Quantcast

Rotor Interchangability

ultraNoob

Yoshinoya Destroyer
Jan 20, 2007
Hills of Paradise
I'm a definite noob when it comes to hydro brake systems. I just know they work great and help me not crash so often.

I'm running Hayes Stroker Trail's on my DH rig with V8 rotors. I get that grumbling noise during a heavy panic stop. Same rotors, but I swapped the brakes out with Hayes HD's and the grumbling stopped.

The Stroker Trail's have a larger brake pad surface than the Stroker Ryde's, HD's, and 9's. So I figure the grumbling is coming from the edges of the larger pads hitting the outermost cutouts on the Hayes V8 rotor.

Swapped the V8 rotors with older (very slightly worn) Hayes 203 rotors and there was no grumbling at all, but there was a marked decrease in stopping power. Did some googleing and saw a snippet about the lack of braking power associated with sintered metallic pads on rotors for use with resin friction material.

I've seen the shimano XT rotors and they are simple drilled rotors without the spiffy outside edge cutouts and are available in the 6 bolt design. They are also available in the "Sintered Metallic" specific material as well. Would Shimano XT's rotors be compatible with Hayes brake systems? I'd try to swap the rotors with a buddy, but no one I know runs a Shimano 6bolt disc setup.

Hayes V8 Rotor

Shimano 203 Rotor

Last edited:

r464

Turbo Monkey
Oct 17, 2006
Earth
I have intermixed plenty of different caliper and rotor brands with no real issues. Some rotors just seem to work better or create less noise.

For a cheap attempt at something different, try out the Gator 8" rotors. Their 203mm ones are less than half the cost of the equivalent ones of the big brand names, and I have had no problems with them.

I have also run Hayes and Avid rotors on each other's calipers.

ultraNoob

Yoshinoya Destroyer
Jan 20, 2007
Hills of Paradise
My biggest concern is brake pad to rotor contact. I look at the XT brake pads and they seem more elongated than the stroker trails pads and the stroker pads are wider than the XT's. I measured them out and they have roughly the same pad surface area.

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
Shimano pads are thinner, so their rotors have a narrower braking track. You'll prbably get the same noise.

lachy_mtb

Monkey
May 25, 2008
my mates running a shimano rotor on his xc bike on the rear only, it seems to be running fine, though id like to see what the wear on his pad is looking like. as for noise it is a little quieter but nothing major. maybe try a juicy rotor? or formula

ultraNoob

Yoshinoya Destroyer
Jan 20, 2007
Hills of Paradise
my mates running a shimano rotor on his xc bike on the rear only, it seems to be running fine, though id like to see what the wear on his pad is looking like. as for noise it is a little quieter but nothing major. maybe try a juicy rotor? or formula
What kind of brake system is he using?

DHS

Friendly Neighborhood Pool Boy
Apr 23, 2002
Sand, CA
Shimano rotor only work with shimano brakes. becuase of the small brake track. but i have couple of shimano sets with running, hope, avid, hayes, galfer rotors. and they are fine.

do not use shimano rotors with anything else. (grimeca does have the same brake track though)
find yourself some avid rotors. or the gator rotors would be good. you may want to try cleaning yours with alcohol, and lightly sanding the pads down. or maybe you just need to true your rotors. also make sure your brake caliper is centered correctly

Jim Mac

MAKE ENDURO GREAT AGAIN
May 21, 2004
the middle east of NY
Not totally the same situation, but my wife's dh bike runs those same Shimano 8" rotors with Hayes HFX 9's with no probs or squeeling (since 2005).

ultraNoob

Yoshinoya Destroyer
Jan 20, 2007
Hills of Paradise
Not totally the same situation, but my wife's dh bike runs those same Shimano 8" rotors with Hayes HFX 9's with no probs or squeeling (since 2005).
The Hfx 9 pads are smaller than the stroker trail pads. I was able to check out the shimano rotors and they're going to be way too narrow for the stroker trails... I'll just wait for the new pads hayes are going to release. DirtyMike says they're supposed to fix the gurgling sound.

Last edited: