Quantcast

Roll Call for Leavenworth Bike and Brew Race

Borregokid

Monkey
Aug 12, 2004
Cle Elum
Ok a little early for the roll call, the race is coming up on June 4th-Saturday so you got nine days to get in shape. Heres the scoop in case you didnt know this is the fourth race of the Indie Series and it looks like it will be the biggest hill climb-MTB race in the state unless the guys in Olympia put on a race. Even if your not into XC this one might be worth checking out. The race itself will have 1600, 3200 or 4800 feet of climbing plus enough water bars to break 10 collarbones. For some reason lightly attended the past couple of years, this year looks big. Perfect race to get down and dirty and swap stories in the garden. :D

After the race its the beer garden with an assortment of micro-brews, plus a band. This year Kona Demo will be there with an assortment of bikes. There is a serious jump near the beer garden, plus you can alway run the course so its not a bad time to really check a bike out. :D

Heres your link:http://www.dasradhaus.com/events.html

MUTOLI

Air Monkey
Mar 14, 2004
PNW
The Speedy Beavers are going....well, all but one. I'm racing at Hemlock! Too bad it falls on the same weekend!! :mumble:

Borregokid

Monkey
Aug 12, 2004
Cle Elum
MUTOLI said:
The Speedy Beavers are going....well, all but one. I'm racing at Hemlock! Too bad it falls on the same weekend!! :mumble:

They better break out their "secret weapon" because they will need it on this course. There are maybe 6-8 women who have been riding the Indie Series who will be looking forward to some competition or fresh road kill. :D

MUTOLI

Air Monkey
Mar 14, 2004
PNW
Borregokid said:
They better break out their "secret weapon" because they will need it on this course. There are maybe 6-8 women who have been riding the Indie Series who will be looking forward to some competition or fresh road kill. :D
Oh, don't worry...we have Dawn. She has won every xc race she has ever done :eviltongu !!! Oh, she races Sport (s/b expert) in case you wanted to know! :thumb:

*fyi-they are doing it more for the drinking!!! ;)

Borneo

Turbo Monkey
Mar 22, 2004
Duvall
I remember Dawn from the Spokane 24 race they won with 3 people (Beth and Lisa too?). If she's the same gal, she definately should not still be Sport. ;)
Did she also used to be sponsored by Sims snowboards back in the day?

If she drinks beer like she rides.......

I'll be over here at the MS Ride.(Roll call for that?) Stinks that they are both on the same day. Will be in the future too.

MUTOLI

Air Monkey
Mar 14, 2004
PNW
Borneo said:
I remember Dawn from the Spokane 24 race they won with 3 people (Beth and Lisa too?). If she's the same gal, she definately should not still be Sport. ;)
Did she also used to be sponsored by Sims snowboards back in the day?

If she drinks beer like she rides.......

I'll be over here at the MS Ride.(Roll call for that?) Stinks that they are both on the same day. Will be in the future too.
Dawn didn't do the 24 race, but she did work for Sims in Canyon Park. I'm sure you have seen her though at some of the xc races...Yes, she is a sandbagger!!! :D She says she doesn't want to do the extra 10 miles + they add when you race expert!!! I can't blame her. She is a super skilled rider. Now she has a big bike too so she is killing it as an expert dh racer too! She is keeping us women in check!

MS ride??

Borneo

Turbo Monkey
Mar 22, 2004
Duvall
Mutoli this is the link to the MS Ride

http://www.nationalmssociety.org/was/event/event_detail.asp?e=8222

It's the only MTB event of it's kind in the country and we're hoping to get 500 riders out there this year. (330 last year and 280 signed up so far this year.)

Trying to make the Epic loop more "Epic" with more singletrack, etc this time around. (Less road and more trail so folks like you won't think Tokul sucks... :) )Just kinda bites that so much is always going on every weekend.

Dawn: Yeah, first met her at Sims in Canyon Park in about '96. She raced that 24 hour with friends of mine. They kicked butt! Too bad Backcountry Outfitters looks like it went out of business.

MUTOLI

Air Monkey
Mar 14, 2004
PNW
Borneo said:
(Less road and more trail so folks like you won't think Tokul sucks... :) )Just kinda bites that so much is always going on every weekend.

Dawn: Yeah, first met her at Sims in Canyon Park in about '96. She raced that 24 hour with friends of mine. They kicked butt! Too bad Backcountry Outfitters looks like it went out of business.
I know...I really didn't care for that ride. Way to much road. I hope there is a good turn out though!

MUTOLI

Air Monkey
Mar 14, 2004
PNW
Borneo said:
I think Skooks took you on a bad route :) I think it's way better than Tiger.
If you think it's better the Tiger...he really must have taken me on a bad route!!! :D

Borregokid

Monkey
Aug 12, 2004
Cle Elum
freeridekid said:
i won this race when i was like 12 or something--it was brutal! i would only do it if they had a shuttle to the top :thumb:
The "brutal" part is what a lot of the hill climbers love. Usually about 2/3 of the way up you can count on seeing someone standing along the side of the trail losing their breakfast. :) Going down hill the water bars have a way of "launching" a lot of racers. Most of the trail is pretty smooth, depending on how strong you are its 30-45 minutes of either pleasure or agony. :)

MUTOLI

Air Monkey
Mar 14, 2004
PNW
Borregokid said:
Usually about 2/3 of the way up you can count on seeing someone standing along the side of the trail losing their breakfast. :)
Oh, I hate that feeling when you are riding!!! I've had it a few times when trying to keep up with my husband on a ride! Never actually puked though!!! :thumb:

Borregokid

Monkey
Aug 12, 2004
Cle Elum
I went over to Freund Canyon for a pre-ride today. I also checked the elevation gain out-it is an easy 1600 feet over 4.6 miles. This has got to be one of the best race courses in the state. Its mostly single track and very smooth.
I looped it one time and was just getting ready for my second loop around when the guy who put the hurt on me beating me by 8 minutes a couple of years ago came along. We rode up the hill together. On the way up I saw a rather large rattlesnake laying across the trail eating a squirrel. He moved over to the side, but I thought a rattler at 2500 feet or so in Leavenworth was worth noting.
After getting to the top I figured my competition might beat me but it wont be by eight minutes. I will also bring out the "secret weapon" for the race. :sneaky: :thumb:

mattv2099

Monkey
Aug 16, 2004
Bellingham, WA
I love climbing!

How necessary is it to preride the course? I'm considering driving over the morning of the race. Leave B'ham at 5:00 AM or so. Will I be totally screwed if I don't preride?

did I mention that I love climbing?

Wanna come to Bellingham and ride to the mt baker ski area? Now that's a fun climb.

Borregokid

Monkey
Aug 12, 2004
Cle Elum
Not neccessary to pre-ride the course. I live close enough and Its pretty much my favorite loop ride. The only thing you need to watch out for are the water bars coming down. They can be taller than they look once you hit them. You will be coming down pretty fast so slow down a little at the water bars. On the way up there is about a mile where it will be difficult to pass-the first miles of single track. The rest of the course is wide single track or the logging road. Anyway this will be the easiest single track climb you will do that covers 1600 feet because the trail is so smooth and the grade stays right around 6-7 degrees.
I did the Mount Baker Hill Climb last year. Kind of crazy in the rain and in the fog. I was third in my age division. I am going to have to get up there to pre ride the Padden Pedal course.

mattv2099

Monkey
Aug 16, 2004
Bellingham, WA
Borregokid said:
. I am going to have to get up there to pre ride the Padden Pedal course.
It's definately an advantage to know the pedal course. There's about 650' of climbing per lap and each lap is about 3.75 miles long. Sports will do at least 4 laps... It's a pretty damn technical course.

Borregokid

Monkey
Aug 12, 2004
Cle Elum
I am definitely going up there to pre ride Padden the week before the race. I have heard that the locals have a big advantage knowing the course.

I just checked the Indieseries results and I see they have posted the revised results which moves me up . This race will be kind of pivotal. I was experimenting with a 1.75 tire yesterday and pinch flatted so I am not sure if it will be part of the secret weapon arsenal for Leavenworth. My chain broke and I flatted at the Wednsday Race so I am hoping I have some miles without a breakdown. Anyway I cant afford to pinch flat coming down, anyone race with the skinny tires? Maybe I need to inflate to 60lbs or so.

Borregokid

Monkey
Aug 12, 2004
Cle Elum
A couple of years ago it rained before the race and I remember the road going up was kind of muddy but the rest of the course was ok. It could be kind of slippery I would think coming down if it rains during the race. I dont think its going to rain.

Borregokid

Monkey
Aug 12, 2004
Cle Elum
I went out riding today and even though it rained a little yesterday the road/trails were completely dry. I think if we get a little more rain it will just make the trail better, I think it will be fast going up and it should keep it packed down on the downhill side. I am probably going to preride it Friday. i will post the conditions, but I think the trail will be in excellent shape.

mattv2099

Monkey
Aug 16, 2004
Bellingham, WA
Borregokid said:
I went out riding today and even though it rained a little yesterday the road/trails were completely dry. I think if we get a little more rain it will just make the trail better, I think it will be fast going up and it should keep it packed down on the downhill side. I am probably going to preride it Friday. i will post the conditions, but I think the trail will be in excellent shape.
That sounds great. We've just had early morning showers over here...
I was just afraid of another Mudder.... I just cleaned my bike and I don't want to do it again for a while!

Borregokid

Monkey
Aug 12, 2004
Cle Elum
I pre rode the course today-again. Its in great shape. They mowed the field down at the base and had the sanikans set up. Looks like James and the guys from Das Radhaus are putting on a first class operation again. If anyone still thinking about it its not to late, you can sign up tomorrow morning. The races start at 9:30, 10:30 and 1200.