Quantcast

Rotor shimzzz

Freeridin'

Monkey
Oct 23, 2006
Colorado
...Serious question.

I recently built up a new front wheel to a Hope hub and the 6 bolt disc mounting face is fractions of a mm to narrow causing the rotor to rub on the inside pad. I tried swapping the pads for new ones and bleeding the system, but even with the inside pistons pushed completely in and the caliper pushed as far inside as it can go, the rotor still rubs on the inside pad (new pads). If my brake mounts were IS then I would simply add shims between the IS mount and the adapter....but they are post mount.

Hope hub, 35mm boxxer, saint brake.....

So I know someone makes 1 piece shims that go under the rotor, anyone have experience with these? I've never seen a set up that requires them.

Furthermore, this front set up must be pretty popular, whats going on??

Udi

RM Chief Ornithologist
Mar 14, 2005
I'd sooner file a little bit of material out of the caliper mounting holes to give it a little more adjustment range personally, especially if it's only a small amount (~0.5mm).

I don't see a problem with a one-piece spacer though, as long as it's perfectly flat and the bolts still have adequate insertion depth. Also reversible unlike my suggestion if you care about that.

Bikael Molton

goofy for life
Jun 9, 2003
El Lay
thanks for the tip on those one piece shims.
I hate messing around with the individual shims that I need for my antique 4-pot XTs.

NoUseForAName

Monkey
Mar 26, 2008
Syntace make rotor spacers that are exactly what you need.

Typical Syntace stuff - high quality.

Also Magura makes individual rotor spacers that come in a baggie.

Edit: I see i got beat to the punch. I've used the Syntace ones before so +1 from me.