Quantcast

Rockshox Vivid Info: Pics and Weights

miuan

Monkey
Jan 12, 2007
Bratislava, Slovakia
My impression was the the Roco rebound knob did the same as the compression knob on rc3 888s. Control the general damping amount with the hi-lo ratio being preset. Isn't it the same with roco rebound? When I had a couple of bounces with one, I felt it would stay compressed longer after a serious hit, while small bumps were almost undamped. Might have been just my impression though, but this is what I desire from DH shocks. I haven't found this anywhere else so sorry for derailing.

FCLinder

Turbo Monkey
Mar 6, 2002
Greenville, South Carolina
Have something coming in soon from ti-bender for my Vivid. It will make my Vivid not only feel and look good, but will also make it feel like it ws on a Diet!!!! Pictures and ride report coming soon to a Ridemonkey web site near you.

Cecil

toodles

ridiculously corgi proportioned
Aug 24, 2004
Australia
Have something coming in soon from ti-bender for my Vivid. It will make my Vivid not only feel and look good, but will also make it feel like it ws on a Diet!!!! Pictures and ride report coming soon to a Ridemonkey web site near you.

Cecil
Really? I haven't had any luck getting a reply out of Obtanium springs. Pretty keen to try out one of their springs on my 9.5 x 3.0 Vivid.

FCLinder

Turbo Monkey
Mar 6, 2002
Really? I haven't had any luck getting a reply out of Obtanium springs. Pretty keen to try out one of their springs on my 9.5 x 3.0 Vivid.
Use their online ordering to get one. They have stock. You will need to get the Rock Shox Space Adapter for the 3" stroke shock. Their springs were designed around the Vivid but can work with most shocks out there.

http://www.obtainiumperformanceproducts.com/products.htm

toodles

ridiculously corgi proportioned
Aug 24, 2004
Australia
Use their online ordering to get one. They have stock. You will need to get the Rock Shox Space Adapter for the 3" stroke shock. Their springs were designed around the Vivid but can work with most shocks out there.

http://www.obtainiumperformanceproducts.com/products.htm
Yeah but I want to know what they weigh first, plus the online ordering system won't let me add the necessary spacer for the 3" Vivid shock.

A.P

Monkey
Nov 21, 2005
boston
Can anyone else correlate the supposed 50lb spring differences between a dhx? I'm ordering mine tomorrow and wondering If I should go down 50 lbs as others have suggested. I don't see how the valving could be effecting static sag considering they are similar shocks, unless there was a platform, which neither the DHX or vivid have. Or is there another explanation?

davep

Turbo Monkey
Jan 7, 2005
seattle
I dont think static sag will change at all, but there could be a large change in dynamic sag point due to differences in damping.

The CCDB does this (if set up in that way). You can run more LSC to control over compression/chassis movement, giving a higher dymanic sag (time averaged ride height)...

The key is to have independant control over HSC as well as the transition point from LSC to HSC. You should be able to ride higher, giving more usable/reserve travel, limmit chassis movement, and all the while allowing the suspension to 'open up' to for high speed impacts no matter the amplitude.

Orfen

Monkey
Feb 22, 2004
UP, michigan
We designed our titanium spring around the Vivid. Of course with that in mind our springs are adaptable to most high end shocks using our Performance Adapters. Also keep in mind that if you are using a 3.00 stroke Vivid a spacer is needed due to the titanium spring being shorter than a steel spring but the same spring can be used a 2.75 inch stroke Vivid without the spacer.
At the premium price Ti springs go for these days, I would expect it to fit my shock without the need of a spacer. I can understand the desire to save weight (especially on a 3" stroke spring where the weight-saving is considerable over steel) but in this case you'll probably also see a slight decrease in performance by using a spring that is too short.

fred.r

Dwangus Bogans
May 9, 2006
Can anyone else correlate the supposed 50lb spring differences between a dhx? I'm ordering mine tomorrow and wondering If I should go down 50 lbs as others have suggested. I don't see how the valving could be effecting static sag considering they are similar shocks, unless there was a platform, which neither the DHX or vivid have. Or is there another explanation?
I went 50lbs down from my DHX spring. Feels good, and I'm not bottoming with the Vivid where I should have with the DHX running it slightly under sprung.
And your right, static sag should be altered running the lighter spring. Mine wasn't though.... still trying to figure that one out. Stayed a consistent 1/3 of stroke. Could be the slack tolerances of my Vivid steel spring vs. the more accurate tolerances of my DHX Ti spring. But I dunno. :imstupid:

DHRracer

Monkey
Sep 29, 2004
At the premium price Ti springs go for these days, I would expect it to fit my shock without the need of a spacer. I can understand the desire to save weight (especially on a 3" stroke spring where the weight-saving is considerable over steel) but in this case you'll probably also see a slight decrease in performance by using a spring that is too short.
The only way you would see a decrease in performance is if the spring did not have enough travel.Ignore the free length,if the springs stroke allows for proper preload and still has enough travel for your shock where do you get a decrease in performance?What is your opion of the benefit of Ti for springs?Or anybody out there,list your pros and cons of Ti for springs.

djamgils

Monkey
Aug 31, 2007
Holland
I have never ridden a Ti spring but what I hear from some people is that the ride feals dead. So if that would be true then the only pro would be weight and the cons are price, feeling and with the obtanium springs you dont use the weight advantage because you need a spacer.

What I dont understand is why a Ti spring would feel different. What is different with Ti then Steel that makes is feel different?

William42

fork ways
Jul 31, 2007
yeah...that makes sense. I mean, if it takes 300 lbs to bottom a steel spring, and 300 lbs to bottom a ti spring, and both are linear or have the same rising rate, that means that one should "feel" like, more "dead" dude. But still man, its like, totally off the hook bra

my guess is they wanted to feel something different after shelling out a couple hundred dollars and their mind started coming up with answers.

FCLinder

Turbo Monkey
Mar 6, 2002
but what I hear from some people is that the ride feals dead.
I don't know who told you this but its not ture. Both Steel and Ti feel very close to the same. If anything I have always felt Ti felt a little better. Guess its just the weight difference really. I would say the guys that told you this may not have their shocks setup right for their weight (Just a thought).

djamgils

Monkey
Aug 31, 2007
Holland
I don't know who told you this but its not ture. Both Steel and Ti feel very close to the same. If anything I have always felt Ti felt a little better. Guess its just the weight difference really. I would say the guys that told you this may not have their shocks setup right for their weight (Just a thought).
One of the guys works at a dutch motorcycle susp comany. He and some other testriders expierenced that the Ti springs felt harder. And his opinion also was that a Ti spring should be replaced after 1 year use because it can suddenly break. Could be that that is based on his experiences from 10 years ago.

FCLinder

Turbo Monkey
Mar 6, 2002
One of the guys works at a dutch motorcycle susp comany. He and some other testriders expierenced that the Ti springs felt harder. And his opinion also was that a Ti spring should be replaced after 1 year use because it can suddenly break. Could be that that is based on his experiences from 10 years ago.
Cool I can respect that, but from my 12+ years of racing experience I have never have those problems with MT Ti Springs. Most all of my Race bikes have always had Ti springs and I normally keep the same Ti spring year over year unless I need to change spring rates due to new bikes. I know guys that have had the same Ti spring for almost 6+ years. Never a problem and it still feels like it did new.

My 2 cents, as I don't work for a Suspension Company or never had..

Biffff

Monkey
Jan 10, 2006
That looks like an air valve on the resevoir. Possibly for bottom out control> I thought somebody said early the Vivid had no air adjustment?

pelo

Monkey
Jun 11, 2007
In the sram manual it says to be inflated with 200psi (after sevice) and not ment to be tuned by the rider, to eliminate the chance of a bad setup.

djamgils

Monkey
Aug 31, 2007
Holland
Cool I can respect that, but from my 12+ years of racing experience I have never have those problems with MT Ti Springs. Most all of my Race bikes have always had Ti springs and I normally keep the same Ti spring year over year unless I need to change spring rates due to new bikes. I know guys that have had the same Ti spring for almost 6+ years. Never a problem and it still feels like it did new.

My 2 cents, as I don't work for a Suspension Company or never had..
could be that his experiences where based on older Ti springs from other combinations of metals or something. But like I said before I never tried it myself so... I find it a lot of money just to save 200grams or something like that. But maybe I should just try it at least once.

And to be in topic regarding the vivid. I just ordered one, should be here in about 2 weeks. Hope it fits on the bike, its a socom, somebody?

djamgils

Monkey
Aug 31, 2007
Holland
just got the shock today and I had some trouble installing the spring.
I have the 300lbs spring and with the preload ring all the way to the top I had some difficultys squizing in the collar, with some force it got in. But now I am wondering how I can ever get it of. Because I could use the collar as a lever.

But besides that it felt good in a parking lot test but I will try it out on the trail tomorrow. I also thought it would be heavier then the dhx but it is a difference of max 50gram.

How much clicks should the HSR have? because I can barely feel 4 clicks.

FCLinder

Turbo Monkey
Mar 6, 2002
I have the 300lbs spring and with the preload ring all the way to the top I had some difficultys squizing in the collar, with some force it got in. But now I am wondering how I can ever get it of. Because I could use the collar as a lever.

But besides that it felt good in a parking lot test but I will try it out on the trail tomorrow. I also thought it would be heavier then the dhx but it is a difference of max 50gram.

How much clicks should the HSR have? because I can barely feel 4 clicks.
Did you get a RS spring? Funny as mine went streight on with no problems. I just got my Obtainium Performance Ti spring in yesterday. It went on great!!!!!

Acadian

Born Again Newbie
Sep 5, 2001
Blah Blah and Blah
Mine was the same - just required a bit more muscling that's all.

djamgils

Monkey
Aug 31, 2007
Holland
where on the shock is it printed what tune it is because I cant find it. edit: just read that it should be on the shaft eyelet. Is that the eye where the mounting hardware goes in on the side of the shaft?

something about the tunes I dont understand. I have 8" travel with a 3" shock so that is a 2,66 leverage ratio, according to that I need a B tune. the sunday has the same travel and stroke so why does the sunday need the A tune?

sethimus

neu bizutch
Feb 5, 2006
not in Whistler anymore :/
so i have a 06 shova lt /w roco wc. should i give it to push/motopitkan or take a vivid? i do mostly bikepark runs and ride the high alpine stuff with lots of steps in steep, rough terrain. i want more small bump sensitiveness but also a little less to no pedal bob.

FCLinder

Turbo Monkey
Mar 6, 2002
so i have a 06 shova lt /w roco wc. should i give it to push/motopitkan or take a vivid? i do mostly bikepark runs and ride the high alpine stuff with lots of steps in steep, rough terrain. i want more small bump sensitiveness but also a little less to no pedal bob.
I can't speak for the roco as I have never been on one. But as Small Bump sensitivity goes, the Vivid is much better than the DHX without as much pedal bob as the DHX has with the Pro pedal all the way on.

Hope this helps.

FCLinder

Turbo Monkey
Mar 6, 2002
Wow I didn't think this shock could get better!!!!

http://www.pinkbike.com/news/Push-Industries-2008-Special-Race-program.html

The first program for test riders will be focused around the new Rock Shox Vivid rear shock. Specifically the Santa Cruz V10 and Iron Horse Sunday platforms, as both of these bikes have unique characteristics. The new PUSH World Cup Tune features separate external Hi and Low speed compression adjust, bringing the Vivid into the company of the Cane Creek Double Barrel as a completely adjustable 4-way damping system. This combined with new proprietary seal and wiper systems designed specifically for maximum sealability and minimum friction, 5th generation VxR high flow internal main cylinder piston, reservoir extension for increased oil and gas volume, bottoming system, and position-locking adjustable spring retainer all ensure that this unit will be ready to rip!

S.K.C.

Turbo Monkey
Feb 28, 2005
Pa. / North Jersey
Hey guys here is a cross post from the "Sunday Thread" for all you Sunday owners:

Somebody asked about shock tunes for a VIVID and there was some debate as to the Rock Shox tune for the Sunday. Because of the dw-link's position sensitive anti-squat curve, and the bike's leverage rate curve, Rock Shox developed the "A Level" tune for the bike.

Keep in mind that the Sunday was designed to use a damper with some end travel ramp, so set your shock up accordingly.

Dave
... so that's straight from the source.

OB1

Monkey
Any suggestions for initiall setup on mine? I rode it for the first time yesterday...and I kept feeling like I was riding on my rim in the rear! Bang, bang, bang! I even stopped twice to check my tire pressure. Mostly noticed this in the rock gardens at med-high speeds. Annoying!

Vivid "A" tune 350 spring
IH SundayWC large
180lb(+10 when dressed up)