Quantcast

Roost Protectors?

Rover Nick

Monkey
Oct 17, 2006
Whats your take on MX style Roost Guards. Personally I can't see how they would help a ton in a MTB crash. But post your thoughts or stories.

kuksul08

Monkey
Jun 4, 2007
You mean like a chest protector? I think it's completely unecessary for a bicycle. I ride dirtbikes also and it's so worth it when a 450cc bike throws a baseball sized rock or clod of dirt at your chest, but bikes dont do that.

As for crashing, you dont really fall on your chest (at least I have never). They help if you run into some branches though haha. I would think it's just extra stuff to flop around and extra weight/movement restriction

ZHendo

Turbo Monkey
Oct 29, 2006
PNW
it won't help as much with a body-->ground impact on a bike really, there isn't much padding on them at all.

Damo

Short One Marshmallow
Sep 7, 2006
French Alps
You mean like a chest protector? I think it's completely unecessary for a bicycle. I ride dirtbikes also and it's so worth it when a 450cc bike throws a baseball sized rock or clod of dirt at your chest, but bikes dont do that.

As for crashing, you dont really fall on your chest (at least I have never). They help if you run into some branches though haha. I would think it's just extra stuff to flop around and extra weight/movement restriction

Pretty much sums it up.
Roost protectors are no good for mtb.

SPDR

Monkey
Apr 21, 2006
Engerland
I was wondering this too, why were all the "new" USA riders at the Worlds using them? They look dumb and will do nothing - is it a fashion thing?

DiRt DeViL

Monkey
Feb 6, 2005
CNY
My son wears one, he has no pressure suit yet and have helped a little avoiding scratches from the bars and ground.

Other than that are worthless.

mandown

Poopdeck Repost
Jun 1, 2004
Transylvania 90210
i don't like them. i tired riding with one, but it is too bulky. they are lighter and more breathable than full body armor suits, but they restrict movement and you always "feel" them on you. not worth it for the protection they offer.

MinorThreat

Turbo Monkey
Nov 15, 2005
Nine Mile Falls, WA
The main problem with them is that the sections are 'hinged' to each other, so they shift around a lot if you ragdoll it. The raised chest plate on the 661 Defender would be a plus if you land chest-first into a pile of rocks (as I have done before); but they lack the articulated spine protection of a body suit too.

The one thing they have going for them is the hard-shell shoulder caps are more substantial than the shoulder cups you find on body armor - - which tend to be more just 'tree-graze' protection.

I actually had velco sewn on to my Pressure suit so that I can attach Defender shoulder caps when I feel the urge for more subsatntial shoulder protection.

rigidhack

Turbo Monkey
Aug 16, 2004
In a Van(couver) down by the river
Personally, I like mine quite a bit. I got it after blowing my collarbone into 3 pieces and since then it has saved my hide a few times for sure. I agree about the lack of an articulated spine guard, but I have landed square on my back a time or two and the hard shell did a great job of distributing the force of the impact around. The floating shoulder guards are what do it for me. I have distinct memories of completely screwing up a steep descent-to-drop section and hammering into a tree. Without the chest protector I would have broken my shoulder for sure. (As it was I only cracked two ribs, below the protector.) I find that I pretty much don't even think about it once it is on. Now if we are talking about the soft roost guards - no point that I can see to those on a bike.

FOXROX

Turbo Monkey
Jun 23, 2007
hambur,nj
well if you dont have bar end it ma help prevent you handel bars from going through you or you stem from brusing you. but its easier just to get bar ends lol

ultraNoob

Yoshinoya Destroyer
Jan 20, 2007
Hills of Paradise
I used to rock the 661 Defender (it's a hard shell). The raised chest area really helped when I went OTB and pancaked in the middle of a rock garden. It also had space for your ribcage to occupy when you crashed. The floating shoulder guards really did a great job when you had to tuck and roll. The hard back distributes impact evenly but could easily be out done by a large camelback.

It was restricting though. My full face helmet would rub the shoulder guards and the bicept guards would shift while you're riding. I think it's sufficient for short DH runs and looking aggro for the cameras. I've since moved on to the Thor Impact Rig SE (see reviews). I still keep the roost protector for loaning out or for halloween.