Quantcast

Roses are red, violets are blue

Acadian

Born Again Newbie
Sep 5, 2001
Blah Blah and Blah
I got up first, too bad for you..

Many ask me 'what in hell pushes you to get up so damn early just to ride your bike?'

Most of the time I don't answer! Why? Because I'm selfish and want to keep the trails to myself in the morning :sneaky: ;)

Solo ride, May 16th...typical of most my mornings lately.

- up at 3am
- at the trail by 4:50am
- on the bike by 5am
- pic taken at approx 5:30am

- there is nothing like eating cobwebs for breakkie
- Self portrait while connecting singletracks.

- oh...it's close to 7am, I can see a few hikers on the trails at a distance. Time to give them their space...
- That morning Mr. Bay Area Fog also decided to come out and play

- 7:30am I'm home.
- Wash up, head to work...

And believe it or not, I still manage to get to work before anyone else…

Life is good..

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
Wow, awesome pics man!!
Love the MKIII pics too!! I would love to switch my Pike to and Air Sprung.

Heidi

Der hund ist laut und braun
Aug 22, 2001
Bend, Oregon
Nice, I miss the fog. We don't get it up here really. My morning rides when no one is on the trails are some of my best rides. :thumb:

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
Heidi said:
Nice, I miss the fog. We don't get it up here really. My morning rides when no one is on the trails are some of my best rides. :thumb:
I'm going to have to start taking early morning rides.

Acadian

Born Again Newbie
Sep 5, 2001
Blah Blah and Blah
Sorry for the late reply - just got back from a ride :thumb: Mr. fog was there again thicker than ever...

Thanks for the props Stosh: The Pike Dual Air is killer, but the coil version is no slouch either...

TA: This particular trail is about a 20 - 25min drive from my house. In these neck of the woods, that's considered 'close'

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
Acadian said:
Sorry for the late reply - just got back from a ride :thumb: Mr. fog was there again thicker than ever...

Thanks for the props Stosh: The Pike Dual Air is killer, but the coil version is no slouch either...

TA: This particular trail is about a 20 - 25min drive from my house. In these neck of the woods, that's considered 'close'
I'm a heavier rider and I'm not sure if I can get enough resistence from the coil.
I'm to lazy to switch out. Thats the 06 expert right?

Acadian

Born Again Newbie
Sep 5, 2001
Blah Blah and Blah
stosh said:
I'm a heavier rider and I'm not sure if I can get enough resistence from the coil.
I'm to lazy to switch out. Thats the 06 expert right?
no it's an MkIII Team.

I'm confused - you said in your previous post that you would like to switch your Pike for an air sprung one - so I assumed you currently have a coil Pike.

But here you say that you're not sure you can get enough resistance from a coil Pike?? Did you mean air?

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
Acadian said:
no it's an MkIII Team.

I'm confused - you said in your previous post that you would like to switch your Pike for an air sprung one - so I assumed you currently have a coil Pike.

But here you say that you're not sure you can get enough resistance from a coil Pike?? Did you mean air?
I'm sorry, what I was saying is currently I don't get enough resistence from the spring and I'm to lazy to swap out the spring for a heavier spring.
I have a REBA on my HT and I have air set up really sweet, I would like to get my pike set up the same.

Acadian

Born Again Newbie
Sep 5, 2001
Blah Blah and Blah
stosh said:
I'm sorry, what I was saying is currently I don't get enough resistence from the spring and I'm to lazy to swap out the spring for a heavier spring.
I have a REBA on my HT and I have air set up really sweet, I would like to get my pike set up the same.
Oh gotcha! :teacher:

Yeah I really like Air sprung forks - makes it so much easier to dial in than Coil forks where you have to buy the proper spring(s).

I can get away riding my Pike with Coil with stock springs. If you are a heavier rider (I’m sure you weight more than I do…I’m at 145lbs) I can see how the stock Pike springs can be too soft for you.

you should take the time to dial in your fork, or sell it to get an air fork. I know it's time consuming and a PITA, but riding a suspension that is dialed just right for you makes the fide THAT much more fun! I rather fight the trail rather than fight with my bike ;)

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
Acadian said:
Oh gotcha! :teacher:

Yeah I really like Air sprung forks - makes it so much easier to dial in than Coil forks where you have to buy the proper spring(s).

I can get away riding my Pike with Coil with stock springs. If you are a heavier rider (I’m sure you weight more than I do…I’m at 145lbs) I can see how the stock Pike springs can be too soft for you.

you should take the time to dial in your fork, or sell it to get an air fork. I know it's time consuming and a PITA, but riding a suspension that is dialed just right for you makes the fide THAT much more fun! I rather fight the trail rather than fight with my bike ;)
I didn't know how poorly my fork was dialed in until I rode the reba set up properly for my weight.

I don't know how to replace the springs in my Pike though.

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
Acadian said:
it's very easy Stosh simply follow the instructions HERE: Pike Coil Service Manual

you don't have to touch the MC leg (right one when looking at fork while on the bike fom).

too bad you don't live closer, I would do it for you.
Yikes, the replacement spring costs $30.

I think I could do it myself... thanks for the link!

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
Acadian said:
Because I'm selfish and want to keep the trails to myself in the morning :sneaky: ;)

Solo ride, May 16th...typical of most my mornings lately.
Where is that?

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
stosh said:
Yikes, the replacement spring costs $30.

I think I could do it myself... thanks for the link!
Stosh could you sell your pike and put a 100mm Reba on it instead?

Or would that require a new front wheel too?

I would think that a 100mm Reba on the front of your MKiii would be plenty of travel and it might make the bike feel quicker like your Zion.

Just a thought.

Mark

MikeD

Leader and Demogogue of the Ridemonkey Satinists
Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
Good lord, man! Do you go to bed at 8 pm?? Good for you.

I'm going to have to share in some of that singletrack once I'm on the ground out there...albeit maybe super-early on the weekends instead of before work.

MD

(PS When'd you dump the Turner?? Nice ride in any case...)

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
morning rides are great! went for one in tilden this morning.

Acadian

Born Again Newbie
Sep 5, 2001
Blah Blah and Blah
Mike: yeah I got to bed early! Sometimes earlier than 8 so I can get up early and ride. Heck, I like hitting the sac early because I'm anxious to get up to ride it makes time go by quicker ;o) I know, I'm a nut! I still have the Spot...but I like the MkIII better! Might sell the spot soon..

Never been to Tilden...would like to check it out some time!

Here is my quick ride log for this week: