Quantcast

Roof Racked My Mini Clubman

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
My buddy is making sweet custom baskets for mini's.
info at urbanmini dot com

I am perplexed by the idea of getting a small fuel efficient car followed by bolting a bunch of stuff on the roof that ruins the aerodynamics. I'm making this statement, though, with no quantitative idea of how much racks actually cost people in terms of gas mileage.

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
A standard Mini Cooper S with a roof rack and full basket, while being driven like an idiot in city driving, averages 35+.

eric strt6

Resident Curmudgeon
Sep 8, 2001
directly above the center of the earth
I am perplexed by the idea of getting a small fuel efficient car followed by bolting a bunch of stuff on the roof that ruins the aerodynamics. I'm making this statement, though, with no quantitative idea of how much racks actually cost people in terms of gas mileage.
Well for one the bike will not fit inside the vehicle, and two it only takes a few minutes to disconnect the rail footers and lift the entire rack system off as a whole unit. I don't anticipate leaving it on the roof if we aren't riding that day or weekend.

manimal

Ociffer Tackleberry
Feb 27, 2002
Blindly running into cactus
not that it's exactly a wind tunnel medal winner, but my 94 Subaru Legacy got about 27mpg before i put the full upright racks on and it gets about 26mpg with two bikes on top at highway speeds; although, i can't go through any drive-thru's with bikes on top ;)

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
From rackoutfitters blog:

Car and Driver recently conducted a gas mileage test to determine the accuracy of commonly held fuel economy conceptions. The test scenario was to drive one vehicle around a 2.5 mile oval at steady speeds (35, 55, and 75mph) and measure fuel economy from the vehicle's OBD II data port. They repeated the circuits under a variety of conditions (cargo added, windows down, etc.) and compared the results. The findings are the best yet to help quantify the effects of these conditions on fuel economy.

The number one fuel sapping situation is driving with the air conditioner on and windows up. At 35 MPH there was a 15.3% reduction in fuel economy. At the same speed the fuel economy only suffers a drop of 1.6% with a roof rack and cargo box.

We were pretty sure that cargo boxes were the best thing going to help people downsize from big vehicles as everyday drivers. Cargo boxes add extra cargo capacity to a small vehicle but are only on when needed, it's the right way to get the best fuel economy in every driving situation. With this new Car and Driver test it is now really in perspective. See the full article in the December issue, at news stands now.
Though its annoying as hell getting bounced around by crosswinds and trucks with small cars with roof racks.

Last edited:

Wumpus

makes avatars better
Dec 25, 2003
Six Shooter Junction
I suspect that a bicycle or two would cause a hell of a lot more drag than a streamlined cargo box.

I know it does on my 97 CRV. There are a few small hills on the highway between me and Loco's house, and it is a fight to keep the car from constantly downshifting out of D4 into D3. If there is any headwind, it gets really annoying.

No problem w/o the bikes or with a cargo box.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
I notice about a 10% drop in highway mileage with a bike on a hitch rack. At least with the hitch rack when the bike is off it makes no difference.