Quantcast

romic on a bullit

awholelota

Chimp
Apr 29, 2004
sf bay
hey ya'll. i just saw an ad on ebay for a bullit with a romic shock that claims to have 8.4in of travel. since i don't have an ebay account i can't email the guy to ask him how he did this. can anyone fill me in? you think it really does have 8.4in? and if so do you think it's just a longer i2i? thanks. -mar

i owe everyone a beer.

Kornphlake

Turbo Monkey
Oct 8, 2002
Portland, OR
what color was it, scuba yellow bullits were able to get slightly more travel than say a sid blue. I'd stay away from it, if it's really getting 1.4 inches more than it was intended the bb is probablly really high or the pedals hit the ground on full compression, head angle and seat angle will be a little off, who knows if the frame or shock have been stressed by using a shock that wasn't intended for the frame.

On the other hand it may be just fine and my cycnicism is unfounded.

El Santo

Chimp
Apr 14, 2002
the 'burbs of SF
Try paging Dusty Bottoms. Long ago, he had a Bullit with a Risse shock which gave it >8" of travel. He did eventually get rid of that shock, but I forget the reasoning.

schwaaa31

Turbo Monkey
Jul 30, 2002
Clinton Massachusetts
I have a Romic on my Bullit (thats also on Ebay;) ) that gives me a little over 7". A huge difference in feel over the Fox. I like the liveliness of the Romic over the 5th as well. Just my 2 cents.

butthead

Chimp
Dec 17, 2001
Las Cruces, NM
If you use the 3" stroke shock it will give it 8" of travel. A friend of mine did this on his '00 Bullit. It did require some modification to the frame to make it fit, but he didn't have any issues once it was installed. He did have to run a 24" rear wheel to avoid buzzing the tire on the seat or seattube. This will obviously void the warranty.

Lexx D

Dirty Dozen
Mar 8, 2004
NY
I think avy used to have an 8" kit for it. I know risse will, they'll make you about whatever you want. My 01 bb7 was getting around 8.5 but i couldn't find a spring that would work properly so back to 7.6 i went. :)