Quantcast

Rockshox Vivid R2C Coil makes weird noise

JustApply

Chimp
Jun 20, 2020
Germany
I just got a brand new YT Tues Base today but noticed that my Rockshox Vivid R2C makes some sort of bottoming out / top out noise. Is that normal or is it broken? I am really worrying about this. By the way it's extremely loud

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
If you hold the seat and just slightly lift up and down, leaving the wheel touching the ground, do you feel any play anywhere?

How much preload do you have on the spring? You might have over tightened it and are hearing it top out?

JustApply

Chimp
Jun 20, 2020
Germany
When I hold the bike on my saddle, there is no play. The Rockshox and the wheel are working normal (no play). I don't know how tight the spring is but a few hours ago I screwed it up completely and screwed it down again. Its not so tight, just tight enough to hold the spring.

JustApply

Chimp
Jun 20, 2020
Germany
Can you get it to make the noise with real weight on the bike, not just plopping it down like that?
Yeah, I can record myself doing a bunnyhop. Btw It's kinda hard to write on here. Can we maybe write on Discord for Live chat and sending vids? Apply#0004

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
Nope.

That's about all I've got anyway. If you can check all those things one at a time, you should be able to narrow it down. Hard to tell without being able to hold the bike in person. If you cant figure it out, any de ent bike shop that deals with good suspension bikes should be able to figure it out.

Loki87

Monkey
Aug 24, 2008
Salzburg, Austria
Is your headset properly tightened? That kinda sounds like a crownrace not properly set and tightened.
Have you tried tightening the spring a little more? If it´s only loosely tightened, it may simply not be tight enough. Give it a few more turns and see if that changes anything. Is the spring the right diameter? If it´s an aftermarket spring not suited for the Vivid it may not fit the spring collar perfectly and bounce around.

Does it also make the sound when the wheels do not leave the ground, just heavily compressing the suspension while standing on the bike?

troy

Turbo Monkey
Dec 3, 2008
You sure it is not comming from the cassette? Maybe its loose or Your b tension on the derailleur is way off and jokey wheel hits the cassette?

Electric_City

Torture wrench
Apr 14, 2007
My Rockshit vivid used to top out on green runs and technical trails. I took my old DHX 5.0 and had Avalanche tune it. I listed the RS on ebay and several other places. After a whole year I sold it for $100 with 3 days on it. POS.