Quantcast

Rockshox Yari/Lyrik Coil Conversion

Inclag

Turbo Monkey
Sep 9, 2001
MA
So for 17-19 Yari/Lyrik chassis's, does anyone know if there is any compatibility between them and the spring shafts for either Boxxer's, Domains, or older MY 170mm Coil Lyriks?

I came across some German posts that were suggestive of this, but don't want to begin purchasing anything on a whim.

I'd like to try to bump my fork up to 180mm and to coil. I'm aware that in the past there was some cross compatibility with swapping out air/coil shafts. There are other challenges such as finding a spring and seating the spring against a top cap, but I think.......that should be something that could be figured out.

So anyone try any tinkering like this to avoid $300 Push upgrades?

Inclag

Turbo Monkey
Sep 9, 2001
MA
Cool, so the spring shafts seats against the lowers properly without any modifications? How much did you need to compress and preload the stock 170mm spring? Any chance you could take a free length measurement of the spring?

It's been a while since I played with a rock rock spring shaft, but does anyone recall if the spring seat on the top of the shafts we're removable? I thought they were, but not 100% sure. If so then I would think getting a Boxxer shaft would be the most widely accessable part floating out there. Pop off the seat, remove 20mm from the shaft, pop seat back on and then we'd have a 180mm spring shaft.

Inclag

Turbo Monkey
Sep 9, 2001
MA
Hrmmm, ok. Guess, I'll move ahead with getting a spring shaft sorted out first and then try to take measurements. Not too sure I would want to compress a spring 20mm. That's a fair amount of preload.

As it stands, it seems like there's limited but still floating out there stock of older Lyrik and Domain springs. There's some Fox stuff too, but since those were for 36mm stanchions the fit maybe tight.

Both Cane Creek and MRP also have springs now for 35mm forks as well. My guess is that these ought to fit fine with Lyriks and Pikes, but depending on the specifics of the spring, they may not support over 160mm travel.

I'll update my findings as I proceed...

Edit

From MTBR

Ribbon Coil Spring Dimensions and Rates
Free Length: 317.5mm (+/- 2.5mm) / 12.5” (+/- .1”)
Outer Diameter: 30.1mm / 1.2”
Rate in N/mm (+/- 7%): X-Soft 5.5, Soft 6.9, Medium 8.2, Firm 9.6, X-Firm 10.5
Rate in lbs/in (+/- 7%): X-Soft 31, Soft 39, Medium 47, Firm 55, X-Firm 60

Last edited:

Inclag

Turbo Monkey
Sep 9, 2001
MA
Saw that. Looks interesting.

It looks like the lower spring perch is mounted to the lowers instead of being mounted to the bottom of the stanchion? Should permit the used of a longer spring and allow for higher spring rates but not sure how I feel about the edge of the stanchion passing by the spring as it compresses even if there is an inner sleeve.

djjohnr

Turbo Monkey
Apr 21, 2002
Northern California
That’s Canadian dollars, so still cheaper until Cheeto figures out how to tank the US dollar. Also available in smaller spring increments, can change travel without spending another $300, and available in 180mm.

ChrisRobin

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2002
Vancouver
Everyone's gripe with the push coil conversion was the price.

So steve makes a more expensive one. One specfically price-formulated to exactly four hundred twenty dollars......

and sixty nine cents

I think he's getting cynical. It's good to see.
It's 420 CAD. So just over 300 USD.

Steve M

Turbo Monkey
Mar 3, 2007
Whistler
Is it just me, but I see both a Pot and a Sex joke in teh costz.

420 and 69 - really? :rofl:
Well we decided to call it the Smashpot, based on the words smash and dashpot, and when we were calculating prices it came out that they'd need to be about $425CAD to be worthwhile. At that point, given the recent legalization of weed in Canada and the fact that it's guaranteed* to get you laid, it became quite obvious that it'd be rude not to price it at $420.69...

*eventually, probably

scottishmark

Turbo Monkey
May 20, 2002
Somewhere dark, cold & wet....
Has anyone been able to compared a converted Pike/Lyrik to a converted Yari? I've got a converted Pike, which is generally good but does occasionally have an interesting* bottom out, so wasn't sure if the cheapo damper in the Yari might make this better/worse (new bike has a Yari on it so I'm not just swapping fork for the hell of it). If I can get away with just a spring kit from CRConception I'd be quite happy saving a chunk of cash over waiting for the Vorspung version

*like an old Z1 level of interesting, but seemingly when I least expect it to happen

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
The hell?, the Yari IS the Lyrik chassis. Einhorn IS Finkle.

I swapped my avy damper out of my Lyrik and into a Yari last season, just bolted right up and now I have a Yarilanche.

Last edited:

scottishmark

Turbo Monkey
May 20, 2002
Thought the Yari was the Lyrik chassis, or is the newer Pike chassis now the same as the other 2??

It was the effect of the change in damper is was thinking about - but then MoCo/MiCo and a coil spring were just fine in old Boxxers...

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Thought the Yari was the Lyrik chassis, or is the newer Pike chassis now the same as the other 2??

It was the effect of the change in damper is was thinking about - but then MoCo/MiCo and a coil spring were just fine in old Boxxers...
****, that's what I meant to say.

toodles

ridiculously corgi proportioned
Aug 24, 2004
Australia

Pretty sure Yari/Lyrik is the same chassis and Pike/Revelation is the same chassis.

Inclag

Turbo Monkey
Sep 9, 2001
MA
That CRConception kit is interesting. Appears to be effectively the same thing as finding old stock Rockshox parts.

Certainly not as cheap as old replacement parts, but then again those are turning out to be a hard thing to find....

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
Moar ENDUROz, no engine, you won’t like
If I don't like it it'll have fuck all to do with the engine.
what is it?
More importantly do you actually ride it?
If so. let me know when so we can ride together.
it's been too long.

mykel

closer to Periwinkle
Apr 19, 2013
sw ontario canada
@scottishmark a Yari will be way better with a proper damper and the original spring than with a top notch spring and a rubbish damper. My 2 cents
In other words.... The damper is what controls the spring motion.

A crap damper will be crap at controlling a mediocre spring.
A crap damper will be crap at controlling a good spring.

A good damper will do well at controlling a mediocre spring.
A good damper will do well at controlling a good spring.

Pick your poison.

Inclag

Turbo Monkey
Sep 9, 2001
MA
For those with single crown coil forks, how much preload do you find is imparted on the spring from the top cap? I'm assuming a reasonably small amount like 4mm?

scottishmark

Turbo Monkey
May 20, 2002
Something like that, probably 2-4mm with the spacers I currently have.

FWIW, I now have a Charger 2 damper in the (fork formerly known as) Yari with the coil. Works very nicely, and seems to ramp up a little more than my old (Charger 1) Pike, not sure why but it works for me

Inclag

Turbo Monkey
Sep 9, 2001
MA
Something like that, probably 2-4mm with the spacers I currently have.

FWIW, I now have a Charger 2 damper in the (fork formerly known as) Yari with the coil. Works very nicely, and seems to ramp up a little more than my old (Charger 1) Pike, not sure why but it works for me
How did you end up converting to coil?