Quantcast

Rockshox Vivid Info: Pics and Weights

pelo

Monkey
Jun 11, 2007
That´s pretty confusing information... Hehe... I thought it was supposed to be smooth with the A-tune? I´m currently considering either the B or A-tune.

Downhill is so techy-messy.

May 16, 2008
Okay so i just got my new sunday WC and the vivid blew after 3 days on the shock. Before getting pissed off I a took a step back knowing that this could happen to any shock. Until i spoke to a friend of mine who has been working for RS. He tells me to get rid of the thing. If i want a race shock that needs constant attention get the RS. If you want a shock that can with stand constant riding everyday get a rocco. had one on my sunday all last year in the WB bike park and it worked amazing 97 days in the park and it felt better at the end of the season than in the begginning. It would be sweet to see RS build somehting that is not only fast but can go a week without new seals.

hmm wishful thinking i guess

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Maybe they'll come out with the Coupe Delux next!

That's kind of dissapointing though, I was considering a vivid for my next shock, but all this hassle with tunes and such, I just ponied up for the Avy instead a few weeks ago.

WhoRyder

Turbo Monkey
Nov 28, 2007
NYC
Hey guys, i just rode the RockShox Vivid 5.1 (i got the 9.5x3.0) on my Morewood Izimu DH

This thing is awesome:

right now i'm running a 350.00 spring, but plan on getting a Ti 300 spring to make is "plush"..... so far so good.... though, i have to get to knwo the shock a little better but i think i'm liking it so far!

RD

Monkey
Jul 31, 2003
Boston, MA
Hey guys, i just rode the RockShox Vivid 5.1 (i got the 9.5x3.0) on my Morewood Izimu DH

This thing is awesome:

right now i'm running a 350.00 spring, but plan on getting a Ti 300 spring to make is "plush"..... so far so good.... though, i have to get to knwo the shock a little better but i think i'm liking it so far!
I recommend you get rid of the crownwheel with that LG1; the offset teeth make it so you cannot lower the upper slider low enough. A SuperSpider and guide ring will be plenty strong/stiff and allow for proper guide adjustment as opposed to your current configuration.

whatever

Chimp
Oct 19, 2008
I`m waiting for my new frame (Giant Glory) and I`ll mount a Vivid on it. On the Glory is the stock shock DHX 5.0 coil which as I said, I`ll change.
My question is: do I have to change the shock bushes or they will fit into the eyelets of the vivid without problems?
Do the bushes have to go inside with (a lot) force or it's just needed a gently push? So the shock must be firm when its mounted into the frame?

TGR

Monkey
Jan 9, 2006
Been riding mine since the end of july, been awesome so far, the adjustments are pretty easy to dial in and I think it's the most "user-friendly" shock on the market... It comes with an entire guide to set up your shock and you can even download a "trailside tuning guide" which gives some basic, easy to set, settings, that can suit different courses.

The feeling is, according to me, way better than the dhx 5 I had before, it has a more "lively" feeling than the dhx too.

Ian Collins

Turbo Monkey
Oct 4, 2001
Pacific Beach, San Diego, CA
I'm guessing the shaft broke, and i'm guessing it broke because they use such a long bushing/shaft seal....i know RS was hyping about how that increases stiffness, but i'm guessing if it cant flex as much it be more prone to failure......i could be wrong though......

TGR

Monkey
Jan 9, 2006
I saw 4 roccos break this summer so I'm not too worried with the strength of a vivid, anything can break...

fred.r

Dwangus Bogans
May 9, 2006
No, I have seen that pretty often this summer. One friend had to send his back 3 times for the broken shaft problem. They say that the shaft unscrews itself.
Happened to me right at the beginning of the season. The shaft just unscrewed from the rebound side eyelet. SRAM sent me a new one, it took six weeks, and I haven't thrown it on my bike since. Been running my old DHX. I wish I felt comfortable putting the Vivid back on though, as it did ride noticeably better than the DHX. Gonna send the DHX into push next week to see if I can't get it feeling better.
PS, brand new Vivid for sale.

DarrylB

Monkey
Jan 16, 2008
the secret loam!
After three rebuilds and the shaft unscrewing itself. I have gotten sick and tired of fiddling with the adjustments, I have put my Vivid on the shelf.

replaced it with a 5th Element with a Fox shim stack. Probably the plushest shock I have ever ridden.

thanks to James at http://www.suspensionwerx.com

General Lee

Turbo Monkey
Oct 16, 2003
The 802
After three rebuilds and the shaft unscrewing itself. I have gotten sick and tired of fiddling with the adjustments, I have put my Vivid on the shelf.

replaced it with a 5th Element with a Fox shim stack. Probably the plushest shock I have ever ridden.

thanks to James at http://www.suspensionwerx.com
just curious, but it occur to you to check your shock once in a while after this happened the first time (or the second?). I give my bike a once-over every few runs and a fairly thorough check of the parts prone to coming loose after every riding/training session; this always includes shock and pivot hardware. discovered my vivid's shafts was unthreading mid-day at Diablo and fixed it with a bit of loctite and a wrench. something in my rear suspension felt like it had a few mm of play and i decided to figure out what it was before i kept riding (i suggest more people try this approach with their own bikes, less headaches down the road). have checked it every few runs since mid June with no problems.

preventative maintenance: live it, learn it, love it.

Steve M

Turbo Monkey
Mar 3, 2007
Whistler
just curious, but it occur to you to check your shock once in a while after this happened the first time (or the second?). I give my bike a once-over every few runs and a fairly thorough check of the parts prone to coming loose after every riding/training session; this always includes shock and pivot hardware. discovered my vivid's shafts was unthreading mid-day at Diablo and fixed it with a bit of loctite and a wrench. something in my rear suspension felt like it had a few mm of play and i decided to figure out what it was before i kept riding (i suggest more people try this approach with their own bikes, less headaches down the road). have checked it every few runs since mid June with no problems.

That's all well and good except that it's the only shock I've ever seen or heard of it happening to. One guy over here had the piston head come off the piston, how are you meant to preventatively maintain that? Answer: you can't, that's the factory's responsibility.

DarrylB

Monkey
Jan 16, 2008
the secret loam!

Felt like a really bad DU bushing, it was a constant rattle, like really bad chain slap. I took it in right away and got er fixed. He went over everything, and gave it locktite where it was needed. a few rides later and the rattle returned. From then on I had been constantly fiddling with the shock and the rear end of my bike. Another rebuild and a few good rides later, the rattle returns. It got to the point of buddies not wanting to go riding with me because I was constantly messing around with the shock and my bike.

But I'm happy now, the custom Fox Element is killer.

PepperJester

Monkey
Jul 9, 2004
Wolfville NS
Happened to me right at the beginning of the season. The shaft just unscrewed from the rebound side eyelet. SRAM sent me a new one, it took six weeks, and I haven't thrown it on my bike since. Been running my old DHX. I wish I felt comfortable putting the Vivid back on though, as it did ride noticeably better than the DHX. Gonna send the DHX into push next week to see if I can't get it feeling better.
PS, brand new Vivid for sale.

Not like the shaft unscrewing it's self it just a vivid issue. I've had this happen to my DHX and a Van RC I had years ago.