Quantcast

Roost Protectors

William42

fork ways
Jul 31, 2007
Do they work well as chest protection on MTB's? As I get older I find recovery time takes me longer, and a full face and knee pads isn't as great a combo as it used to be. I'd thought that they were mainly for moto and protecting from the rocks that get kicked up, but I see a lot of people riding with them at bike parks too. The area I'm in has a lot of dumb trend chasing so its hard to say if this is another dumb trend chasing thing or if they actually provide some solid chest protection in the event of a crash.

Broken a few ribs and torn a few intercostal muscles before though and it's always a major drag with no riding for a few months. Seems like a big chunk of plastic with a little padding to spread out impact couldn't hurt anything if I take a digger to the chest.

Having not ridden with one ever, are they pretty out of the way or do they feel cumbersome? I don't typically love elbow and shoulder armor because I don't like my range of movement restricted at all.

Bite the bullet and buy one, or just more trend chasing shit and look elsewhere? Do I need to get a bike specific one to allow more range of upward neck mobility, or can I just go into a local moto shop and try a few on and see whats comfy?

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
I run leatt 3.5 on the desert bikes and MX ..it wears well enough it'll be on for certain trails MTB when I wear armor again for sure.
Minimalist, contour fit, hard surface just protects the vital spots.

Minimalist and I use it for spine but chest protection even a little can be worth it's weight in gold...

BTW try a couple on if you can...your fit can be different than others. Put it on and do some stretches in it...looked like I was doing yoga in mine before I bought it...

Last edited:

Andeh

Customer Title
Mar 3, 2020
I just got a Fox Baseframe Pro vest (newer version, with D30 chest protector and side zip to help get it on) for use at the bike park this summer. I hate wearing elbow pads too, so wanted a vest and something very low profile. I'm not expecting to have any big crashes, but given the amount of laps that happen in a day at the bike park and speeds, and also being in my 40s, it's probably a good idea to have some chest and back protection. It fits like a compression layer, and fit fine under a not-baggy jersey. I can smack the chest area with my fist pretty hard and not really feel anything, so seems a lot better than nothing.

Obviously it does nothing to protect shoulders, which seem like the most common MTB injury, but it protects the vital stuff.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
I just got a Fox Baseframe Pro vest (newer version, with D30 chest protector and side zip to help get it on) for use at the bike park this summer. I hate wearing elbow pads too, so wanted a vest and something very low profile. I'm not expecting to have any big crashes, but given the amount of laps that happen in a day at the bike park and speeds, and also being in my 40s, it's probably a good idea to have some chest and back protection. It fits like a compression layer, and fit fine under a not-baggy jersey. I can smack the chest area with my fist pretty hard and not really feel anything, so seems a lot better than nothing.

Obviously it does nothing to protect shoulders, which seem like the most common MTB injury, but it protects the vital stuff.
let me know how you like it. my poc vpd spine protector is north of 10 yrs old now, thinking it might be time to upgrade. i got the fox enduro pro (d30) elbow pads for DH use and like them. also have the enduro pro knee pads for non-dh riding.

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
Yep clavical (collar bone) is #1 from what I remember and wrists...
Collar bone still here when people stop using badly fitting neck braces?

I know a lot of local pros wear those protectors but they are people that don't crash frequently. I'm tempted since for park riding I still use a 20 year old Dainese armor.

Happymtb.fr

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2016
SWE
@Andeh I am also interested in your thoughts on the Fox Baseframe

@jonKranked
I was looking at body protection this weekend and came across POC Oseus VPD torso and also Scott Softcon Hybrid Pro Vest Protector on top of Fox's mentioned above. Maybe @buckoW has some feedback to give?

Andeh

Customer Title
Mar 3, 2020
OK, I'll try to remember to post in like June or so once I get a day on it. The mesh body does seem like it will breathe very well, but I'm guessing under the D30 bits will stay quite sweaty despite all the holes in it. Shouldn't actually be that hot though.

mykel

closer to Periwinkle
Apr 19, 2013
sw ontario canada
I have a Leatt Airflex Stealth T-shirt. So Chest, Back and Shoulders.
So far I like it, but have not tested it in anger.
I run real real hot, and I can live in this upto about maybe 75 degrees.
I have a TLD 7850 shirt, and I can not wear it in anything above about 60-65 as it is too hot.

Was going through a tote the other day and found an old 661 Pressure suit. It didn't get much use as memory serves as again, it was far too hot. I'll let you have it for a good price. :rofl:

djjohnr

Turbo Monkey
Apr 21, 2002
Northern California
I have a Leatt Airflex Stealth T-shirt. So Chest, Back and Shoulders.
I have one of those as well, mostly because it interferes with my neck brace the least. I've gone down in it, but not really hard yet. It's better than nothing, but the spine/shoulder VPD pads aren't very substantial.

mykel

closer to Periwinkle
Apr 19, 2013
sw ontario canada
I have one of those as well, mostly because it interferes with my neck brace the least. I've gone down in it, but not really hard yet. It's better than nothing, but the spine/shoulder VPD pads aren't very substantial.

If memory serves the back and shoulders are certified, if just. The chest pad is not.
I figure I stay just cool enough that I can wear it in both spring and fall, and that it is better than nothing at all. Pair it up with some good elbows and full length knee and shins and its kinda storm trooper lite. :rofl: I I was given a brand new TLD hard shell roost guard a few years ago. Have never worn it. Should dig it out and see what I think now that I am older and more decrepit.

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
Collar bone still here when people stop using badly fitting neck braces?

I know a lot of local pros wear those protectors but they are people that don't crash frequently. I'm tempted since for park riding I still use a 20 year old Dainese armor.
I like my protector haven't worn for MTB yet.., my collar bones get ripped out of place type 3 tear left side last time..ripped the right one free sits in my throat now on right side and ripped all the muscles and tendoins from neck and skull to shoulder are gone...armor wouldn't have stopped these...probably made it worse on tendoins or muscles and tore something else...

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
I like my protector haven't worn for MTB yet.., my collar bones get ripped out of place type 3 tear left side last time..ripped the right one free sits in my throat now on right side and ripped all the muscles and tendoins from neck and skull to shoulder are gone...armor wouldn't have stopped these...probably made it worse on tendoins or muscles and tore something else...
No armor protects the collar bone. I was just surprised it was that common in DH after we stoped using neck braces. Since early ones were really good at breaking collarbones.

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
Keep reading this thread title as "Roast potatoes"

Mmmmmm.... Roast potatoes.

Happy valentines day xx

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
No armor protects the collar bone. I was just surprised it was that common in DH after we stoped using neck braces. Since early ones were really good at breaking collarbones.
Forgot about that I never wore one, but yeah your right ..

My last heavy digger north
wouldn't have been so bad with roost protection...wouldn't have broken ribs and separated...still would have gotten type 3 ac tear and broken hip ..but the ribs were the worst like usually...

Last edited:

mykel

closer to Periwinkle
Apr 19, 2013
sw ontario canada
Ribs.
Nothing seems to have any padding on the side of the rib-cage. It is all Solar Plexus and centre chest. Every broken/cracked rib I have every had from riding was on the side. Car accident, well that broke the sternum and ribs in the front. How about wrapping some of that non-Newtonian wonder foam a bit farther back so you give some protection to that area. Even if it just disperses enough energy to crack a couple instead of full on break, that would be a decent improvement.

That and bring back hard shells on knees; they slide. This fabric covering crap is just velcro for the ground. Especially dumb are my Leatt Ext's. Fabric knee and hard shell shin ffs. :doh:

Oh ya.

Get off my lawn. :shakefist:

djjohnr

Turbo Monkey
Apr 21, 2002
Northern California
Ribs.
Nothing seems to have any padding on the side of the rib-cage. It is all Solar Plexus and centre chest. Every broken/cracked rib I have every had from riding was on the side.
Years ago I bought one of these for the same reason. Rockgardn Flak Jacket. Had to get rid of it when I started wearing a neck brack. Talk about looking like a storm trooper...

Screen Shot 2023-02-14 at 10.40.59 AM.png

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
Forgot about that I never wore one, but yeah your right ..

My last heavy digger north
wouldn't have been so bad with roost protection...wouldn't have broken ribs and separated...still would have gotten type 3 ac tear and broken hip ..but the ribs were the worst like usually...
Well I have a nice surgery scar as a reminder...stupid piece of shit shifted on a crash and created a lever in the middle of my bone. Literally felt it being broken

A hard plastic shoulder cap that slides can reduce force on the collar bone when you land on your shoulder.
I don't really believe it. A shoulder land that breaks the collarbone needs to be pretty hard and it would break the shoulder cap. Do you have pics of anything like it? Never seen them.

Years ago I bought one of these for the same reason. Rockgardn Flak Jacket. Had to get rid of it when I started wearing a neck brack. Talk about looking like a storm trooper...

View attachment 189315
Aren't you supposed to wear them under your jersey?

I still have this but I've cut off the sleeves for some extra ventilation. Not that I use it that often but for gnarlier rocky tracks? Sure.

1676537641364.png

djjohnr

Turbo Monkey
Apr 21, 2002
Northern California
A shoulder land that breaks the collarbone needs to be pretty hard and it would break the shoulder cap. Do you have pics of anything like it?

View attachment 189396
If your shoulder slides instead of sticks it should lessen the chance of enough force being transmitted to break your collarbone. You'd obviously need to be the kook wearing your armor outside of your jersey and land on it just right.

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
If your shoulder slides instead of sticks it should lessen the chance of enough force being transmitted to break your collarbone. You'd obviously need to be the kook wearing your armor outside of your jersey and land on it just right.
Ahh so you are not suggesting the piece of plastic works to lower the forces transfered to your collarbone but a bit like covering your body in baby oil like you're a wrestlemania contestant riding bikes. Yeah this might work but then again would the jersey slipping on plastic not work better? Still it's an edge case. Then again edge cases are when injuries happen. My copression fracture in my back happened of a 120cm double drop... I just managed to catch it with a pedal which accelerated my faceplant.

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
Damn that's a hell of a way to CF your back...
Yeah it was one of those wonky drops similar to what you see in Val Di Sole. It wasn't gnarly but it was a weird double drop where you either had enough speed to do both drops or you went slow since the distance between was 1 bike length. A dumb dumb feature. Not fun to ride but plenty dangerous if you mismanage your speed. I did that (well and my brake pads glazed over so yay) and managed to not only catch a log with my pedal but also land with my head on the only rock there was. Literally everywhere else was soft ground. I'm good now but I could have avoided the expense for the doctor + new helmet and missing 2.5 months of training wasn't cool either.

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
Yeah it was one of those wonky drops similar to what you see in Val Di Sole. It wasn't gnarly but it was a weird double drop where you either had enough speed to do both drops or you went slow since the distance between was 1 bike length. A dumb dumb feature. Not fun to ride but plenty dangerous if you mismanage your speed. I did that (well and my brake pads glazed over so yay) and managed to not only catch a log with my pedal but also land with my head on the only rock there was. Literally everywhere else was soft ground. I'm good now but I could have avoided the expense for the doctor + new helmet and missing 2.5 months of training wasn't cool either.
Shit glad your good....CF is never fun...yeah I know those types there's a set like that above rockstar at tamarack...4 steps you double em or pay the piper...

Glad your good....

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
Shit glad your good....CF is never fun...yeah I know those types there's a set like that above rockstar at tamarack...4 steps you double em or pay the piper...

Glad your good....
Those one you can kinda single. A bit too long and wrong setup to double them riding the trail first time (which I did). Thanks. Thankfully A1 fracture Th4 so not in a painful spot. Just got to be scared shitless for a while since I had knowledge of back fractures. I guess is this is what you get when you jinx yourself and tell your radiologist friend "well If I'm unlucky we might see each other after the weekend..."

Milleratio

Chimp
Oct 24, 2021
I have Leatt body protector 6.5: hard chestprotector and undershirt with soft and hard protectors for shoulders and elbows. In addition I started to use Leatt neck brace last summer. Seems to work well and you don’t notice it much.

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
Those one you can kinda single. A bit too long and wrong setup to double them riding the trail first time (which I did). Thanks. Thankfully A1 fracture Th4 so not in a painful spot. Just got to be scared shitless for a while since I had knowledge of back fractures. I guess is this is what you get when you jinx yourself and tell your radiologist friend "well If I'm unlucky we might see each other after the weekend..."
We can all go back to Marks "RockGardn" gear lol...man I took a digger on tunnels in that...hands were smoked told a buddy just go I had 5 runs...hit a rock and just relaxed and launched into the rock pile....laid there and crippled bike back down couldn't hold on anymore...wasn't hurt but couldn't hold grips anymore.

Loki87

Monkey
Aug 24, 2008
Salzburg, Austria
Ribs.
Nothing seems to have any padding on the side of the rib-cage. It is all Solar Plexus and centre chest. Every broken/cracked rib I have every had from riding was on the side. Car accident, well that broke the sternum and ribs in the front. How about wrapping some of that non-Newtonian wonder foam a bit farther back so you give some protection to that area. Even if it just disperses enough energy to crack a couple instead of full on break, that would be a decent improvement.

That and bring back hard shells on knees; they slide. This fabric covering crap is just velcro for the ground. Especially dumb are my Leatt Ext's. Fabric knee and hard shell shin ffs. :doh:

Oh ya.

Get off my lawn. :shakefist:
Check out the LEATT and FOX offerings.
I have the Leatt Chest 4.5 and it covers a good bit of the ribcage area. The 6.5 covers even more. The Fox Airframe Pro offers full wraparound protection.
Personally i´m very happy with the Leatt 4.5.
It is super comfortable and unobtrusive while riding, easy and quick to put on and most importantly, it breathes so much better than anything i´ve ever tried. I tend to run really hot while riding, like insanely hot, and this thing has made a drastic improvement to my riding experience as i can remain focused for a much longer period of time without dying of heatstroke.
For anyone looking to get as close to the no protector feeling as possible, this thing should work great.
Quality has also been outstanding, as on almost any protection egar so far i´ve had numerous threads or parts come loose after a season, but this thing doesn´t require more than a quick scrub with some water every now and then and remains as good as new.