Quantcast

Ron Mexico Indicted for Dog Fighting:

Hunter

Monkey
Sep 14, 2006
The Right coast
Not sure if you guys caught the ESPN Sportscenter episode a couple months ago when all this first started hitting the news. They did an "in-depth" focus on dog fighting...and I pretty much lost all respect for ESPN as I watched it. They warned of "graphic images", then proceeded to show at least 12 different full-action pit bull dog fights as they discussed the issue. I was totally sickened...they could have shown 1 or 2 scenes and got the point across. Instead they choose to show repeated horrible footage of dogs raging on each other...I seriously had to change the channel before the segment was done because it was making me ill. Never had to do that with ESPN before.

Throw Vick in prison if he's guilty, screw him. You've got to be a sicko to get off on that stuff.

reflux

Turbo Monkey
Mar 18, 2002
G14 Classified
Not sure if you guys caught the ESPN Sportscenter episode a couple months ago when all this first started hitting the news. They did an "in-depth" focus on dog fighting...and I pretty much lost all respect for ESPN as I watched it. They warned of "graphic images", then proceeded to show at least 12 different full-action pit bull dog fights as they discussed the issue. I was totally sickened...they could have shown 1 or 2 scenes and got the point across. Instead they choose to show repeated horrible footage of dogs raging on each other...I seriously had to change the channel before the segment was done because it was making me ill. Never had to do that with ESPN before.

Throw Vick in prison if he's guilty, screw him. You've got to be a sicko to get off on that stuff.
I didn't catch the footage that you're talking about, but I know that ESPN received a lot of flack for it. If you ever get a chance, go to ESPN's webpage and look for articles by their ombudsman (sp?). She was brought on earlier in the year to offer an unbiased critique of the organization, and this was discussed on an article she wrote.

Hunter

Monkey
Sep 14, 2006
The Right coast
If you ever get a chance, go to ESPN's webpage and look for articles by their ombudsman (sp?). She was brought on earlier in the year to offer an unbiased critique of the organization, and this was discussed on an article she wrote.
I looked but couldn't find anything. If you can find something, please pass it along. I figured they would catch some crap for it, but I got busy and never had a chance to follow up on it.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
I didn't catch the footage that you're talking about, but I know that ESPN received a lot of flack for it. If you ever get a chance, go to ESPN's webpage and look for articles by their ombudsman (sp?). She was brought on earlier in the year to offer an unbiased critique of the organization, and this was discussed on an article she wrote.
http://sports.espn.go.com/keyword/search?searchString=Le_Anne_Schreiber

One thing which makes all of sport business shudder is a scandal with one of the most popular athletes in the world. Vick is a huge moneymaking machine, and even a company which pays him nothing, like a sports news channel, has to feel the effect of an athlete they have been portraying as a saint is found out to be a horrible dog killer.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Considering the Feds have a 95% close rate, I think it's safe to say that Vick absolutely did something wrong.
For this district 95% of cases won that go to trial, and 90% of all cases plead guilty before trial. Those prosecutors don't take a case unless they think it is a slam dunk, and they know Vick will have an army of high priced lawyers.

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
For this district 95% of cases won that go to trial, and 90% of all cases plead guilty before trial. Those prosecutors don't take a case unless they think it is a slam dunk, and they know Vick will have an army of high priced lawyers.
I heard that on the radio on the way home.

My bad... they're success rate is more like 99.5%.

Apparently, even if Vick wasn't in attendance during any of the cruelty, he personally purchased the property and it had no buildings on it at the time. He personally approved and paid for all the construction -- the dog pens, the "training" area and all that garbage.

Sick fvckers.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
I watched some of the NFL Network coverage, and one of the ex-players mentioned there is a dog fighting sub-culture in the NFL.

I talked with friends who knew people into dog fighting, and I realize it is much more pervasive than I could have imagine.

It bothers me that Vick did it, but it troubles me that more players were involved.

Silver

find me a tampon
Jul 20, 2002
Orange County, CA
I watched some of the NFL Network coverage, and one of the ex-players mentioned there is a dog fighting sub-culture in the NFL.
And rappers, and actors. I normally avoid prison rape jokes, but I hope Vick get a few years in the can to think about the morality of dog fighting...

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
YOu pu$$ies, Skookum's Pom, would eat you alive.

Do you really think killing pit bulls is the worst thng NFL players engage in? GROW UP.
Rae Carruth's murder of his wife is the worst, but busting up nightclubs and doing drugs doesn't compare to animal cruelty to this extent.

CKxx

Monkey
Apr 10, 2006
So just because we don't eat them means that we should be more outraged by this than say how all of the animals we eat are treated?

Suck it up hippy.
I hope you are kidding, because if you can't tell that there is absolutly no parallel between killing an animal in an efficient manner for consumption, and breeding animals for the sole purpose of tearing each others faces off until they slowly bleed to death, well, then...yea. I'll refrain from going on.

I Are Baboon

The Full Dopey
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England

As an avid sports fan, I find ESPN to be a necessary evil. I watch it because they have everything and they are the best at it. I'm certainly not the biggest fan of the network though.

I love playing against their deck hockey team and whooping their asses.

BurlyShirley

Rex Grossman Will Rise Again
Jul 4, 2002
TN
Wait, was that the article where they explained away the East Coast Bias by saying that the east coast "is more important" or something to that effect? Retarded.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
I heard that on the radio on the way home.

My bad... they're success rate is more like 99.5%.

Apparently, even if Vick wasn't in attendance during any of the cruelty, he personally purchased the property and it had no buildings on it at the time. He personally approved and paid for all the construction -- the dog pens, the "training" area and all that garbage.

Sick fvckers.
Supposedly part of the evidence presented to the grand jury is an eyewitness account of Vick personally executing dogs who didn't fight well. This included electrocution and beating them to death.

DRB

unemployed bum
Oct 24, 2002
Watchin' you. Writing it all down.
A rider/lawyer friend was telling me that at present the Feds have only indicted Vick on conspiracy charges, which is a favorite tactic. It stirs everyone up and then they start going after the underlying crimes, which in this case the interstate gambling is the most serious one. Apparently with this being a long term on-going gambling operation that runs afoul of the RICO statues.

The actual crimes of dogfighting and animal cruelity may not even be prosectued unless the state of Virginia does it.

macko

Turbo Monkey
Jul 12, 2002
THE Palouse
This is, fairly obviously, a sign of a lack of intelligence. Anyone who treats ANY sentient being with such carelessness has a severe lack of education and compassion.

Vick is an ignorant, cruel, un-ethical, speciesist f*ck.

dirtydirtysouf

Deletated
May 23, 2006
the ghetto of winston-salem, nc
Not sure if you guys caught the ESPN Sportscenter episode a couple months ago when all this first started hitting the news. They did an "in-depth" focus on dog fighting...and I pretty much lost all respect for ESPN as I watched it. They warned of "graphic images", then proceeded to show at least 12 different full-action pit bull dog fights as they discussed the issue..
death and blood sells............

ridetoofast

scarred, broken and drunk
Mar 31, 2002
crashing at a trail near you...
I hope you are kidding, because if you can't tell that there is absolutly no parallel between killing an animal in an efficient manner for consumption, and breeding animals for the sole purpose of tearing each others faces off until they slowly bleed to death, well, then...yea. I'll refrain from going on.
you are FAR more polite than i would have been. i have personally rescued and helped to rescue dogs that were part of a fighting enterprise. i can't even begin to describe the rage i have for vick and his thugish cohorts.
you think the flesh wounds look bad, imagine how embedded incisors and canines feel in the receiving animals bones. i've seen xrays of dogs who had teeth literally broken off IN their bones...

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
"Hello, this is the Nike Store, what can I do for you"

"Yes, do you have the Air Zoom Vick in Blood Red?"

"Sorry, we are out of stock of that color. Prison Blue and Institution Orange will be available shortly..."

Hawkeye

Monkey
Jan 8, 2002
Naperville, IL
Nike has cancelled production on the Nike ZooM Vick V and the products featuring his name and likeness. They are not pulling his currant products at this time.

dirtydirtysouf

Deletated
May 23, 2006
the ghetto of winston-salem, nc
What I dont understand is how they can do all this stuff to these nice dogs who are about the sweetest animals on the planet.
For all the losers who are not aware of just how sick dogfighting is heres a documentary about Pitbulls and dogfighting...

http://video.google.nl/videoplay?docid=737567328566379082&q=off+the+chain&total=2030&start=0&num=10&so=0&type=search&plindex=0
i like the part how a dog fighter is standing on the neck/shoulder area of a dog while letting the "fighter" have a go at it......that is some sick ****.......id love to curbstomp that ****ers head

DVNT

Turbo Monkey
Jul 16, 2004
some good e-mails floating around.

Thank you Feds for forcing the Falcons to implement a conventional, passing offense!
:happydance:

and.....

A weak indictment? Vick, 52% completion rate. The Feds 96%!! And they even got Martha Stewart.

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
"Rush to judgement"

I suspect that the Falcons and the NFL are trying to get Vick to take a leave of absence so they don't have to deal with it.

If I was pacman Jones I'd be like "WTF".
But it's not a "rush to judgement", right? I mean, the NFL suspends players not for specific crimes, but rather that they were involved in a situation that the NFL finds inappropriate.

Based on other suspensions (Pacman, Tank), he should be immediately suspended for the first two games.