Quantcast

Rolling tyres off the rim... repeatedly!

Daver

Monkey
Jun 1, 2005
Shiddeny
Guys,

I'm having this problem a lot now. Riding a lot of the techier tracks, I'm finding that I am rolling my front tyre repeatedly off my rim. I'm running 2.5 Minion Front's, with WTB wide XC tubes, on an EX5.1d rim, at 30psi. It's only happening on my front rim, and only under cornering. I'm yet to flat, but it's frustrating when I have to stop and let the air out to fit the tyre back on. I'm most worried about having it happen in a race and ruining my (already limited) chances...

I don't really want to change rims (as I'm liking the rim's, both the weight and the strength), nor the tyre. Would tubeless (Stans?) be a good alternative? My rear tyre is run at 35 psi in the dry, and depending on the tyre down to 25psi (with Swampthings) in the wet, and it's not coming off there.

Tips?

John P.

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2001
Golden, CO
I'm guessing there's either something wrong with the lip on your rim or the bead on your tire. ?? I've only seen someone do that repeatedly one other time, and when we checked the tire closely, the bead was all screwed up in one small spot. He replaced the tire, and the problem went away.

--JP

dhkid

Turbo Monkey
Mar 10, 2005
Malaysia
is it happening on the same tire? if it is just change the tire. sometime the bead streaches and it wont fit tightly over the rim anymore.

the other thing that could cause it to happen is dented rims, where the bead cant seat properly on the rim, making it easier to roll off the time. and i find that once a tire rolls of the rim, its fakked.

Feb 13, 2002
Seattle, WA
how old are the tires?

It's happened to me before, turns out the bead was just stretched out. Probably time for new tires.

Btw, I strongly recommend you hit fortheriders.com for maxxis tires in Australia. Better prices than in America (?!) and the shipping on my last batch of 8 tires was $6AUD (!!).

S.K.C.

Turbo Monkey
Feb 28, 2005
Pa. / North Jersey
Hmmm... sounds like the wire bead is stretched out, like what some of the others have alluded to.

Try putting a fresh tire (new or close to new) on the front and rememebr - the more often you change tires the more you will be stretching the bead.

top_dog

Monkey
Jan 27, 2006
Australia
Too much traction from your BOS gear is the problem...

But I'd say the bead is stretched on the tyre. I've seen a Minion with the problem before, the tyre came off the rim on the same corner every run. Until old mate came down hard because of it.