Quantcast

Roll Call For Whidbey Island Mudder

Borregokid

Monkey
Aug 12, 2004
Cle Elum
Ok who's up for the Mudder? The racing is Sunday May 15. The course is described as a "technical short course". The race has a different format in that everyone races approximately the same amount of time. Beginners race for 60 minutes plus one lap, sport 90 minute plus a lap and expert 120 plus a lap. I am guessing number placement will be important so someone can count the laps, there should be a few of us getting lapped :(

Hey isnt "technical short course" close to f 4x or downhill? Anyone going to cross over and join the spandex crowd and start digging in their garage for the old hardtail "stumpy? :)

Heres the link: http://onespeed.tripod.com/races/mudder05.html

Borregokid

Monkey
Aug 12, 2004
Cle Elum
I see that the Olympic Meltdown DH is scheduled for Sunday also, plus on Saturday they are running XC over in Port Angeles. The Indie Series has done pretty well in their first two races with about 300 riders in each race. Not sure how many XC riders will venture over to PA. Too bad race promoters scheduled two xc races same weekend. Heres a link to the Meltdown. Great race for westside DHers.

http://www.soundbikeskayaks.com/tours.html

mattv2099

Monkey
Aug 16, 2004
Bellingham, WA
I will be doing the Whidbey Mudder.

I'm not too excited about the 'new format.' I loved the old course.

However, I plan on starting extremely fast and hope to start lapping folks rather quickly. I'm racing sport still..

If I go to the levenworth race I'll race expert there...........

Borregokid

Monkey
Aug 12, 2004
Cle Elum
mattv2099 said:
I will be doing the Whidbey Mudder.

I'm not too excited about the 'new format.' I loved the old course.

However, I plan on starting extremely fast and hope to start lapping folks rather quickly. I'm racing sport still..

I will try to stay out of your way-seriously. I dont think I will be the first guy lapped but I will be in there somewhere. ;) My guess is the course might be a couple of miles, so about your fourth lap you should be lapping the slower riders. If you race Expert at Leavenworth you will have your work cut out, thats three laps and maybe 4800 feet of climbing, although it will seem like less because its smooth and the climb is pretty much the same grade of 7 percent.

mattv2099

Monkey
Aug 16, 2004
Bellingham, WA
Borregokid said:
I will try to stay out of your way-seriously. I dont think I will be the first guy lapped but I will be in there somewhere. ;) My guess is the course might be a couple of miles, so about your fourth lap you should be lapping the slower riders. If you race Expert at Leavenworth you will have your work cut out, thats three laps and maybe 4800 feet of climbing, although it will seem like less because its smooth and the climb is pretty much the same grade of 7 percent.

I'm extremely curious about the Mudder. Will it be a huge mass start event or will they send different categories off at different times??? I'm just worried about flying through the start/finish and them still sending riders off. And how the hell are they going to keep track of what lap everyone is on??? If the course is short enough, the top dudes will lap the slow guys multiple times. Well, I hope it all works out and is a fun race!

Only reason I'd race expert in Leavenworth is because I would carpool with a couple expert riders probably... The expert race is later in the morning and I have no desire to come over the day before and pay for hotel or camp.

RhinofromWA

Brevity R Us
Aug 16, 2001
Lynnwood, WA
Time plus one lap is similiar to how Harescrambles (motorcycle) races are run. Actually it is just the std time limit and then the course is shut down. Often the leaders have just started their last lap before the course closed so they have to battle it out one more loop.

Dirt bikes often use tags that hang off their handlebar and get punched each lap at a check point....sometimes multiple checkpoint on a lap to assist in catching course cutters. The one that comes in first with the most laps wins and it goes basckwards from there. My club handles hundreds of riders with no problem at our events.

To me all teh lap traffic and passing sounds more exciting than hearing yourself breath for a couple hours. :D I hope they enjoy the format and the scoring goes off with little trouble. The short course is better for spectating anyways. :)

Have fun

Borregokid

Monkey
Aug 12, 2004
Cle Elum
Only a guess but I am thinking one person will call out the numbers and another person checks off the numbers and laps. If the course is really short there will be a lot of traffic and a lot of passing. Probably a little like the Wednsday Night Races at SST.