Quantcast

Rotor Question

valve bouncer

Master Dildoist
Feb 11, 2002
Japan
I was gonna post this in tech talk but a quick look at the threads there showed it doesn't seem to get much traffic so here I am. Feel free to move though mods if you see fit.
My question. I have a pre 2002 Avid Mechanical that uses the 165mm rotor. The rotor is a little bent, I've tried straightening it but can't get it perfect. It still works OK but I have to back off the bite to the point where the lever feels like mud so I wanna get a new rotor. Of course 165mm rotors are as rare as hen's teeth at least around here, I've been checking the Japanese auctions for a while now and haven't even seen one, let alone one at a reasonable price. I know Hope make 165mm for the Mini but don't really feel like shelling out the 25quid or so they want for it plus shipping.
So does anyone have any suggestions? I've had a couple of thoughts. One is using a 160mm rotor but I'm guessing that's not recommended and the other is getting an adapter to use with the more available 180/185mm rotors.

I'd appreciate any advice monkeys have. Thanks.

fluff

Monkey Turbo
Sep 8, 2001
Feeling the lag
valve bouncer said:
Actually Hope are pretty good if I remember. They sent me a seal kit for my E4's once for only the cost of the kit.
Well, the reason I asked is that I may well have a spare 165 rotor kicking about, but if the shipping costs are prohibitive it all becomes a little academic.

Hope are cool, they helped me out a few times.

valve bouncer

Master Dildoist
Feb 11, 2002
Japan
fluff said:
Well, the reason I asked is that I may well have a spare 165 rotor kicking about, but if the shipping costs are prohibitive it all becomes a little academic.

Hope are cool, they helped me out a few times.
Sorry mate, misunderstood. PM sent.

valve bouncer

Master Dildoist
Feb 11, 2002
Japan
Polandspring88 said:
Why don't you just get the adaptor to run a 160mm rotor? That way next time you trash a rotor you won't have to search around for a 165mm rotor.
Good thinkin' 88, that'll work, I'll go down the shop tomorrow and see if they can get me one. Cheers mate.:)
<-----wondering why he didn't think of that.

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
My own world inside my head
Polandspring88 said:
Why don't you just get the adaptor to run a 160mm rotor? That way next time you trash a rotor you won't have to search around for a 165mm rotor.

Because teh adapter isnt the difference, it is actually the caliper that is different on the older and newer system,

Hey i got some 165's in teh garage you are welcome to if you want

Skookum

bikey's is cool
Jul 26, 2002
in a bear cave
This has little to do with the latter more important question, but concerns bending rotors back in place. i'm not sure what kind of tool you're using or what the rotor looks like, but a pal of mine constantly "trues" his rotors using a cut Hayes rotor. He's chopped it like this. Tweaks them back into shape by prying it from the inside.

Attachments