Quantcast

Rotec Gearbox bike.

BRIANBUELL

Monkey
Nov 17, 2005
Boulder, Colorado
Hey Jeff, thanks for the pictures!!! Bike looks real good. Later this year I hope to be doing some testing on it! By the way, did you get that CD of Photos Mike and I sent you for the website?

SPINTECK

Turbo Monkey
Oct 16, 2005
abc
The new owner of Rotec (john something I think) was very cool when I spoke to him. That bike looks good, much better w/stickers. I'd love to see how that concentric travel drive feels.

J

Monkey
Dec 7, 2003
San Luis Obispo, CA
Seems like the curved top tube is unnecessary. If it were straighter the shock could be flipped with the reservoir end on the mainframe. Less (or is it more?) unsprung weight and in my opinion it would look more proper.

Cool bike though.

dropmachine

Turbo Monkey
Sep 7, 2001
Your face.
If you can tell the difference in how you bike rides depending on what end the resevoir is on, you're either extremely gifted or neurotic beyond comprehension.

The dropped toptube is for clearance (duh) and it makes sense.

Kanye West

220# bag of hacktastic
Aug 31, 2006
That top tube looks pretty unnecessary. No reason not to have it straight. It really doesn't save any usable standover at that point.

Having the shaft end down is pretty noticeable. Big behavior difference.

Sep 10, 2001
Seattle,WA
well lets just say that before anymore are made (beyond the two already done) I'll get these throughly thrashed and tested.

Like I've said many times before, its the gearbox performance itself that I'am more concerned about. Does't really make any sense to spend anymore time or money making the rest look pretty if the V-boxx doesn't workout.

I'll have other samples made here soon enough.......

I'll be at PA this weekend and on the Shore in two weeks (time permitting) for some fun runs with EVRAC (maybe??).

The way i see it, its a mule and mules get ridden......they don't always look pretty but who the hell cares!

Sep 10, 2001
Seattle,WA
And as for the Toptube.......well just continuing the Rotec look across all our product lines as they develop.

Besides if I had done it straight it would like even more like all the other gearboxs that are now being done in Europe, DB Sabbith for one.

The next samples won't be as low near the mainframe though.....I made it a bit to low so the shock had to flip.

joelsman

Turbo Monkey
Feb 1, 2002
B'ham
I want one, but like sully said only if the gearbox is good. I really want to test ride one too.

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
I saw a picture of one at Interbike on NSMB.com... any news on production and costs? Ride characteristics would be nice too...

edit: I just saw a few more pics on the g-boxx thread, sorry for not x-checking... but still, there doesn't seem to be much info on ride quality...

Last edited:

ohio

The Fresno Kid
Nov 26, 2001
SF, CA
Not that I know the guy, but Sully has been churning out innovative DH rides with a cult following for longer than most of us have had hair on our naughty bits. I think it's awesome that he's still cranking out small batches of frames into the market, let alone diving into gearboxes... keep it up and can't wait to see what comes out of these protos.

boxxerace

Monkey
Apr 12, 2004
@ Japanese Gultch
Not that I know the guy, but Sully has been churning out innovative DH rides with a cult following for longer than most of us have had hair on our naughty bits. I think it's awesome that he's still cranking out small batches of frames into the market, let alone diving into gearboxes... keep it up and can't wait to see what comes out of these protos.
Speak for yourself guy :disgust1:! John might be old as Muthusela and certainly has had the "time" to be innovating in all his years, but I remember his humble (and bold) beginnings!