Quantcast

Rosaryville Trail work

urbaindk

The Real Dr. Science
Jul 12, 2004
Sleepy Hollar
Cross posted from MORE boards, in case any one is interested in helping out. You heard about what IMBA just did out at Wakefield. This promises to be more of the same or maybe even a little more since they have permission to build features. The park staff at Rosaryville has been very receptive to building technical trail features (TTF's) for MTBs and now they are moving forward with it. The existing trails out there are really fun as they are. Basically, it's a 10 mile long pumptrack/rollercoaster with a few climbs to keep you honest.

MORE said:
More to come, if there are any changes; stay tuned to this thread please.

Trail expert Rich Edwards and IMBA Trail Solutions are coming to Rosaryville for two weeks starting next week the 10th of April for lots of machine work on the new MTB specific loop that will be very challenging to most of us here. Lots of TTF's and skill builders. They will return for the remaining work in June.

Please come on out and help if you can with the work we will be doing there. Despite the efforts and the use of two machines, a lot of manual labor will still be necessary.

In case the interest to give back to the trails that you love isn't strong yet, this work counts towards the 20/25/25 awards, including a chance at a new bike!

When and Where:
Meet at the small house driveway on the left about a half mile down the main entrance road to the Mansion off Rosaryville Road @ 0845 departing for work @ 0900.

Directions:

Mount Airy Mansion
8714 Rosaryville Road
Upper Marlboro MD 20772

From Beltway north of Washington DC (Rockville & Baltimore)
Take exit 11a- Pennsylvania Ave (route 4), Upper Marlboro. Drive 3 miles on Pennsylvania Ave; Take Exit for 223 Woodyard Rd towards Clinton (at the third light on Woodyard Rd, proceed straight through the light and you will be traveling on Rosaryville Rd; Continue 1.7 miles to 8714 Rosaryille Rd (on Left, 8714 is within the 9000 block of Rosaryville Rd)

With what:
Work boots, work gloves, Sunscreen, lots of water, and snacks and/or a lunch.

To help us plan, please let us know here, or call, if you can attend. We can better relay any last minute changes to plans and meeting times or locations. We are working to secure some possible food donations. Bring your bike for a ride also--best if before or after the main work.

Rosaryville Liaisons:

Austin Steo
301-847-1023
301-518-5443 cell

Paul Handwork
240-441-3316
A blurry sample of one of the features already in place at R-ville:

urbaindk

The Real Dr. Science
Jul 12, 2004
Sleepy Hollar
I'm heading to R-Ville tomorrow April 14th - plan on 3-4 laps if anyone is interested in riding - starting around 7:30

Look for the hummer
I won't be there myself but I understand that there is a walk around scheduled at 2 pm tomorrow to check out the new section. The new trail isn't open yet but you can walk in and check it out anyway. If you do be sure to report back!

peter6061

Turbo Monkey
Nov 19, 2001
Kenmore, WA
Did 3 laps on Sat - trail was GREAT, no dust and not one muddy area. It was BLAZING fast.
You guys looked like you were rolling when I saw you. I was riding with my wife. I was tempted to turn around and blaze after you guys when you came back by in the opposite direction, but I'd feel guilty leaving the wife in the parking lot for another 40 minutes while I spun around with you guys. Another time.

The trail was in great shape. Thanks to those who fixed the two 'headtube snappers'.

Hopefully it will be dry enough this weekend to spin around a few times since it looks like I won't be racing the baker's dozen.

peter6061

Turbo Monkey
Nov 19, 2001
Kenmore, WA
Yeah I remember seeing you out there - you where also on a single speed. Very cool that you get out there with your wife

lap 1 - 47:33
lap 2 - 46:10
lap 3 - 45:47
Well, she's just getting back into it after giving birth to our son. So just one lap for her right now. When she gets back into it, her lap count will pick up and she'll be better about riding with others again.

Nice times. Most laps I've done out there at one time is four, though a goal is to get a few guys out for a nice little 'underground' six lap excursion.