Quantcast

Rocky Mountain 2007

stgil888

Monkey
Jun 16, 2004
Malibu, CA
Rocky mountain keeps putting out the same bikes with new paint jobs and materials. They may be great designs, but that just doesn't seem to be how the industry works. Are they totally out of the DH game now?

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
stgil888 said:
Rocky mountain keeps putting out the same bikes with new paint jobs and materials. They may be great designs, but that just doesn't seem to be how the industry works. Are they totally out of the DH game now?
I believe they were bought by the people who bought Balfa?

In any case, it looks like their owners are just letting the brand sit dead in the water, ala Mountain Cycle.

TheInedibleHulk

Turbo Monkey
May 26, 2004
Colorado
stgil888 said:
If by "great designs" you mean to say "terrible designs", then this statement is correct.

Downhiller

Turbo Monkey
Sep 20, 2004
CROATIA....europe....CROATIA
update:

info:

grind 20

grind 24

info:

vertex 10

vertex 30

vertex 50

vertex 70

vertex team

vertex ladies

blizzard

hammer

info:

etsx 10

etsx 30

etsx 50

etsx 70

etsx team

info:

slayer 30

slayer 50

slayer sxc 50

slayer sxc 70

slayer sxc 90

slayer ladies

info:

element 10

element 30

element 50

element 70

element team

element ladies

info:

flow

flow 1,0

flow 2,0

flow dj

info:

switch 1,0

switch 2,0

info:

rmx

rmx team

Woolleyfooley

Monkey
Mar 12, 2006
warwick new york
TheInedibleHulk said:
If by "great designs" you mean to say "terrible designs", then this statement is correct.
can you explain this statement? i really dont see any terrible designs when i look at rockies and ride mine. ive never heard anyone that owns a rocky mountain say they're unhappy.

TheMontashu

Pourly Tatteued Jeu
Mar 15, 2004
I'm homeless
Woolleyfooley said:
can you explain this statement? i really dont see any terrible designs when i look at rockies and ride mine. ive never heard anyone that owns a rocky mountain say they're unhappy.
they have high leverage ratios (or they used to the RM9 has something like a 2 inch stroke shock) The way the force is tranfered to the shock isnt the best, they have some gnarly brake jack, and there faraly tall.

DHS

Friendly Neighborhood Pool Boy
Apr 23, 2002
Sand, CA
TheMontashu said:
they have high leverage ratios (or they used to the RM9 has something like a 2 inch stroke shock) The way the force is tranfered to the shock isnt the best, they have some gnarly brake jack, and there faraly tall.
yup the high leverage ratio left with the RMX. that was the point. i've ridden one on a couple DH runs at diablo. not that bad, brake jack yes, but so does every other single pivot without a floater. a Giant DH is much taller then these aswell. i say they are more average. also probably the only rocky mtn i'd ever own. they're so bland

TheInedibleHulk

Turbo Monkey
May 26, 2004
Colorado
Like they said the leverage ratio is the biggest flaw. To me that alone is a deal breaker. Other than that they arent awful, the main pivot placement is pretty good. I havent messed with the newer ones much, but the older ones roached bearings really fast.

xy9ine

Turbo Monkey
Mar 22, 2004
vancouver eastside
they seem to have dealt with the past issues (of the earlier rm's) with the rmx - leverage ratio is now in the ballpark with a longer stoke shock (2.75", i believe), the linkage bearings are bomber now, and the suspension design is effective, and still relevant (rising rate dogbone configuration not unlike the dhr & commencal - no one seems to be complaining about these). i had an rm-7 a few years ago and have to admit it was a decent bike - despite those niggling suspension reliability issues which they've (finally) rectified. i suppose their biggest issue is shaking the reputation (as evidenced here) earned with the flawed earlier generations.

Spitfired

Monkey
Jun 18, 2004
Rochester, NY
sjcX3oldtown said:
whats so god about the 3D design ? its a basic 4 bar ( not FSR ) linkage - the wheel still travels in an arch
Every bike's wheel travels in an arch - yes, even FSR.

Rocky has been completely redesigning their bikes one by one for several years now. The RMX was the first big one (from the RM7/9) then the Switch got it, the ETSX was thrown in there, the slayer got it last year, and now they're improving their FS XC line up.
They had leverage issues way back in the day, but they've been working around that properly for many years now.

vitox

Turbo Monkey
Sep 23, 2001
Santiago du Chili
xy9ine said:
they seem to have dealt with the past issues (of the earlier rm's) with the rmx - leverage ratio is now in the ballpark with a longer stoke shock (2.75", i believe), the linkage bearings are bomber now, and the suspension design is effective, and still relevant (rising rate dogbone configuration not unlike the dhr & commencal - no one seems to be complaining about these). i had an rm-7 a few years ago and have to admit it was a decent bike - despite those niggling suspension reliability issues which they've (finally) rectified. i suppose their biggest issue is shaking the reputation (as evidenced here) earned with the flawed earlier generations.

i had one in my hands the other day and also bounced a bit on one that was built up, cant say i liked it at all, granted, a lot better than the rm9 but still lots of room to improve.
for starters, the weight, its a boat anchor, 6 kilos is not necessary, you can make a frame with that shock and overall specs with 1 kilo less material.
then, i noticed the rear end is now 150mm wide, BUT THE DROPOUTS ARE QR!!!! WTF! i know, i know, youre supposed to use a thru axle hub with a thru bolt, but cmon, if you already are having the user buy an expensive and noncompatible rear hub, why not take the time to design some proper dropouts, esp. if the frame by design, really could use a stiff back end since its not triangulated.
and then, the BB height and HA, cmon, its about 400mm.....
the execution however looks top notch, i actually like the paint, the CNC is purdy, but that geometry is either very wrong or plain not for dh.

vitox

Turbo Monkey
Sep 23, 2001
Santiago du Chili
Woolleyfooley said:
maybe thats why its a freeride bike? oh and im pretty sure the bb height isnt 400mm.. i think its about 14.5 inches but correct me if im wrong..

RM site says BB drop of 37mm

add an axle height of average 360 to 365mm on a dh bike with 2,5 rubber, and you get about 400mm, which is very in line with what you can see just by eyeballing it.

TheMontashu

Pourly Tatteued Jeu
Mar 15, 2004
I'm homeless
the V10 is like 14 3/4 BB plust 4 inches of sag so your down to like 10 3/4, the rockey mountian is 16 and probably like 2-3 inches of sag that is a pretty big diference

black noise

Turbo Monkey
Dec 31, 2004
Santa Cruz
TheMontashu said:
the V10 is like 14 3/4 BB plust 4 inches of sag so your down to like 10 3/4, the rockey mountian is 16 and probably like 2-3 inches of sag that is a pretty big diference
Exactly my point. Now try to ride the V10 on any north shore-inspired trail. Different bikes for different riding styles.

bballe336

Turbo Monkey
Mar 3, 2005
MA
TheMontashu said:
How many times do things need to be repeated before you understand them? IT IS NOT A RACE BIKE. It's not meant to have a low BB and be ridden on WC race courses. It's meant to be jumped and hucked and the like.

croute

Chimp
Jul 7, 2006
the new slayer shown is not the final version
the swing arm has change now the chain stay are symetric