Quantcast

roof rack or hitch rack?

S

Sniper

ok, so do i go w/a roof rack or a hitch rack? i would rather get a hitch rack for accessibility convenience but risk someone rear ending me. but if i go w/a roof rack, there's the possibility of not being able to get into low clearance places or hitting low hanging branches. so how do you monkeys haul your steeds around? and anyone got any suggestions on reasonably priced racks and where to buy them?

Motionboy2

Calendar Dominator
Apr 23, 2002
Broomfield, Colorado
What kind of car do you have?
I like roof racks the best cause you can get more bikes up there, You do have clearance problems but it has never been so significant that i couldn't go where i want to go.

As a shop employee i must say that roof racks are, however one of the best inventions for commision sales. They generate mor income for me due to people that forget and drive into the garage.

Just keep your head on and you should be fine.

S

Sniper

i've got a grand cherokee, so just getting the bikes up there are a little of a pain :( and roof racks are more expensive.

i used to have a saris roof rack system and absolutely loved it.

Motionboy2

Calendar Dominator
Apr 23, 2002
Broomfield, Colorado
Grand Cherokee is kinda tall. I have a lifted Cherokee and the outside bikes are no problem but getting the inside is tough. I gotta roll down the windows and stand on them to get the bikes to the middle. Soon i am gonna build a safari rack and solve all my problems. (then i will be able to walk around up there)

I personally don't like hitch racks cause you gotta take them off and put them on and all that. I just want it there all the time! (plus i can use it for skis too) I would go for yakima. Personal prefrence but i have owned thule for years and sh!t breaks and bikes rock around. No good. Yakima steelhead works very well as long as you put some greese on the threads of the skewer periodically (otherwise they rust)

http://www.excelsports.com/products.asp?vendor=YAK
free shipping

oldfart

Turbo Monkey
Jul 5, 2001
North Van
Its a truck, put the utility to work and put them inside. That's the best place of all. All racks suck when compared ti puttin' the bikes inside.

Yeti DHer

I post here but I'm still better than you
Sep 7, 2001
The Foothills
Hitches are cool. I have the Sportworks and its works real good, but for the ultimate Coolness Factor, get the Roofrack....

Apr 1, 2002
NY
hey yeti man, i use a basket rack on the back of my ford escape. i can haul 2 dh bikes safely. i use tie down on the handle bars. its a little heavy but i like it. 4 yrs now, 2 diff trucks, still goin. no plans to replace. if u ron the east coast, i will be at plattekill this comin saturday and sunday river MA the following. i have a lime green balfa 2 step. my escape is beige. will be in the lower lot, not the camping lot at platty. ride on, dave from NY

SK6

Turbo Monkey
Jul 10, 2001
Shut up and ride...
The Hitch is a lot more easy to put on and take of. My better half just bought a Jeep Grand Cherokee LMT. Defo the Hitch.

The rear mounting rack I have for my Honda is a bear to put on everytime, and then I have to bungee the dang thing onto the rack. The Hitches I've seen are real nice when it coms to locking your bike down, and I believe most of them actually come with some sort of lock down device.

The Prices around hear for a decent hitch is around 150.00.

Just My $0.02

SpasticJack

Monkey
Feb 25, 2002
What are you hauling? For DH bikes where it's a hassle to take the wheels off, the Sportworks is tough to beat. Since SUVs aren't quite aerodynamic superstars, having the bikes out back instead of being a big airdam on top will also help with fuel mileage. Most of the reputable hitch racks fold out of the way when you need in the back and are easier to remove than a roofrack.

If you have a hitch rack you get your bike full of grit and you risk stones when passing other cars and stuff like that. If you have a suv which is high already it can make putting your bike up there is a hassle. Besides you really don't have any clearance for trees and low bridges. I think the best way is to have a floor rack mounted inside sideways(i have seen it done) and you don't have to worry about any of that.

my explorer is taller than the jeeps - so quit yer bitchin! :)

We put the bikes inside - but I'd love a roof rack because we lose all sorts of space. I'd like to be able to take 4 people instead of 2. HOWEVER, I do like being able to leave the bikes in the car while I'm at work and not worry abou them!

I don't think I'd like the hitch. Knowing me I'd forget it was there and back into something :)

Attachments

Joe Pozer

Mullet Head
Aug 22, 2001
Redwood City
Originally posted by MtnBikerChk
I don't think I'd like the hitch. Knowing me I'd forget it was there and back into something :)
But if you do back into something you probably "only" damage the bikes. If you have a roof rack and go under a "low ceiling" (like a garage) with the bikes on top you will damage the bike and the car.

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
Originally posted by MtnBikerChk

Here is the solution (It might work on other extendable hitch racks, but I'm not sure if they use the same size square tubing):

Bike Haul guard $30

Astral,
I have a roof rack on my car and love it...Only thing is my car is low, and easy to load (with the doors open). To easily load your bikes on a roof rack on a GC, you would need either a step stool/ladder, or a second human. You will be exempt from all drive throughs, wether it be a bank or fast food. You will be limited to the back roads you can drive on (due to low hanging branches) .... about the only positive to having your bikes on a roof rack on your vehicle is that it looks cool, and if you get the right locking system, it is usually decent security.

Personally with your vehicle I would go with a hitch rack, you arent limited as to where you can go, and you dont have to strain your ass just to get your bikes on the roof. On the highway, its just about as safe as a roof rack. Although if you live in an urban area and do alot of city driving, I would say just stow them in the back of the jeep. They will most certainly eventually get jacked siting on the roof or on hitch....well they might....

I guess it all depends on if you live in an urban or rural area.

who knows...

just my .02

DAGumZ

Chimp
Jan 21, 2002
Toronto
I use to have a Thule roof rack and never had a problem with it carring four bikes, actually I'm selling it for 200 (Can.) bones.

I now have a Rhode Gear Pro hitch rack that can carry three DH bikes or four Freeride bikes. It is easy to set up and no wobbling bikes. I now get excellent gas milage, and if someone hits me from behind, they will just be sorry that they did.

K

kitchenware

If you can do that.

I though long and hard about what kind of rack to get, but in the end it was inside that worked best. The van was too high and there are too many idiots in this town to run a hitch rack. Keep em inside and safe if you can.

jim

Attachments

-BB-

I broke all the rules, but somehow still became mo
Sep 6, 2001
Livin it up in the O.C.
Originally posted by astral
ok, so do i go w/a roof rack or a hitch rack? i would rather get a hitch rack for accessibility convenience but risk someone rear ending me. but if i go w/a roof rack, there's the possibility of not being able to get into low clearance places or hitting low hanging branches. so how do you monkeys haul your steeds around? and anyone got any suggestions on reasonably priced racks and where to buy them?
BEST bang for the BUCK has to be the Graber t-rax series... I got a 4 bike hitch rack for only about $110
AND... it will fit ANY bike from Karpiels, Super-8's, I-drives, Yeti dh-9's.... You name it, it will FIT
That is why I like it.
Plus, you get more clearance for offroad driving than the hollywood or Sport-rack styles.
Nothing worse than coming out of a steep driveway or speedbumb or whatever and having your rack, sticking out behind the car, scrape the ground.
It can bust your rack or worse, mess up your hitch too!!

http://www.graberproducts.com/article/article_control.asp?nextForm=fDetailArticle&originForm=fDetailArticle&id=169&class=8&push=originForm=fDetailCategorynextForm=fAssociatedArticleid=57class=8bctitle=Related+Products

KrusteeButt

I can't believe its not butter!
Jul 3, 2001
why the hell do YOU care?!
Someone had mentioned the aerodynamics, that the hitch rack was better. But I'm pretty sure I recall a review of the different kinds of racks and it was saying that there's a ton more drag on the hitch racks than roof.

ReardenMtl

Chimp
Apr 30, 2002
StaMonMts
I've got both, Yakima up top and a Draw-tite in the back. I prefer the top, but it can be a pain loading on an SUV, especially bikes in the middle. The Draw-tite is a heavy-duty MF, but the bikes aren't as secure hanging loose back there, I dont think. Still, I had three bikes on the back rack over Memorial Day, and was bouncing and swaying all around the Sierras and nothing happened.

KrusteeButt

I can't believe its not butter!
Jul 3, 2001
why the hell do YOU care?!
Originally posted by kitchenware
If you can do that.

I though long and hard about what kind of rack to get, but in the end it was inside that worked best. The van was too high and there are too many idiots in this town to run a hitch rack. Keep em inside and safe if you can.

jim
Ya know, it just figures Kitch would have a bumper sticker that says "FU"! :D

K

kitchenware

Originally posted by KrusteeButt

Ya know, it just figures Kitch would have a bumper sticker that says "FU"! :D
I have other cycling related stickers on the hatch there that were closely examined by a very unfortunate anti-biker yesterday.

I got behind this guy that had this "share the road? share the taxes!" bumpersticker with a biker and some big 4x4 pictured driving by a bike. While I was behind him he honked at a cyclist in the bike lane for what looked to be, no apparent reason. Fock that, I sped up, got in front of him right before it turned to one lane and drove like 25 in a 55 for several miles. I'm quite sure he got to read all my cycle related stickers while i waved at him as he honked and flashed his lights. :D

jim

Plumbutt

Chimp
May 20, 2002
12th pitch bivwac!
Dude, I would never put my precious rig on a hitch or rear rack. Mine goes right up top on the where I can see it thru my sun roof. Of course, it depends for you what car you have. If it is a suv, van or bigger then it might be tough getting it on and off. I've seen guys use a small step ladder.

Plus, since fashion is everything to some people, roof racks look cool!

I'd go with Thule or Yakima. I have the Yakima Lock Jaw and the steel head roof rack. Works for me.

Later

Clark Kent

Monkey
Oct 1, 2001
Mpls
Get a roof rack... That way if a mistake is made its yer own durn fault and not some idiot rear endin ya! Yak's are the way to go... get some lock cores and your set!:monkey: ....

Just dont let the ladies drive while ya got a ride up there....they be a bit bad about ramin lowhangers.....:D

Big_Papa1080

Village Idiot
Dec 10, 2001
Fairbanks, Alaska
i wouldnt want a roof rack because i would forget its up there and try to pull into a garage or go through the drive through at McDonalds or something, and well there goes a lot of $$$$ down the hole.:angry: thats why you just buy a busted ass truck with a cap and the bikes are reasonably safe. Plus you wouldnt get mud and dirt on the upholstery like you would in a SUV or station wagon.:)

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
At home, my parents have a roof rack on their Pathfinder. It's a bit of a pain to get a heavy bike in the middle, but not ridiculously so. It's nice not having to remove it. On the other hand, the setup definitely cost more than $110 (but we use it for skiing, too).

C

crazybastard

if you live in bay area try my store tri city we got a lot of stuff in but personaly like hitch better cause if some body does rear end you his insurance will cover the bikes

OK, I'm going to get a roof rack for my car (hitch rack is not feasible). I just priced one on the Yakima website, and it came out to $410. WTF?!?!?!?! Are they really this expensive? Or is this just cause I priced it at www.yakima.com? For that price, I should be able to ride the freaking rack. :eek:

Can anyone recommend a good retailer that has lower prices?

There are several online retailers that discount Yakima products. some still charge close to retail, but give you "points" you can spend toward some of the components you need for the rack system.

Also, Yakima stuff doesn't really "wear out", so check your paper or trader or eBay for used racks. They do hold their value, but not at retail levels.