Quantcast

Ron Paul: Traitor to his country

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Yes, you get pissed off students that realize they've spent years of their lives, loads of work, and will be saddled with large amounts of debt to chase degrees that aren't worth very much. And that they were lied to by guidance counselors and college reps who told them their whole lives that if they didn't graduate college they'd end up turning tricks under a bridge, breaking into gas station restrooms once a week to bathe, disfigured and unloved.
Ah. So you really have no idea what the point of OWS was/is.

Okay.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
Ah yes, not a bear in sight. The Bear Patrol must be working like a charm!
The tahoe bear league and national park employees who relocate hundreds to thousands of bears annually to more remote locations sure think so. :rofl:

And this would magically go away if students only had access to 8% non-subsidized loans instead if their current 5% federally subsidized ones?
All yours.

I'm done :rofl:

limitedslip

Monkey
Jul 11, 2007
I humbly request that you provide evidence to support your statement.
I'm not going to patronize you with anecdotal evidence. And I'm sure you'd agree that an underwater basket-weaving degree from a 40k per year private school is not worth the money.

Historically degrees have been well worth the cost, but as costs rise, there has to be a point where the cost outstrips the value for each degree. There are difficulties in estimating the pure financial value of getting a degree, let alone the value of the education itself. On top of that, if we are talking about the decision to attend college versus another path, we have to look at the drop out rate as well.

Most studies look at college graduates vs. people who never attended college, and try to factor in the opportunity cost. This method has problems because people who attend college are usually more productive types to begin with, for whatever reason (intelligence, good role models, etc). I haven't seen any studies that try and factor this in, likely because it isn't possible without very expensive data. These studies mostly show that degrees are worth the investment, though the effect is not as dramatic as it used to be.

The second complication is that degrees are widely used to screen applicants by employers, adding value to the degree as a signalling device. This is starting to change, though I don't think it will ever completely go away. If the cost of education continues to rise then intelligent, hardworking people will start choosing other paths (apprenticeships, internships, trade schools, etc), and this will have to change. As far as I know no studies have attempted to factor this in. It would be prohibitively expensive to get this sort of data.

The hardest part about trying to analyze this situation though, is that all the data is old. It's tough to draw relevant conclusions from decades old data, but we just won't know the value of these degrees until the students of today actually get into stable careers.

I guess this is a long winded way of saying I don't have any hard data. Sorry.

limitedslip

Monkey
Jul 11, 2007
And this would magically go away if students only had access to 8% non-subsidized loans instead if their current 5% federally subsidized ones?
There's a big difference there, and private loans are a bit more choosy with applicants.

Of course, if you don't think there's much difference, then getting rid of the federal ones shouldn't matter, right?

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
If Ron Paul wants to keep government out of peoples lives
Important point if he hates freedom and liberty and tries to block abortion such as they do in some backwards part of the country, he'll be pushing for greater crime. History made it clear numerous times, abortion was one of the primary drivers of the huge drops in crime in the 90s in the US and has been in other countries like Canada, Australia, and Romania:

Freakonomics - Abortion and Crime

limitedslip

Monkey
Jul 11, 2007
Important point if he hates freedom and liberty and tries to block abortion such as they do in some backwards part of the country, he'll be pushing for greater crime. History made it clear numerous times, abortion was one of the primary drivers of the huge drops in crime in the 90s in the US and has been in other countries like Canada, Australia, and Romania:

Freakonomics - Abortion and Crime
That's certainly a negative about Ron Paul. Gary Johnson might be a better candidate, but who knows how these things will actually play out in the unlikely event RP gets elected. I'm not up on my abortion politics. In order to have any effect on it he'd have to change out a couple judges, right?

dante

Unabomber
Feb 13, 2004
looking for classic NE singletrack
There's a big difference there, and private loans are a bit more choosy with applicants.
Ummmm, no, not really. They just charge borrowers more based on their ability to pay it back, and an 18 year old with no income, no assets and a questionable ability to pay it back means they get utterly screwed with regards to the interest rate charged.

(By the way, the housing market proved this in '06, when only 25% of the subprime mortgage market was backed by Fannie/Freddie. The rest were backed by private lenders which meant that private lenders were LESS choosy with applicants than government entities. They just charged higher interest rates and offered sketchy loans like Option ARMs.)

limitedslip said:
Of course, if you don't think there's much difference, then getting rid of the federal ones shouldn't matter, right?
Where did I say that? I'm a huge fan of federally subsidized loans because it means that students pay a lower % on their student loans than they would otherwise. That's not to say that more people go to college, as I've NEVER met a single student who didn't go to college based on the interest rate that their student loans would be. It's just that with private (only) lenders, students would be in even MORE debt than they are now.

It's not subsidized lending that's driving up education (or housing, or any other asset pricing), it's DEMAND. When every single parent in the country say to their kids "ok, you're out of high school and now you're going to college", guess what, that's high demand and of course prices are going to go up. It's the same with housing, when people want to buy a house due to either a national mindset that "house=good" or the idea that you can buy a house, wait 2 years and double your profit when you sell it, that's higher demand. THAT is what drove housing prices through the roof, not government subsidies.

Furthermore, government subsidies have hardly any affect on *whether* you buy a house, only *how expensive* of a house you buy. Think about it this way: Let's say that the government subsidy of mortgage interest deduction allows for you to afford a 10% more expensive house, so you buy a median-priced house for $200k as opposed to $180k. If that subsidy had never been in effect, true you'd only be looking at houses that cost $180k, but builders would have been building houses that were 10% smaller/less expensive. That 10% government subsidy only shifts the median price, NOT the theoretical value compared to the cost to build it (ie, BUBBLE).

dante

Unabomber
Feb 13, 2004
RE: The fed
I don't know much about the fed so I shouldn't have made any comment about it.

Certainly tax policy and other housing legislation had an impact on blowing up the real estate bubble. If you talked to people buying houses at the time, the tax breaks for mortgages were always a factor for them for buying >>> renting.
So, I was trying to get at this with the earlier post, but I'll try to rephrase my question.

You're very opinionated and angry about certain things that you've hard from the Ron Paul/Libertarians: The Fed, the idea that the Housing bubble was caused by federal subsidies, the value of an education, whether federal subsidies increased the cost of an education beyond what it would normally be, etc.

However, you've also noted that you're not knowledgeable about some of them (ie, the Fed), and you certainly haven't brought many (any?) facts to the table with regards to the rest, including acknowledging that about the value of an education. So, my question is, why do you automatically believe things you hear from one side/group (without researching for yourself as to whether it's true or not), but not from others? You seem to grasp the concept of things like the Federal Reserve when it's spelled out in detail, but up until that point you seem to have just bought Paul's argument that it was a bad thing and therefore should be abolished.

I'm just trying to figure out what makes any of Ron Paul's (wild) claims so immediately believable?

Andyman_1970

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2003
The Natural State
However, you've also noted that you're not knowledgeable about some of them (ie, the Fed), and you certainly haven't brought many (any?) facts to the table with regards to the rest, including acknowledging that about the value of an education. So, my question is, why do you automatically believe things you hear from one side/group (without researching for yourself as to whether it's true or not), but not from others? You seem to grasp the concept of things like the Federal Reserve when it's spelled out in detail, but up until that point you seem to have just bought Paul's argument that it was a bad thing and therefore should be abolished.
Dante FTW!!!

Dude, do you go to a church that has "Baptist" or "Assembly of God" or "Pentcostal" on the front?

I'm just trying to figure out what makes any of Ron Paul's (wild) claims so immediately believable?
I think he appeals to a demographic that loves that X-Files/conspiracy crap. I've got a couple of guys I graduated HS with that I've caught up on FB.........and all they froth about is 9/11 truth crap and RP.....

limitedslip

Monkey
Jul 11, 2007
Ummmm, no, not really. They just charge borrowers more based on their ability to pay it back, and an 18 year old with no income, no assets and a questionable ability to pay it back means they get utterly screwed with regards to the interest rate charged.

(By the way, the housing market proved this in '06, when only 25% of the subprime mortgage market was backed by Fannie/Freddie. The rest were backed by private lenders which meant that private lenders were LESS choosy with applicants than government entities. They just charged higher interest rates and offered sketchy loans like Option ARMs.)

Where did I say that? I'm a huge fan of federally subsidized loans because it means that students pay a lower % on their student loans than they would otherwise. That's not to say that more people go to college, as I've NEVER met a single student who didn't go to college based on the interest rate that their student loans would be. It's just that with private (only) lenders, students would be in even MORE debt than they are now.

People make decisions based on cost. Prospective students at the margins go to a cheaper school, or their parents make them pursue a more useful degree.

It's not subsidized lending that's driving up education (or housing, or any other asset pricing), it's DEMAND. When every single parent in the country say to their kids "ok, you're out of high school and now you're going to college", guess what, that's high demand and of course prices are going to go up. It's the same with housing, when people want to buy a house due to either a national mindset that "house=good" or the idea that you can buy a house, wait 2 years and double your profit when you sell it, that's higher demand. THAT is what drove housing prices through the roof, not government subsidies.

Couldn't agree more, though subsidized lending is a factor. The demand is not infinite and there's a wide variety of prices.

Furthermore, government subsidies have hardly any affect on *whether* you buy a house, only *how expensive* of a house you buy. Think about it this way: Let's say that the government subsidy of mortgage interest deduction allows for you to afford a 10% more expensive house, so you buy a median-priced house for $200k as opposed to $180k. If that subsidy had never been in effect, true you'd only be looking at houses that cost $180k, but builders would have been building houses that were 10% smaller/less expensive. That 10% government subsidy only shifts the median price, NOT the theoretical value compared to the cost to build it (ie, BUBBLE).

I see your point, and don't think that mortgage interest deductions were a huge factor, except in whipping up the demand. Mostly lax lending policies by private and public lenders combined with the common knowledge that real estate never goes down.

limitedslip

Monkey
Jul 11, 2007
Like most people I was taught Keynesian econ in school. Austrian economics makes more sense to me and seems to have better empirical results. I have researched plenty of this stuff fairly at a shallow level, but I don't have time to scour google for everything I've read and condense it into a nice article for you. That's a mistake on my part, I shouldn't have bothered debating if I wasn't willing to jump in with both feet.

Silver

find me a tampon
Jul 20, 2002
Orange County, CA
Like most people I was taught Keynesian econ in school. Austrian economics makes more sense to me and seems to have better empirical results. I have researched plenty of this stuff fairly at a shallow level, but I don't have time to scour google for everything I've read and condense it into a nice article for you. That's a mistake on my part, I shouldn't have bothered debating if I wasn't willing to jump in with both feet.
Hey, I'm the same way. I read Moneyball, and now I feel like I have a better understanding of statistics than anyone else, even people with degrees in the topic...

(That's a lie, I actually haven't read Moneyball. You see what I did there, right?)

dante

Unabomber
Feb 13, 2004
My main issue (don't really have time to get into the specific Keynesian/Austrian debate*) with politicians espousing an economic view that mimics their social/foreign policy views is that it looks awfully suspicious that they came up with their personal worldview first, and then went searching for an economic theory that supported it.

Ron Paul and the Libertarians have a smaller-government/hands-off approach on *everything*. Deregulation, isolation (ahem, "non-interventionalism"), less government, etc, and so when they push an economic theory that mirrors the rest of their views, you have to wonder exactly how much vetting / analysis they did before believing that that was the correct economic theory. I'm guessing none. Austrian economics was dead after the middle of the 20th century, and now has made a comeback because people preaching smaller government and a laissez faire attitude towards every aspect of a person's life are also preaching a laissez faire attitude towards global economics. It's either a massive coincidence, *or* it's a concerted effort to push general societal views onto a (thought-to-be-dead) economic theory.

* For the record Austrian economics is bunk, and not taught by modern economists for that reason. Keynesian (original) is closer to where I feel modern economic theory should be, but Keynesian (modern interpretation, particularly by Republicans) has severe shortcomings. Joker and I have had quite a few discussions on it in the past, but this is probably the best synopsis that I know. It (and other articles like it) are a pretty good sign as to why we *haven't* seen the hyper-inflation that the Austrians/Libertarians have been preaching about...

limitedslip

Monkey
Jul 11, 2007
I'll read your link later, but I agree.

You certainly could be right about libertarians and Austrians. For example, I know my arguments about why torture should be illegal are formed after already "knowing" that it is wrong. And often looking at the motivations behind an argument can be helpful in determining the validity of it.

That's one of the main reasons I'm suspicious of Keynesianism. It gives politicians an easy excuse to spend money, especially on corporate welfare. Politicians love spending money of course, it helps them get votes and raise election funds. Invoking "Keynesianism" as an excuse to spend money has become so commonplace among politicians of both stripes that it has really become a perversion of real Keynesianism anyway (as you pointed out).

Not all Austrians suspect hyperinflation, Peter Schiff just gets on TV a lot more. I haven't bothered to look into it much, or bought any gold, etc.

dante

Unabomber
Feb 13, 2004
That's one of the main reasons I'm suspicious of Keynesianism. It gives politicians an easy excuse to spend money, especially on corporate welfare. Politicians love spending money of course, it helps them get votes and raise election funds. Invoking "Keynesianism" as an excuse to spend money has become so commonplace among politicians of both stripes that it has really become a perversion of real Keynesianism anyway (as you pointed out).
See: Original vs Modern views of Keynesian economics

From Wiki, that all-knowledgeable source of, um, knowledge:

Keynes′ theory suggested that active government policy could be effective in managing the economy. Rather than seeing unbalanced government budgets as wrong, Keynes advocated what has been called countercyclical fiscal policies, that is, policies that acted against the tide of the business cycle: deficit spending when a nation's economy suffers from recession or when recovery is long-delayed and unemployment is persistently high—and the suppression of inflation in boom times by either increasing taxes or cutting back on government outlays. He argued that governments should solve problems in the short run rather than waiting for market forces to do it in the long run, because, "in the long run, we are all dead."[14]
The problem is that we never do the second half of that statement.....

William42

fork ways
Jul 31, 2007
I have decided, after extensive research, that silver has the best pithy one liners in this thread.

Not much to add that hasn't already been said though. RP is great, rah rah rah. He doesn't flip flop like those other damn dirty washington politicians, he picks a hardline of crazy and sticks to it. Except on racism, he seems to flip and flop on that. One minute he is, the next minute he's not... its all too confusing, I'm going to go watch fox news and vote for whoever they decide is the best.

blackohio

Generous jaywalker
Mar 12, 2009
Hellafornia. Formerly stumptown.
From a friend. "There needs to be a paradigm shift. Welfare discourages motivation to find work or learn something new. Public utility regulation, while helps achieve lower costs, defies market pricing causing financial deficits. Standardized education punishes excellence and discourages competition. Often what liberalism finds to be societal benefits have nasty secondary consequences.

On the environmental front, deregulation is allowed because pollution creates an infringement on the individual property rights of the citizens. What many people fail to realize is that under libertarian ideals you can remove laws that limit liberty and replace them with the simple laws already in the constitution."

I pretty much have exhausted the part of my brain that fights the stupid.

Last edited:

dante

Unabomber
Feb 13, 2004
From a friend. "There needs to be a paradigm shift. Welfare discourages motivation to find work or learn something new. Public utility regulation, while helps achieve lower costs, defies market pricing causing financial deficits. Standardized education punishes excellence and discourages competition. Often what liberalism finds to be societal benefits have nasty secondary consequences.

On the environmental front, deregulation is allowed because pollution creates an infringement on the individual property rights of the citizens. What many people fail to realize is that under libertarian ideals you can remove laws that limit liberty and replace them with the simple laws already in the constitution."

I pretty much have exhausted the part of my brain that fights the stupid.
Your idiotic friend does know that with Welfare (Temporary Assistance to Needy Families, TANF):

1) Recipients (with few exceptions) must work as soon as they are job ready or no later than two years after coming on assistance.
2) Single parents are required to participate in work activities for at least 30 hours per week. Two-parent families must participate in work activities 35 or 55 hours a week, depending upon circumstances.
3) Failure to participate in work requirements can result in a reduction or termination of benefits to the family.
4) States, in FY 2004, have to ensure that 50 percent of all families and 90 percent of two-parent families are participating in work activities. If a state reduces its caseload, without restricting eligibility, it can receive a caseload reduction credit. This credit reduces the minimum participation rates the state must achieve.

You can also only qualify for Welfare for a maximum of 5 years, TOTAL throughout your life. Spent 2 years on it in your early 20s, and then another 3 in your 30s? You're off the Welfare rolls, forever. Done. Welfare has gone from 4.6% of the population when Welfare was reformed in 1996 to 1.4% of the population now.

Your friend is a fvcking idiot.

dan-o

Turbo Monkey
Jun 30, 2004
Your friend is a fvcking idiot.
Probably, but not altogether off base.

My sister-in-law is a single mother of two (had them when 19).
Lives in subsidized housing (until recently with her now ex-bf who wasn't kids father).
Took a gov't funded nursing program for 18mos because it allowed her to not work. Never used the skills or even looked for a job in that field.
Works a min wage job; has subsidized child care for her kids, takes food stamps etc.
All health care paid by the state.

Three years later nothing has changed.
Drives a 2yo Accord, Coach purses, iphone 4s, fake tan, fancy hair cuts, new furniture, flat screen tv etc .
Just got back from her annual trip to LA to party with friends.

She has at least 4 friends in the same situation.
They ALL know how to work the system because it's easy to abuse.
The whole housing unit she lives in (4yo townhomes in nice neighborhood) is full of people like her.

Did I mention she has a $100k inheritance sitting in the bank?

Those welfare rules may sound tough but, like the unemployment deadlines that keep getting expanded, aren't necessarily how the real world works.

As a self-employed person with zero safety net (no unemployment, self insured etc) I find it appalling how easily the system can be, an is, abused.

rockofullr

confused
Jun 11, 2009
East Bay, Cali
I love all the wonderful statements without anything to back them up.

Standardized education punishes excellence and discourages competition.
How does that work?

On the environmental front, deregulation is allowed because pollution creates an infringement on the individual property rights of the citizens.
Here's a recent local story showing why the EPA is a good thing. I doubt local residents would have even noticed the pollution.

http://www.ktvu.com/news/news/national-govt-politics/epa-cracks-down-major-metal-recycler-bay-pollution/nGKFR/

Would libertarians suggest that citizens be responsible for inspecting all industrial activity in their vicinity?

dan-o

Turbo Monkey
Jun 30, 2004
That doesn't mean you eliminate the program, it means you enforce eligibility requirements.
I never said anything about eliminating, or even curtailing, social programs.
Just illustrating that reality doesn't match policy in black and white terms.

blackohio

Generous jaywalker
Mar 12, 2009
Hellafornia. Formerly stumptown.

Lives in subsidized housing (until recently with her now ex-bf who wasn't kids father).
Took a gov't funded nursing program for 18mos because it allowed her to not work. Never used the skills or even looked for a job in that field.
Works a min wage job; has subsidized child care for her kids, takes food stamps etc.

Drives a 2yo Accord, Coach purses, iphone 4s, fake tan, fancy hair cuts, new furniture, flat screen tv etc .

The whole housing unit she lives in (4yo townhomes in nice neighborhood) is full of people like her.

Those welfare rules may sound tough but, like the unemployment deadlines that keep getting expanded, aren't necessarily how the real world works.

As a self-employed person with zero safety net (no unemployment, self insured etc) I find it appalling how easily the system can be, an is, abused.
Knowing this Dan-o, why have you not contacted the state board and informed them of this abuse?

I'm so tired of all these watchdogs exposing fraud, but not actually doing anything about it.

dan-o

Turbo Monkey
Jun 30, 2004
Knowing this Dan-o, why have you not contacted the state board and informed them of this abuse?

I'm so tired of all these watchdogs exposing fraud, but not actually doing anything about it.
AFAIK, she meets all the criteria (with the exception of the live-in boyfriend, which was a violation, that the case workers/housing authority staff could easily enough see for themselves). I think the inheritance is tied up in a trust and therefore not considered in regards to her finances. (don't know, I don't deal with her much).

dante

Unabomber
Feb 13, 2004

If this has been going on for "3 years", she's in for a RUDE surprise in another 2 (or less, depending on what state she lives in, some states limit it to 4 years, others are contemplating going to 3)...

http://www.fns.usda.gov/snap/applicant_recipients/eligibility.htm

Households may have $2,000 in countable resources, such as a bank account, or $3250 in countable resources if at least one person is age 60 or older, or is disabled. However, certain resources are NOT counted, such as a home and lot, the resources of people who receive Supplemental Security Income (SSI), the resources of people who receive Temporary Assistance for Needy Families (TANF, formerly AFDC), and most retirement (pension) plans.
Basically as soon as the 5 year TANF period runs out, she's going to be cut off not only from that but from SNAP (food stamps) as well. You know, the system actively kicking people who don't deserve it off of benefits.