Quantcast

Roof Rack Q

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
bs. i drive through the carwash regularly with my roof racks. maybe not a fancy handwash-type place, but the sea sucker should come off easily for such situations, seeing as it it a giant suction cup, no?
They just get upset when you try to go through with a bit on. Not sure why?

StiHacka

Compensating for something
Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!
Also I got a seasucker for it, for cheap, so we'll see how that experiment goes. Thanks for all the replies. I got estimates of 300-2000 for a custom hitch, and who knows if that includes installation or just fabrication. I'll wait on it and see.
You got any experience with the suckers, yet? I am thinking about getting one, too.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
none other than a test fit. Seems like a nice product, but the weather has been so shitty it's not really possible to ride. Either cold and snowy or raining and just warm enough to ruin trails.

It did hold tension overnight though, in my garage, so there's that.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Have you considered a hitch rack recently? Consider it nao?

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
Got my first real use out of the seasucker. 2/5 stars. It held my ebike to the shop just fine, then it held my mtb to the trailhead just fine, but on the way back I couldn't get it to stick. No matter what I did, one cup just wouldn't hold a full vacuum, though it stuck to the car OK without. My daughter was on the verge of tears because it took me longer than 30 seconds, so I just went with it, and made it home safe.

The rack is otherwise OK, in terms of stability and installation, but I can't recommend it considering it failed 1/3 times I used it. Will continue to try before giving up entirely...not sure what happened.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes

she still seasuckin'

moving this up to a 3.62533/5. Seasucker was kind enough to send a replacement pump, for free, to me to replace a presumed faulty one. I swapped some parts around and now everything is holding the way it should. Have taken it up to 68mph with no issues. It is still the cleanest install possible. Not sure how I'll do the DH bike, but at least I can ride this or even my road bike wherever I want to now....

StiHacka

Compensating for something
Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!

she still seasuckin'

moving this up to a 3.62533/5. Seasucker was kind enough to send a replacement pump, for free, to me to replace a presumed faulty one. I swapped some parts around and now everything is holding the way it should. Have taken it up to 68mph with no issues. It is still the cleanest install possible. Not sure how I'll do the DH bike, but at least I can ride this or even my road bike wherever I want to now....
That car is stunning. :thumb:

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
bs. i drive through the carwash regularly with my roof racks. maybe not a fancy handwash-type place, but the sea sucker should come off easily for such situations, seeing as it it a giant suction cup, no?

I don't understand. Carwashes are for savages and people without children.