Quantcast

rode 2x9 for the first time !

rockracing

Monkey
Jul 22, 2002
Cape Town, South Africa
wow, borrowed a pair of middleburns and an action tec Ti BB from a mate with 29/42 rings, had such a great ride now, always felt in the right gear and really felt so fast, even considering going for a 2x9 ste up, I've got a 11-34t sram cassette, maybe on some really long climbs, the 29x34 might start to get a little tough and you don'y want to always be in such an extreme ratio.

just nice to try something different and enjoy it

anyone know of anyone else who makes a 2 ring crank ? Middleburn is Pricey !

indieboy

Want fries with that?
Jan 4, 2002
atlanta
Originally posted by rockracing
wow, borrowed a pair of middleburns and an action tec Ti BB from a mate with 29/42 rings, had such a great ride now, always felt in the right gear and really felt so fast, even considering going for a 2x9 ste up, I've got a 11-34t sram cassette, maybe on some really long climbs, the 29x34 might start to get a little tough and you don'y want to always be in such an extreme ratio.

just nice to try something different and enjoy it

just drop the little ring on any crank and adjust your front mech....

Mike B.

Turbo Monkey
Oct 5, 2001
State College, PA

FRM makes a crank with just a 2 ring spider but indieboy is right. FRM isn't cheap either by the way but very light.

SuspectDevice

Turbo Monkey
Aug 23, 2002
Roanoke, VA
2 ring notes:
1. differences more than 10 teeth are unliked by shimano mtb deraileurs.

2. place a 2 mm spacer between the middle ring and the crankarm for less chain drop.

rockracing

Monkey
Jul 22, 2002
Cape Town, South Africa
Originally posted by SuspectDevice
2 ring notes:
1. differences more than 10 teeth are unliked by shimano mtb deraileurs.
funny that, when shimano cranks have a 12 tooth diff between the 44 and 32 blades ???

dropping the granny is fine but its the ring combo of 29 and 42 thats a bugger to find.

punkassean

Turbo Monkey
Feb 3, 2002
SC, CA
funny that, when shimano cranks have a 12 tooth diff between the 44 and 32 blades ???

dropping the granny is fine but its the ring combo of 29 and 42 thats a bugger to find.
you're right, it is supposed to be 12t but I have seen more run without problems. I run a 24-36 2x9 and it works great, but not for XC racing. What bolt circle are the middleburns? can't you use their rings on any cranks?

rockracing

Monkey
Jul 22, 2002
Cape Town, South Africa
Originally posted by punkassean
you're right, it is supposed to be 12t but I have seen more run without problems. I run a 24-36 2x9 and it works great, but not for XC racing. What bolt circle are the middleburns? can't you use their rings on any cranks?
middleburn's "duo" crankset rings are 3 fricken bolt design, works with nothing ! (except M-burn)

oldfart

Turbo Monkey
Jul 5, 2001
North Van
All you need is a compact 5 bolt set up. I don't believe anyone makes a mid ring smaller than a 32 for the 4 bolt set ups, and 5 bolt standard drive will not take anything lower than a 32. I think you would also want a shorter bb and a road derailleur. Road cranks are typically 39 and 53 that's 14 tooth diff. And last year Tyler Hamilton rode a compact road set up for the alpine stages of the tour due to his broken collarbone. The standard 39 was not low enough. I think he used a FSA carbon crank with a 52 X 36 or maybe even a 34. Not sure but it has started a lot of riders trying this compact road thing and I don't think people are having too much shifting problems.