Quantcast

Romic Problems

Yeti DHer

I post here but I'm still better than you
Sep 7, 2001
The Foothills
So today i was going to order my new romic for my bike. I was really excited and everything. The Guy whos ordering it for me, email's me and says

"they only have a 550 pound spring, no higher made. They claim that the added compression damping takes away the need for higher spring rates. It does while on the bike, it has more pedal efficiency and also more harshness on small ripple like terrain, but will sag more too"

So I dont know if i want to go with a 550, It seems really to light of a spring. Does any company make Aftermarket Romic sized springs??

Bulldog

Turbo Monkey
Sep 11, 2001
Wisconsin
Originally posted by Yeti DHer
So I dont know if i want to go with a 550, It seems really to light of a spring. Does any company make Aftermarket Romic sized springs??
Nope. Romics supposedly use the same size springs as Avalanche. And guess how big you can get on an Avlanche?....that's right, a 550 also. It's because the springs are so big that going any heavier will cause binding.

Those lines about being able to use a lighter spring on a higher quality shock are 1/2 BS. Sure, they will use your travel more effectively, preventing you from blowing through it. But the plain and simple fact is that you need a specific weight spring for your given weight to give you the proper sag. Lighter springs give more sag, simple as that.

I'm in the same boat you are. On my Fox I'll be running either a 600 or a 650, depending on the riding situations. I might be able to preload a 550 some to make it sag ok, but that's alot of dough to spend for something that *might* work.

Your best bet is to wait. Keep hounding both Avlanche and Romic to progress their work with Ti. Supposedly they will be able to make stiffer springs with that material. And they are supposed to be much lighter too!

Yeti DHer

Sep 7, 2001
The Foothills
Originally posted by swiss
Avalanche and Romic use the same diameter
springs. As in diameter of.. you know
what I mean.

michael
i dont know, i was going to demo a Avalache on my yeti for criag, but we came to the conclusion that it wouldnt fit. Now why will a romic fit but not a avalanche?

Abe

Chimp
Sep 10, 2001
BORED OFF MY ASS
what rate spring do you currently have??? from the pics you posted, it looked like it was too soft for you... bottoming out off of 4-5 stairs...

what you got on there now?

MichaelT

Monkey
Sep 19, 2001
home
Originally posted by Nobody
Better damping shocks typically utilize softer springs. Call Roger at Romic and ask him.

If you can't get him, try Craig at Avalanche.

Oops.

Sorry Craig.

Guess you don't want too many 'Romic' calls...

What was I thinking?

(ooop. wasn't.)

[This post will be deleted in less than 36 hours.]
Nobody!!! How are ya mang? How is retail treating you? The shop I am at is actually
doing well this month. Like 4 or so Seven's
were sold/deposits in the past week! (never
happened before)

Michael

Yeti DHer

Sep 7, 2001
The Foothills
Originally posted by Bulldog

Nope. Romics supposedly use the same size springs as Avalanche. And guess how big you can get on an Avlanche?....that's right, a 550 also. It's because the springs are so big that going any heavier will cause binding.

Those lines about being able to use a lighter spring on a higher quality shock are 1/2 BS. Sure, they will use your travel more effectively, preventing you from blowing through it. But the plain and simple fact is that you need a specific weight spring for your given weight to give you the proper sag. Lighter springs give more sag, simple as that.

I'm in the same boat you are. On my Fox I'll be running either a 600 or a 650, depending on the riding situations. I might be able to preload a 550 some to make it sag ok, but that's alot of dough to spend for something that *might* work.

Your best bet is to wait. Keep hounding both Avlanche and Romic to progress their work with Ti. Supposedly they will be able to make stiffer springs with that material. And they are supposed to be much lighter too!
Thanks BD!

Romic is coming out with this new shock around sea otter. More of a 5th element looking one. Im going to be talking to them a bunch at sea otter i guess!

Yeti DHer

Sep 7, 2001
The Foothills
Originally posted by Abe
what rate spring do you currently have??? from the pics you posted, it looked like it was too soft for you... bottoming out off of 4-5 stairs...

what you got on there now?
Im Running a 700lb. When i saw Internal14 this weekend he told me i was running the correct spring rate for myself. So i dunno

MichaelT

Monkey
Sep 19, 2001
home

Thanks BD!

Romic is coming out with this new shock around sea otter. More of a 5th element looking one. Im going to be talking to them a bunch at sea otter i guess!
By Sea Otter??? REally? Hmmm... I could
have sworn they told me in a couple of
months. Maybe I should quit that nasty
crack habit of mine so I won't hear things. :D

Michael

Yeti DHer

Sep 7, 2001
The Foothills
Originally posted by swiss

By Sea Otter??? REally? Hmmm... I could
have sworn they told me in a couple of
months. Maybe I should quit that nasty
crack habit of mine so I won't hear things. :D

Michael
supposedly they are going to have it at sea otter. I hope they do. They must have one, because ive seen photos.

Brian HCM#1

MMMMMMMMM BEER!!!!!!!!!!
Sep 7, 2001
Bay Area, California

Im Running a 700lb. When i saw Internal14 this weekend he told me i was running the correct spring rate for myself. So i dunno
Whats Internal 14 running on his Disco? From what I hear he's running an Avalanche, I never met him before, but from the looks of his pics he's a big guy. He must be running a 550 not the 450. How is the spring for him?

Yeti DHer

Sep 7, 2001
The Foothills
Originally posted by Brian HCM#1
Whats Internal 14 running on his Disco? From what I hear he's running an Avalanche, I never met him before, but from the looks of his pics he's a big guy. He must be running a 550 not the 450. How is the spring for him?
He says he runs A lot of sag, which he does, i really dont like how much he runs for myself, its dosnt seem like its moving. It feels like its bottomed out when i ride it, but he says its not...

Yeti DHer

Sep 7, 2001
The Foothills
ok now,

Criag and I figured out a Avalache wont fit because the spring cant fit between the linkage plates at one little spot. And if a romic runs the same size springs, what would make a romic fit and not a Avalanche.

So maybe a avalanche does fit?!
Criag tunes them to your body weight and riding style correct? Then does that mean if he tunes it for my weight plus a 550lbs spring he can make it even better than just a romic with a 550lbs spring with out being tuned to my weight?

You understand?:help:

Brian HCM#1

MMMMMMMMM BEER!!!!!!!!!!
Sep 7, 2001
Bay Area, California
ok now,

Criag and I figured out a Avalache wont fit because the spring cant fit between the linkage plates at one little spot. And if a romic runs the same size springs, what would make a romic fit and not a Avalanche.

So maybe a avalanche does fit?!
Criag tunes them to your body weight and riding style correct? Then does that mean if he tunes it for my weight plus a 550lbs spring he can make it even better than just a romic with a 550lbs spring with out being tuned to my weight?

You understand?:help:
He can pretty much make up for lack of spring weight by the adjustment in the dampining. I'm running about 35-40% sag on my Disco and it feels bottomless. I think its worth a shot.

go-ride.com

Monkey
Oct 23, 2001
Salt Lake City, UT
There is a lot of truth in that you can run a lighter and sometimes much lighter spring with a better shock. Krispy had a Fox on his Foes Mono with a 400 lb. spring and when he got his Curnutt shock for the Mono it only has a 250 lb. spring. That's a huge percentage change. He says he loves the super soft feel yet the bike doesn't bottom due to the shocks features.

I watched him do this true 12' drop 3 times like it was nothing. The bike still didn't bottom. The drop had a decent landing, but not as steep as you would want.

dhdescender

Chimp
Oct 3, 2001
QB - BC
1) As stated above, Romic and 'Lanche use the Saem spring

2) Their springs are made by pohl springs, so you cannot get a custom one heavier.

3) The reason you cannot get a heavier weight (compared to a fox for exaple) is the larger the diameter compared tot he same coil size gives a softer lbs/inch rating, therefore to get a heavier spring with a large diameter, you need more matereal. More matereal cuts down on the stroke the coil can move before coil bind. What this all adds up to is a headache for Craig. The next option for him (and romic) is a matereal that posseses the ability to be used in a spring, that can have a heavier spring rate/inch with a similar (perferrably smaller coil diameter, not overall diameter, but the coil itself)

And the Answer to this:

Titanium.

The delemma for craig is a Ti coil will cost hundreds more (rarer metal, process is more difficult), and he doesn't want the cost of the DHS's to go up any further than nessesary. Positive note: the overall weight is reduced. Are we all willing to pay more for a performance product? Consider how much you pay for a fork, now a shock's looking a bit cheaper. Its a considerable amount of engineering in a small space, that many take for granted.

Correct me if i'm wrong o anything here, but alot of this came from the horses mouth.

-Kyle.

Yeti DHer

Sep 7, 2001
The Foothills
Originally posted by go-ride.com
There is a lot of truth in that you can run a lighter and sometimes much lighter spring with a better shock. Krispy had a Fox on his Foes Mono with a 400 lb. spring and when he got his Curnutt shock for the Mono it only has a 250 lb. spring. That's a huge percentage change. He says he loves the super soft feel yet the bike doesn't bottom due to the shocks features.

I watched him do this true 12' drop 3 times like it was nothing. The bike still didn't bottom. The drop had a decent landing, but not as steep as you would want.
so scott, does that mean is i run a avalanche, and its definently better than a fox. If i drop off the loading dock with a 700lbs spring and almost bottom out. if i go back the next day with a 550lbs avalanche or romic, it wont bottom out, but become a smoother more controlled feeling landing, because the shock is better?

Brian HCM#1

MMMMMMMMM BEER!!!!!!!!!!
Sep 7, 2001
Bay Area, California

so scott, does that mean is i run a avalanche, and its definently better than a fox. If i drop off the loading dock with a 700lbs spring and almost bottom out. if i go back the next day with a 550lbs avalanche or romic, it wont bottom out, but become a smoother more controlled feeling landing, because the shock is better?
I don't know if anyone can garantee it won't bottom out, but it should feel better with the Avalanche.

Dog Welder

Turbo Monkey
Sep 7, 2001
Pasadena, CA
Originally posted by dhdescender

The delemma for craig is a Ti coil will cost hundreds more (rarer metal, process is more difficult
-Kyle.
Yer half right about that. If I remember correctly Ti is one of the MOST abundant materials in our earths crust. And the reason why in the last 10 years we've seen just about everything made out of Ti (golf clubs, springs, watches, etc.) is because when USSR went under all the Ti that would be used in their rocket and ballistic missle when on sale to the world market. The amount of stockpiled Ti that the USSR had is immense. Its just that when people hear Titanium they're like oooohh aaaahhh and they automatically think that its super expensive. Yes the process to get Ti is expensive but with USSR going under, Ti is like diamonds. There's a ****e load but its all being regulated. If De Beers flooded the market with all the diamonds they had in their warehouses the value of a diamond will plumet.

Alumnium was a lot like that. Before they figured out how to extract Al, it was actually worth more than platinum.

Bulldog

Turbo Monkey
Sep 11, 2001
Wisconsin
Originally posted by go-ride.com

Resisting bottoming is due to the high performance damping. I agree with you on that 100%.

But....Care to comment on how messed up your sag will be? Quality damping or not, I still prefer to sit high in my travel and run the recommended amount of sag, as suggested by my frame manufacturer. Running 50% sag just ain't right for me.

Brian HCM#1

MMMMMMMMM BEER!!!!!!!!!!
Sep 7, 2001
Bay Area, California

Resisting bottoming is due to the high performance damping. I agree with you on that 100%.

But....Care to comment on how messed up your sag will be? Quality damping or not, I still prefer to sit high in my travel and run the recommended amount of sag, as suggested by my frame manufacturer. Running 50% sag just ain't right for me.
Avalanche recommend you set sag at 1/3 of the bikes travel.

Bulldog

Turbo Monkey
Sep 11, 2001
Wisconsin
Originally posted by Brian HCM#1
Avalanche recommend you set sag at 1/3 of the bikes travel.
But Dave Turner designed the suspension to work with a different number in mind...more like 1/4 sag. See my dilemma? The frame and shock guys aren't on the same page. Avalanche obviously was not the shock the DHR was designed around back in '99, but my personal preference is also closer to 1/4. As long as my Fox holds up day to day I can be patient and picky. Once that blows I'm sure I'll make do with a 550 Romic or Avalanche and more sag than preferred.

Brian HCM#1

MMMMMMMMM BEER!!!!!!!!!!
Sep 7, 2001
Bay Area, California

But Dave Turner designed the suspension to work with a different number in mind...more like 1/4 sag. See my dilemma? The frame and shock guys aren't on the same page. Avalanche obviously was not the shock the DHR was designed around back in '99, but my personal preference is also closer to 1/4. As long as my Fox holds up day to day I can be patient and picky. Once that blows I'm sure I'll make do with a 550 Romic or Avalanche and more sag than preferred.
Yeah I see what your talking about. For the most part most DH bikes run between 25-35% sag so I guess it depends on the manufacture.

Yeti DHer

Sep 7, 2001
The Foothills
looks like im waiting till sea otter. I want to talk to the companies directly. Thanks for the help People!

Jeremy R

<b>x</b>
Nov 15, 2001
behind you with a snap pop

Hey Bulldog.
Good Luck blowing up a Fox on that DHR.
With that frame design, it just does not happen that often.
(low leverage ratio and rarely bottoms)
That is why for now I am sticking with the Fox.
I can see for sure where all the new shocks could help
a lot of other bikes, especially my M1. It used alot more travel for
medium hits and it rides low in its travel most of the time.
The DHR does not do any of that even with the Fox.
Ask the guys at Turner how reliable the Fox has been on the DHR and you will be surprised.

Romic tech

Chimp
Jan 15, 2002
cal.
Hey guys,

Just a couple of notes:

1. Romic does not get there springs from Pohl. I've actually never heard of them. If Avalanche does in fact use them though, I'm sure they are an excellent vendor. We all know Avalanches reputation.

2. Yes we can wind 600, 650 and 700lb/in springs that have more than 3" of travel, I'm not sure where the rumor that we couldn't started. The problem is that the demand for these rates is to low to go into production. Please understand that we have a minimum amount that we have to produce for each run.

3. Titanium is a reality at Romic. The reason ti is such a mystery is because there is a specific ti material that is required. The material, Beta C, is rare and difficult to work with. We have now secured the material, the mills to produce the wire and the manufacturing. We just had a short run produced in 1.5" stroke for final testing and will keep you updated on the longer lengths. It looks like they will retail for approx $149.00

4. Spring rates. For downhill use, we recommend between 30-35% sag. This is the only way to determine spring rate. We DO NOT use damping to compensate for the lack of spring rate. You must start with the correct spring rate for the damper to work at it's optimum. I did an earlier post iin regards to the factors that go into the dampers overall initial load, but I can't find it. The short version: Because dampers are charged with Nitrogen and have differing piston areas, volumes etc. these values effect the overall load at static. This one of the reasons that different manufactures use different rates for the same bike.

Anyway, I'm not sure about the fitment on the Yeti. I was under the understanding that we did fit and spring rates were not an issue. In any case, I have contacted Yeti and will have more information shortly to help clear things up. I apologize for the delay. In the meantime, as always, if you have any questions, fire away. I home with my sick baby boy so it might take me a little bit to get back to you.

Thanks,

Darren @ Romic

MaxUk

Chimp
Feb 17, 2002
England
Does anyone know if romic or avalanche shocks will fit an Orange 222 frame?And also are these shocks available in 350lb springs?because thats what I currently run on my fox shock.

Edvard

Chimp
Feb 4, 2004
Europe
Originally posted by Romic tech
Hey guys,

3. Titanium is a reality at Romic. The reason ti is such a mystery is because there is a specific ti material that is required. The material, Beta C, is rare and difficult to work with. We have now secured the material, the mills to produce the wire and the manufacturing. We just had a short run produced in 1.5" stroke for final testing and will keep you updated on the longer lengths. It looks like they will retail for approx $149.00

Thanks,

Darren @ Romic
I know: this topic is like 2 years old, but I can't seem to find any prices nor lengths of the Romic titanium springs on their site.. Is the Twin Tube still 149$ after 2 years and is it possible to order longer titanium springs now? Just wondering..

cheers