Quantcast

Roco TST vs WC for Freeride

DirtyMartini

Chimp
Nov 23, 2010
San Diego
I know this is a topic that's come up before, but I haven't found any answers that sound convincing.

These are basically the same shock with different piggy back internals. The WC HSC is adjustable and the TST has...well TST. I THINK the tst is just a low speed compression adjustment, but i'm not 100% sure.

My question is which is better for an All Mountain & Freeride bike? Being able to adjust HSC (ie WC) to control landings, or adjustable LSC (ie TST) in order to be able to turn up the LSC when you need "pop" off a dirty jump, and then turn the LSC down for fast bumpy DH?

I currently have a world cup that is tuned for my dw-link bike (very low LSC), and it's great through gnar but this low LSC seems to eat up a good amount of the "pop" going off dirt jump and I can't adjust it. Maybe I just need to learn to pre-load into the jump better?

The DW-Link takes care of the pedaling efficiency issues, so I don't need extra LSC for pedaling (which the TST is advertised for). But I use this bike for both All Mountain (climbing, rock gardens, technical steeps, drops, smaller jumps) and for groomed trails with bigger jumps and doubles at a Freeride area.

I'm thinking of converting my WC to TST in order to have adjustable LSC instead of adjustable HSC. Or is the WC the way to go?

What's your opinion?

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
The WC is a waaay better shock. And yes, I've owned both on the same bike. Though it doesn't have a LSC knob on it, they're super tunable via reshimming if you're comfortable doing that.

DirtyMartini

Chimp
Nov 23, 2010
San Diego
That's what I keeping hearing, that the TST is a good shock, but the WC is a great shock.

I have a WC right now. I tried shim tuning it myself, even talked to Marz techs to figure out the shim stack that would be good for me. I couldn't get the shock to feel any different after 3 different shim stacks. Then I sent it out to professional shock shop to tune, they really lowered the LSC, but landings are still very harsh and even on the fastest rebound setting, the shock still has too much rebound damping. I'm going to send it be to the pros because it's under warranty they'll reshim it for me. I'm starting think the shock is cursed or something.

I really don't like the harsh landings. I"m not sure if I'm blowing through the travel and bottoming out or if the shock just has too much HSC. I've tried every extreme combination and everything in between in terms of the HSC setting on the piggy back pressure, but nothing helps. My off the shelf DHX Air absorbed landings better than this tuned Roco WC.

The WC is a waaay better shock. And yes, I've owned both on the same bike. Though it doesn't have a LSC knob on it, they're super tunable via reshimming if you're comfortable doing that.