N8 v2.0

Not the sharpest tool in the shed
Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
:confused:

Pop of the heap
Mag all-time hit list has '60s-'70s groove
NYDailynews.com | 17 Nov | JONATHAN LEMIRE

Bob Dylan, whose 'Like a Rolling Stone' nabbed the No. 1 slot, also placed 11 other songs on Rolling Stone's list.

Aretha Franklin got plenty of 'Respect,' too, charting at No. 5.

Bob Dylan over John Lennon? The Stones over the Beatles? And Abba over, well, anybody?

Sure to spark heated debates around the jukebox - or maybe the iPod - Rolling Stone magazine has just published a collection of what its panel of experts deem the 500 Greatest Songs of All Time.

But younger folks may be left wondering whether these critics turned off their radios for good when disco hit. And older folks might wonder why there's very little before Elvis started wiggling his hips.

Dylan's "Like a Rolling Stone" sits atop the chart - (hmm, why do they like that one so much?) - followed by the Rolling Stones' "(I Can't Get No) Satisfaction" and Lennon's "Imagine."

Lennon's old band - what was their name again? - notched its first song, "Hey Jude," at No. 8, two ahead of Ray Charles' "What'd I Say," which rounded out a top 10 that has just one song, Nirvana's "Smells Like Teen Spirit" (No. 9), that was written after 1971.

Indeed, of the 500 songs, a staggering 202 were written in the 1960s, and another 144 were penned a decade later. Meanwhile, only 55 songs from the 1980s were selected. Okay, maybe they got that right.

But just three songs from the current decade were chosen: Eminem's "Lose Yourself" (No. 166) and "Stan" (No. 290), and last year's ubiquitous hit, OutKast's "Hey Ya" (No. 180).

Not surprisingly, the Beatles placed the most songs on the list with an astounding 23. Their ancient rivals, the Stones, took second with 14, two ahead of Dylan and three in front of Elvis.

These totals, once again, show the list's generational bias: Of the acts that place at least seven songs on the countdown, only one - U2, with a new album out next week - can still be seen as being at the top of its game.

Ultimately, however, the list acts as the ultimate conversation starter for anybody who has plugged in an electric guitar - or, for that matter, a turntable - and dreamed of cutting the perfect album, or for someone who simply gets a thrill out of opening a new CD.

The potential for argument is endless: is Roy Orbison's "Crying," (No. 69) really 100 songs better than R.E.M.'s "Losing My Religion" (No. 169)?

In a battle of guitar heroes, shouldn't Bruce Springsteen, whose top song, "Born to Run," clocks in at No. 21, be ahead of Jimi Hendrix's "Purple Haze," which slides in at #17?

And how did the celebrity panel - which included Joni Mitchell, "David Letterman" bandleader Paul Shaffer and Daily News critic-at-large David Hinckley - decide a Sonny and Cher song, "I Got You Babe" (No. 444), was worthy of the list?

So, let the debates begin. But go easy on the air guitar.

The top 20 songs from Rolling Stone Magazine's "500 Greatest Songs of All Time":

"Like a Rolling Stone" Bob Dylan
"(I Can't Get No) Satisfaction" The Rolling Stones
"Imagine" John Lennon
"What's Going On" Marvin Gaye
"Respect" Aretha Franklin
"Good Vibrations" The Beach Boys
"Johnny B. Goode" Chuck Berry
"Hey Jude" The Beatles
"Smells Like Teen Spirit" Nirvana
"What'd I Say" Ray Charles
"My Generation" The Who
"A Change is Gonna Come" Sam Cooke
"Yesterday" The Beatles
"Blowin' in the Wind" Bob Dylan
"London Calling" The Clash
"I Want to Hold Your Hand" The Beatles
"Purple Haze" The Jimi Hendrix Experience
"Maybellene" Chuck Berry
"Hound Dog" Elvis Presley
"Let It Be" The Beatles

Trond

Monkey
Oct 22, 2002
Oslo, Norway
The only song that made it into the top20 from the last 20 years is Nirvana's?? Why isn't contemporary music appreciated? it's almost like art.

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
face it, old farts are on the panel. they go w/ what they know.

dylan's got FAR better songs than those two in the top 20. "visions of johanna", anyone?

and "imagine" is such a stillborn turd of a song it's laughable.

if _dr octagonecologyst_ ain't in the top 100, you know it's a worthless list.

these lists are only made to drum up controversy and sell mags. and it always works.

at least they didn't put any billy jowel (typo on purpose) on the list.

bigginsis

Monkey
Jun 20, 2004
standing at the edge of reason
i am so tired of hearing about how great the beatles are. now before you start going off on me, i do think the beatles pushed the envelope and that they changed music and were influental and i totally respect that.
but with the slew of "top whatever songs" on TV now, you can almost always bet on the beatles being all over the list. that's my rant for now. i'm in shock the beatles weren't number one but i'm glad it was dylan.

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
and "hey jude" is the best the beatles came up with? please.

all these beat the stuffing out of it without breaking a sweat, and this is just the beginning.

- happiness is a warm gun
- run for your life
- strawberry fields forever
- eleanor rigby
- tomorrow never knows

Broken_Spoke

Mr. Big Hot Pastrami
Feb 26, 2003
Bozeman, MT
I stoped paying attention to Rolling Stone after the first issue I read when I was 15. It was crap, still is crap, and always will be crap. Kinda like MBA we only buy it for the pictures.

BurlyShirley

Rex Grossman Will Rise Again
Jul 4, 2002
TN
How stupid.
Is London Calling a better song that "Time" by Pink Floyd?

Is Good Vibrations better than "Iron Man" by Black Sabbath?

What? No zeppelin? No floyd?

Those idiots at rolling stone should be killed in front of their children.

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
actually, it's been scientifically proven that "london calling" is, in fact, a better song than "time". check vol LIX, issue 9 of Scientific American, where the Radio Saturation vs Waters factor and the Alan Parsons corrolary was discussed and analyzed in detail.

but i agree that RS is a load of old wankage.

and no dire straits? the horror.

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
narlus said:
and "imagine" is such a stillborn turd of a song it's laughable.
A still born turd?? I can't imagine anyone feeling that way about that song. IMO your out in left field on that one. I am very surprised to hear you say that. Your tastes in music are usually spot on with mine. What is it about that song? ......jdcamb

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
jdcamb said:
A still born turd?? I can't imagine anyone feeling that way about that song. IMO your out in left field on that one. I am very surprised to hear you say that. Your tastes in music are usually spot on with mine. What is it about that song? ......jdcamb
ok, maybe stillborn turd was a bit harsh, but it just seems really sappy to me. the sentiment is fine, but once again it's been dulled by endless flogging on the radio.

maybe they should have chosen "mother" or "working class hero" instead. :sneaky:

BurlyShirley

Jul 4, 2002
TN
Echo said:
It's probably a good think they didn't put Zeppelin on there, those asshats would have just picked Stairway anyways.
yeah, that song actually annoys the hell out of me. But the immigrant song makes me want to pillage and plunder.

Ciaran

Fear my banana
Apr 5, 2004
So Cal
Broken_Spoke said:
I stoped paying attention to Rolling Stone after the first issue I read when I was 15. It was crap, still is crap, and always will be crap. Kinda like MBA we only buy it for the pictures.
:stupid: Pretty much sums it up. I think that much like the "Kiddie punk sucks" thread, it's too difficult to classify music into the Greatest Of All Time, and probably silly to try.

I'd like to see y'alls top 10 list's though...

BurlyShirley

Jul 4, 2002
TN
narlus said:
it is annoying that whatever "signature" song a band might have, it's automatically thought of as the best thing they've ever done.
yeah, just like floyd with that "another brick in the wall" crap. WTF? Not even close.

I hate that. And I hate rolling stone. But i like the rolling stones. and the dire straits.

Hawkeye

Monkey
Jan 8, 2002
Naperville, IL
narlus said:
i hate the beach boys generally, but "good vibrations" is a pretty decent song, esp the beginning w/ the theremin.

Good Vibrations and the Pet sounds album is considered one of the best ever made by many different sources. It is a real break through album for it's time.

Craw

Monkey
Mar 17, 2002
Right now..somewhere Don Johnson is reading that Rolling Stone article..and is really chapped that his song "Heartbeat" didn't make the cut.

He will get his revenge....

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
Ciaran said:
I'd like to see y'alls top 10 list's though...
i'd have a hard time figuring out a top 10 for just one band (say guided by voices, or sonic youth, or neil young), so forget about "of all time".

i'll list the 10 best songs i've heard while driving back and forth from work this week:

"through the mouth" - 11th dreamday
"string bean jean" - belle and sebastian
"california stars" - wilco and billy bragg
"sprirts abandoned" - six organs of admittance
"coming down" - arab strap
"ME262" - blue oyster cult
"ratts of the capital" - mogwai
"postcard" - uncle tupelo
"roots" - devendra banhart
"if you see her say hello" - bob dylan

one last pet peeve of the RS-type lists, be it songs or lps, is that it tries to be all-inclusive. what's the point of listing an lp by coltrane or miles davis in a list of 500 records? does that mean that all other jazz isn't any good? same thing w/ folk or R&B and soul (although R&B and soul do tend to yield more pop hits, so their range is a bit broader)...don't try to pander. just stick to rock and pop; you can't even get that right.

profro

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2002
Walden Ridge
I am the biggest PF fan, but name one song that stands alone as one song. PF's stuff is so complete album orientated that by its self they aren't that big of hits. But as complete works, PF albums are so deep and the best in my opinion.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
profro said:
I am the biggest PF fan, but name one song that stands alone as one song. PF's stuff is so complete album orientated that by its self they aren't that big of hits. But as complete works, PF albums are so deep and the best in my opinion.
I can name a dozen songs off the top of my head that I enjoy stand-alone by Pink Floyd.

Yes, their albums are written in such a way that listening to the whole album gives you the Pink Floyd "experience" so to speak, but I still like their songs by themselves.

Way too much good Pink Floyd to list and I like most of it on its own.

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
narlus said:
I'll list the 10 best songs i've heard while driving back and forth from work this week:

"through the mouth" - 11th dreamday
"string bean jean" - belle and sebastian
"california stars" - wilco and billy bragg
"sprirts abandoned" - six organs of admittance
"coming down" - arab strap
"ME262" - blue oyster cult
"ratts of the capital" - mogwai
"postcard" - uncle tupelo
"roots" - devendra banhart
"if you see her say hello" - bob dylan
Werd on the BOC.....

My list for this week.....

Dalai Lama - Alex Chilton
Galaxy 500 - Rev. Horton Heat
100th Meridian - Tragically Hip
Honey White - Morphine
UMass - Pixies
White light/White heat - Velvet Underground
La Villa Strangiato - Rush
One Step Beyond - Madness
Rudie Can't Fail - The Clash
The Isrealites - Desmond Decker

Top 10 of all times lists are as boring as RS......jdcamb

Hawkeye

Monkey
Jan 8, 2002
Naperville, IL
Top 10 songs heard on my launch cast station today:

1) "No more California songs" Local H
2) "Over night sensation" Firehouse
3) "Mr. Roboto" Styx
4) "Anarchy in the UK" Sex Pistols
5) "Be a Man" Randy Macho Man Savage
6) "Fire Woman" The Cult
7) "Don't Close your eyes" Kix
8) "Big guns" Skid Row
9) "Bamboleo" Gipsy Kings
10) "Union of the Snake" Duran Duran

profro

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2002
Walden Ridge
binary visions said:
I can name a dozen songs off the top of my head that I enjoy stand-alone by Pink Floyd.

Yes, their albums are written in such a way that listening to the whole album gives you the Pink Floyd "experience" so to speak, but I still like their songs by themselves.

"Us and Them"
"Dogs of War"
"Learning to Fly"

I'm not even going to continue with that list - way too much good Pink Floyd to list and I like most of it on its own.
Dogs of War? Gimmie a break. I know everyone is entilted to their own opinion, but Dog's of War?

See to me, Us and Them is a crucial song in the Dark Side collection. I can't think of hearing it without Any Colour You Like following it up. To me that whole album is one song.

But if I HAD to choose a favorite stand along song, it would have to Careful with that Axe.

I Are Baboon

Vagina man
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
Hawkeye said:
Top 10 songs heard on my launch cast station today:

1) "No more California songs" Local H
2) "Over night sensation" Firehouse
3) "Mr. Roboto" Styx
4) "Anarchy in the UK" Sex Pistols
5) "Be a Man" Randy Macho Man Savage
6) "Fire Woman" The Cult
7) "Don't Close your eyes" Kix
8) "Big guns" Skid Row
9) "Bamboleo" Gipsy Kings
10) "Union of the Snake" Duran Duran
Interesting mix.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
profro said:
Dogs of War? Gimmie a break. I know everyone is entilted to their own opinion, but Dog's of War?
"Pink Floyd's songs are only album-oriented and can't stand on their own? Gimme a break. I know everyone is entilted [SIC] to their own opinion, but PF songs can't stand on their own?"

Just my opinion, no need to get snooty about it.