26, 2005
By any chance can you compare the length/location of the piggy back in comparison to the DHX 4/5 coil? I'm considering getting a coil on my Enduro and the vivid seems like another good possibility. However I'm worried about the piggy back since on the DHX it's supposed to be REALLY close to hitting the frame.

Thanks.

Eren

Turbo Monkey
Mar 18, 2006
mill creek, WA (now in Surrey UK)
By any chance can you compare the length/location of the piggy back in comparison to the DHX 4/5 coil? I'm considering getting a coil on my Enduro and the vivid seems like another good possibility. However I'm worried about the piggy back since on the DHX it's supposed to be REALLY close to hitting the frame.

Thanks.
you have a dhx 5 air, the ressy is the same size as the 5 coil basically.

but the vivid is somthing i wouldnt really know

C_Mo

Chimp
Jul 15, 2003
Sofia, Bulgaria
Is there something that says which tune it has? Is there an option for the market? I´ve heard "A" for the IH Sunday etc.
The eye ot eye, shaft travel and tune are engraved near the red rebound knob.

And according to SRAM...

If Leverage Ratio = Wheel Travel / Shock Travel

For flat rate
Tune A: 2.0-2.4 Leverage Ratio
Tune B: 2.4-2.85 Leverage Ratio
Tune C: 2.85-3.3 Leverage Ratio

For falling rate deduct 0.1 from the range.
For rising rate add 0.1 to the range.

In the 2008 spare parts list there is a part number for the different tunes - shims only and complete piston assy.

EM-EFER

Monkey
May 29, 2007
I ll post this before someone asks as well.

Divide the total suspension travel by the total shock stroke, and you get the OVERALL leverage ratio.

Wheel Travel
Shock stroke = Leverage Ratio

atwalker6

Chimp
Jul 23, 2007
yea my 08 ec-d came with the 5.1 and im loving it. super easy to set up and it truly has a different feel compared to the roco and dhx. awesome shock for sure!

Acadian

Born Again Newbie
Sep 5, 2001
Blah Blah and Blah
That's a very good question. It appears from the info I have that the aftermarket Vivids are the "B" tune. I haven't had my hands on an aftermarket shock, but there should be some indication on the packaging via an identifier in the part number.
there should be some engraved markings on the shaft eyelet - the last letter is the Tune (either A, B or C)

Care to post a review as well when you get some ride time? I and others would surely be interested in a DHX vs. Vivid on sunday comparison.
as many here pointed out before - I don't ride. I just like to collect bike parts in the back of my Bandwagon.

SDH Racing

Monkey
Apr 5, 2006
NE
Looks good. I wonder how it would compare to the Manitou swinger 6, Revox ISX and Marzocchi Roco TSTR shocks.

davep

Turbo Monkey
Jan 7, 2005
seattle

Thanks.
there are drawings of the vivid (blueprints) on the sram site with all relative measurements.....service->user specs and standards->vivid

fred.r

Dwangus Bogans
May 9, 2006
Any updates? Dialed in yet? Tips?

I just put my Vivid on today. Feels quite a bit different from the DHX. I always had trouble getting the DHX to act exactly how I wanted it to. Got it pretty damn close, but it always left something to be desired.
Rode all morning on the new shock. I ended up starting w/ a 50 lbs lighter spring than I was running on the DHX. My sag stayed spot on for some reason. Felt great.
Tuning wise, I cranked the low speed rebound really really fast, I maybe have 3 clicks left, left the high speed the same. Added 4 clicks from stock of the low speed comp. Seems to still track the ground great, pedaling didn't really suffer either.
To be quite honest, the hi/low speed rebound is throwing me off. Still trying to figure this out. The concept I get, just trying to figure out what forces do what to the rebound in relation to the compression. My rebound issue isn't getting bounced off in landing, it's getting bucked off lips. Seems like low speed rebound would be the usual suspect, not the high.
Other than that, my out of the box, blind adjusting already feels better than 3 months of tuning my DHX. A big plus 1 for the Vivid. The only way I can think of to describe the difference in feel is the Vivid feels like it has a bigger flow. It's smoother, transitions easier, makes your wheels feel like they roll over things better. A lot of the chop sections on my trails where you could feel your rear end bouncing around and off rocks became straight, trackable lines. I didn't dive hard into my travel when pushing hard in the berms. I'm super excited about actually getting this thing dialed, especially since it already feels this nice. Which actually brings me to the point of this post... Where do I go from here? It already feels great, I don't know what else to do to make it feel even better. But knowing that I've basically only turned some knobs with a rough understanding of the shock, and having only ridden it once, means that this thing can only get better. I'm just stuck not knowing what to do next, since this is the best a shocks ever felt to me.
BTW, anyone want a well taken care of DHX or a Ti spring?

Heckled

Chimp
Feb 1, 2006
Ya a Steel Spring you will have to get from RS or get your LBS to order one from them for you.
What is the spring's ID required, I know you previously gave it as 1.5" are you sure thats the case?
If it is many off the shelf springs will fit, Romics have a 2" ID. (There are no vivid springs in the UK...)

Cheers

Ian Collins

Turbo Monkey
Oct 4, 2001
Pacific Beach, San Diego, CA
Tuning wise, I cranked the low speed rebound really really fast,

My rebound issue isn't getting bounced off in landing, it's getting bucked off lips.
okay......getting bucked off lips means you need to slow down the low speed rebound, and maybe compression......

how much the suspension moves around when you lean back, hit the brakes, compress in a berm, hit a jump, or make any weight adjustments while on the trail are all the kinds of movement that is controlled by low speed damping......stutter bumps, hard impacts, and square edge hits are controlled by high speed......more low speed damping will make the bike less wallowy....less apt to pitch and roll....more balanced.......

toodles

ridiculously corgi proportioned
Aug 24, 2004
Australia
I'm running my beginning stroke rebound all the way fast, with juuust enough end stroke rebound to stop it "kicking" off jumps. Shock feels superb - I like it much better than the Roco and DHX shocks I've tried despite the weight penalty. I'm keen to organise a Ti spring for it, but still waiting to see the weights on the Obtanium springs (anyone get an email response from them?).

dh_newbie

Monkey
Jun 7, 2006
Hong Kong
I'm running my beginning stroke rebound all the way fast, with juuust enough end stroke rebound to stop it "kicking" off jumps. Shock feels superb - I like it much better than the Roco and DHX shocks I've tried despite the weight penalty. I'm keen to organise a Ti spring for it, but still waiting to see the weights on the Obtanium springs (anyone get an email response from them?).
Unfortunely my judge can't use the vivid...I envy you can use it..

By the way, did anyone have inform how "Mick Hannah" bike can fit the vivid?
Did anyone have more picture?

ti-bender

Chimp
Jan 21, 2008
Redmond, WA
So what springs are compatible with the Vivid? I know RCS's won't fit, but can't seem to find the ID of a Manitou Ti spring. Anyone?

We designed our titanium spring around the Vivid. Of course with that in mind our springs are adaptable to most high end shocks using our Performance Adapters. Also keep in mind that if you are using a 3.00 stroke Vivid a spacer is needed due to the titanium spring being shorter than a steel spring but the same spring can be used a 2.75 inch stroke Vivid without the spacer.

http://obtainiumperformanceproducts.com/about.htm

Supernaut

Chimp
Feb 12, 2007
Oslo, Norway
okay......getting bucked off lips means you need to slow down the low speed rebound, and maybe compression......

how much the suspension moves around when you lean back, hit the brakes, compress in a berm, hit a jump, or make any weight adjustments while on the trail are all the kinds of movement that is controlled by low speed damping......stutter bumps, hard impacts, and square edge hits are controlled by high speed......more low speed damping will make the bike less wallowy....less apt to pitch and roll....more balanced.......

Getting bucked off lips might actually be an issue related to the high speed rebound. If your shock compresses alot when you hit the jump, there is a lot of stored energy in the spring that would be handled by the high-speed damping.
Could be wrong tho..