Quantcast

Rolling Stones tour manager dies

eric strt6

Resident Curmudgeon
Sep 8, 2001
directly above the center of the earth
A 110 doesn't really have that kind of punch behind it. It will shock you, it may toss you (been there done that) but you are not usually going to get fried by it (You can but its much rarer Like standing in the bathtub full of water and dropping in the blow dryer). 220 is a nasty beast. I know of firefighters killed by the 220 service drop

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
In the US 220 volts is two 110 lines 180 degrees out of phase and really doesn't have an increased danger as people typically get electrocuted by completing the circuit to ground which still only has 110v of potential. The same as a normal outlet.

4xBoy

Turbo Monkey
Jun 20, 2006
Minneapolis
I got tickled by my service into my house taking snow off the roof, lucky I had a thick leather gloves and didn't grab on.

I don't want to try it again.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
It would be wrong to ask you why
Because I know what goes inside
Is only half of what comes out
Isn't that what it's about?
It's about
To remind us we're alive
To remind us we're not blind
In that big, black hole
Comfortable
Digging the grave, I got it made
Let something in, throw something out?
You left the door open wide
I know you have a reason why
That knot is better left untied
I just went and undid mine
It takes some time
And the shadow's so big
It takes the sun out of the day
And the feeling goes away
When you close the door
Comfortable
Let something in, or throw something out?
Comfortable
Let something in, throw something out?
And it's out of this world, comfortable
Out of this world, comfortable

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Isn’t it the amps that kill you? except for low amperage at the voltage that can defibrillate?

Probably at least a combination, but I was taught that volts is pressure and amps is #of electrons. You can have real high voltage that does nothing to you.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
20 mA (0.02 A) can be fatal. I spent something over a decade as a manufacturing engineer for switching power supplies, battery backups, and power controllers. Eric's assertion that 120 VAC is not threatening is simply untrue.
Shocking information.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
20 mA (0.02 A) can be fatal. I spent something over a decade as a manufacturing engineer for switching power supplies, battery backups, and power controllers. Eric's assertion that 120 VAC is not threatening is simply untrue.

It just depends a lot on the complete situation. I think that is 20 mA across your heart. So if you short a circuit with both your hands you are going to be in a lot more danger than if you short the same circuit between two fingers. I've actually known dumbass electricians who will show off and test circuits by doing just that. In theory I can grab a 600V line with one hand and be fine if I am wearing my electrically rated Red Wing boots, I have also seem dumb ass electricians do this. I'm sure someone has unknowingly stepped on a nail and had that little trick go sideways. With a few basic precautions electrocution is rare. I am not a licensed electrician but have been trained to "diagnose" circuits up to 600V and a Short Circuit Current Rating below a certain threshold. As long as proper precautions are taken, and you don't ground yourself the major danger becomes the arc flash, basically a ball of plasma that will burn you and possibly electrocute you, either way it would be a closed casket funeral. Arc flashes can even occur on low voltage systems if they can carry high currents. We some battery systems at work that are terrifying as a dropped screwdriver shorting out a huge bank of 48V batteries can cause a significant arc flash.

Last edited:

4xBoy

Turbo Monkey
Jun 20, 2006
Minneapolis
End of the day, I am in love and scared to death of electricity.

But back to, how many more stones are going to be gone this year?

It just depends a lot on the complete situation. I think that is 20 mA across your heart. So if you short a circuit with both your hands you are going to be in a lot more danger than if you short the same circuit between two fingers. I've actually known dumbass electricians who will show off and test circuits by doing just that. In theory I can grab a 600V line with one hand and be fine if I am wearing my electrically rated Red Wing boots, I have also seem dumb ass electricians do this. I'm sure someone has unknowingly stepped on a nail and had that little trick go sideways. With a few basic precautions electrocution is rare. I am not a licensed electrician but have been trained to "diagnose" circuits up to 600V and a Short Circuit Current Rating below a certain threshold. As long as proper precautions are taken, and you don't ground yourself the major danger becomes the arc flash, basically a ball of plasma that will burn you and possibly electrocute you, either way it would be a closed casket funeral. Arc flashes can even occur on low voltage systems if they can carry high currents. We some battery systems at work that are terrifying as a dropped screwdriver shorting out a huge bank of 48V batteries can cause a significant arc flash.
Yes, it's 20 mA across the heart. There are precautions, one of which is to work one-handed. I still do home wiring work...

boostindoubles

Nacho Libre
Mar 16, 2004
Yakistan
Call before you dig. SMH

I wonder what janky wiring he ran into. Or he was swinging a pick? He was burying a pet they say. I bet his ticker was already hurting not to mention being in his 70s and having a go of it the last 50 years.

Seems like most shovels and pick handles are pretty well insulated from the swinging head. Must have been pushing in a spade with his foot when he was lit up. Yikes!

Last edited:

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Call before you dig. SMH

I wonder what janky wiring he ran into. Or he was swinging a pick? He was burying a pet they say. I bet his ticker was already hurting not to mention being in his 70s and having a go of it the last 50 years.

Seems like most shovels and pick handles are pretty well insulated from the swinging head. Must have been pushing in a spade with his foot when he was lit up. Yikes!
I got nailed by a leg of 480V in my left armpit once after a color blind electrician swapped a hot leg for ground. My heart definitely didn't work properly for a second or two but was perfectly fine in a few minutes, well other than being blinded by rage. Probably wouldn't be alive if not being poorly grounded as I was standing on carpet covered by several layers of tyvek while setting up for a trade show.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
‘Color Blind Electrician’ would be a good name for…

someone in the wrong line of work

No shit. At the end of the show I had people tearing down the booth and some of the union goons came over threatening to shut us down for doing their work. I mentioned a fictional "official complaint" over the incident if they wanted to go by the book and they just offered to help. The McCormick Place in Chicago is a hell hole of corruption.

Also a shining beacon of racism in labor.

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
No shit. At the end of the show I had people tearing down the booth and some of the union goons came over threatening to shut us down for doing their work. I mentioned a fictional "official complaint" over the incident if they wanted to go by the book and they just offered to help. The McCormick Place in Chicago is a hell hole of corruption.

Also a shining beacon of racism in labor.
Every year Reuters (Thompson) would have the Fair Convention at McCormack place. It was hell hole of corruption.

maxyedor

<b>TOOL PRO</b>
Oct 20, 2005
In the bathroom, fighting a battle
Voltage arguments aside, that’s a pretty shocking accident. Haven’t seen a shovel with a conductive handle, well, ever. You may stomp on the metal blade with your foot, but you’d likely be wearing shoes while digging, right? That should have you totally insulated no?

Was on a job site once where a guy cut through a 480v 3phase line. He was fine, the saws-all took the brunt of it and was pretty gooey afterwards. Nothing buried in a residential yard is going to be zestiest than 480v line.

Adventurous

Starshine Bro
Mar 19, 2014
Crawlorado
Yes, it's 20 mA across the heart. There are precautions, one of which is to work one-handed. I still do home wiring work...
I seem to recall from my electrical training at work that it's a 1/6 chance of being fatal if it's across the heart. That 1/6 chance corresponding to a point in the heartbeat cycle where it gets stuck and cannot self-recover.

But yes, the goal is to work in a fashion that if you were to make an oopsie, the electricity does not have a path through your core. That's when things get zesty.

eric strt6

Resident Curmudgeon
Sep 8, 2001
directly above the center of the earth
never had a problem with the union guys at McCormick Of course we always included a 6 pack of cold beer for the dock guys when delivering our booth and offering to sell them our watches (what we were selling) at wholesale made us quite popular. We would usually be able to cover our booth costs by selling them around 100 watches...which is why we always brought along an extra couple of hundred or so

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
never had a problem with the union guys at McCormick Of course we always included a 6 pack of cold beer for the dock guys when delivering our booth and offering to sell them our watches (what we were selling) at wholesale made us quite popular. We would usually be able to cover our booth costs by selling them around 100 watches...which is why we always brought along an extra couple of hundred or so

We had a 14,000 square foot booth with 11 tractor trailers of equipment that needed to be setup. We basically had to get a medium sized factory up and running in two weeks. A 6 pack wasn't going to cut it. No one was making YouTube videos when I was there but here is the 2016 version.

I bet someone tried to steal the Corvette.