Quantcast

Roco RC World cup still a viable option?

descente

Monkey
Jul 30, 2010
Sandy Eggo
The vivid air isn't quite doing it for me, and i shudder to think of what is entailed in rebuilding it (i enjoy being able to service EVERYTHING on my bikes). i've already had one crap out and purchased a spare shock (revox isx) to try out, but i'm thinking i will like the way the coil shock rides better as they just seem to be so much more buttery...
are the Roco coil shocks still completely user serviceable?
are they any good in terms of plushness (obviously depends on the frame too)?
are they reliable?

gemini2k

Turbo Monkey
Jul 31, 2005
San Francisco
Reliable yes. Compression stroke is alright. Rebound is a little whack though. They are an old shock badly in need of an update (which is coming soon). I keep my roco as a backup and run my revox. Plus those revox's can be had for DIRT cheap online. For some reason people don't like them. I really like it though. Reliable, feels a lot better than the roco. I originally got the revox as a backup, but ended up liking it a lot more.

descente

Monkey
Jul 30, 2010
Sandy Eggo
interesting, i got the revox for $100 at the intense sale, never even had eyelet bushing put in. i'll have to try it out. is the revox easy enough to take apart in a garage?

Udi

RM Chief Ornithologist
Mar 14, 2005
Two of my friends had/have these and both started leaking quite quickly from the main shaft seal. They didn't seem to compare to the forks in reliability, not sure if they were just unlucky or what.

If it helps you, a Roco is no more / less user serviceable than most other shocks - if you are into doing things yourself then most shocks aren't hugely different provided you have a way of pressurising them. Anything with a schrader valve makes life easy, and a bleed screw in the IFP helps a lot too (Roco, Fox, Vivid all have these).

Risse make a schrader adaptor for the Vivid and they sell it for $10. Obviously any shock that requires you to pierce rubber to pressurise them are going to be trickier to service yourself.

demo 9

Turbo Monkey
Jan 31, 2007
north jersey
I had a roco a bit ago on my demo 9, i LOVED it, the only downside was that it seemed to lack and lsc, and i felt that it bobbed way more than the swinger or DHX i had on it, it was great in the rocks, but not as good on the jumps

descente

Monkey
Jul 30, 2010
Sandy Eggo
i rebuilt my old DHX 5.0 in my bathroom, i can handle piggyback coil shocks. guess i'll try the revox for now see how i like it, not sure why it never took off but it has a ton of adjustments and isn't even that heavy.

the roco probably bobbed more because you were comparing it to 2 shocks with pedal platforms. would be a good choice for very rocky terrain tho..

interesting point about the main shaft seals Udi, seems to be what i have heard

tacubaya

Monkey
Dec 19, 2009
Mexico City
Rocos, okay..

Advantages:
They feel pretty plush.
Very reliable.
They use heavy duty shaft seals and black ano shaft.
Bleed port in the bridge and bleed screw in IFP. Super easy to service.

Disadvantages:
Rebound adjustment is crappy.
No LSC adjustment.
HSC works meeeh.

al-irl

Turbo Monkey
Dec 9, 2004
A, A
had a rocco, wasnt mad on it. Got the Push tuning treatment, it was great after that. Still very serviceable and way better performance. Im guessing that will solve all your problems

Not sure if Push are still doing the Rocco upgrade though

descente

Monkey
Jul 30, 2010
Sandy Eggo
just felt like updating, i've got a couple rides on the revox now. i like it a lot and think i will be keeping it for a while! crazy plush and very tunable