Quantcast

ROME: Anyone watching?

Greyhound

Trail Rat
Jul 8, 2002
Alamance County, NC
Thought I would see what your opinions on this one are. I watched the first two episodes this Sunday and came away quite impressed. Initially, I thought it would be pretty much all visual grandeur and no substance, but I ended up really getting into it. Julius Ceasar makes Tony Soprano look like June Cleaver.

And....apparently since we were getting Showtime free for the weekend, I also checked out their new show, "Weeds." Saw a couple of episodes and was just trippin' on the fact that there is now a show on television about a suburban WASP'y housewife dealing weed to her friends that she gets from the loveable but tough-as-nails-ummm-hmmm big momma in the hood. Stereotypes all over the place here, but kinda funny at times too. Amazing that our culture has gotten to this point.....or is it?

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
Greyhound said:
Thought I would see what your opinions on this one are. I watched the first two episodes this Sunday and came away quite impressed. Initially, I thought it would be pretty much all visual grandeur and no substance, but I ended up really getting into it. Julius Ceasar makes Tony Soprano look like June Cleaver.

And....apparently since we were getting Showtime free for the weekend, I also checked out their new show, "Weeds." Saw a couple of episodes and was just trippin' on the fact that there is now a show on television about a suburban WASP'y housewife dealing weed to her friends that she gets from the loveable but tough-as-nails-ummm-hmmm big momma in the hood. Stereotypes all over the place here, but kinda funny at times too. Amazing that our culture has gotten to this point.....or is it?
Ughhh I keep missing it. I'm going to try to watch it tonight.

Hey I was very ticked off this weekend because I was told how nice of a town your uncle works in. I was staying at a hotel and had to share a table with a nice Couple from Jacksonville NC at breakfast. They were telling me how I should move down there and how much you can get for your money...
I was cursing myself for not pursuing that job offer you found for me.

Greyhound

Trail Rat
Jul 8, 2002
Alamance County, NC
stosh said:
Ughhh I keep missing it. I'm going to try to watch it tonight.

Hey I was very ticked off this weekend because I was told how nice of a town your uncle works in. I was staying at a hotel and had to share a table with a nice Couple from Jacksonville NC at breakfast. They were telling me how I should move down there and how much you can get for your money...
I was cursing myself for not pursuing that job offer you found for me.
Meh....don't sweat it. It still may materialize. If you're really interested in the area, I can get him to keep an ear to the ground in case anything shows up. All hope isn't lost yet. I mean, hell......we got Binary Visions down here--and we know what a voice of reason he is..... :thumb:

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
Greyhound said:
Meh....don't sweat it. It still may materialize. If you're really interested in the area, I can get him to keep an ear to the ground in case anything shows up. All hope isn't lost yet. I mean, hell......we got Binary Visions down here--and we know what a voice of reason he is..... :thumb:
Yeah well Aubrey and I are again going to try and come down this spring to check out NC. We said that last year but now we've come to realise we need to get out of here. It's funny to hear people comment on our fast paced life up here.

Ciaran

Fear my banana
Apr 5, 2004
So Cal
Greyhound said:

And Julius Ceaser wasn't even one of the crazy ones. Many people nowadays only think of the "splendor of Rome"... the coliseum, the palaces, etc. They often forget that Rome was very bloody. Politically as well as in war and entertainment. INot to mention the fact that Rome was built on the backs of slaves from conquered nations. To quote a historian, "Life back then was short, brutal, and nasty".

I can't stand that show "weeds".

Greyhound

Trail Rat
Jul 8, 2002
Alamance County, NC
N8 said:
I heard it wasn't built in a day.....

Lame, predictible and the MOST obvious joke......you're N8--you can do better than that. ;)

I was cringing when the doctor did the fractured skull replacement on Titus Puollo. Totally awake and no pain meds save for the odd bucket of warm ale. When he was tapping the pins ot hold the skull plate into place, I nearly passed out just watching it.

skinny mike

Turbo Monkey
Jan 24, 2005
my dad watches it all the time and since hes old the volume is turned way up. there are some, shall we say, "interesting" sound effects in that show.

Ciaran

Fear my banana
Apr 5, 2004
So Cal
Greyhound said:
Just curious, but what about it don't you like? I can list several reasons myself, but am interested in what your thoughts are.
I don't like the premis of it.