Quantcast

Rotor Size Article - Larger Rear Rotor?

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
riders upwards of 175 lbs?

i think that's one major thing a lot of bike media orgs are ignoring, is that there are a lot of riders well north of this.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
also, i run 160 rotors on the back of both my enduro and xc bikes, but there's not enough riding locally with long/steep enough descents to warrant more braking power via a larger rear rotor. i'd also note here that i'm of the mindset that rear brakes are for controlling speed, and front is for stopping.

i will say i run 200mm rotors front and rear on my DH bike.

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
also, i run 160 rotors on the back of both my enduro and xc bikes, but there's not enough riding locally with long/steep enough descents to warrant more braking power via a larger rear rotor. i'd also note here that i'm of the mindset that rear brakes are for controlling speed, and front is for stopping.

i will say i run 200mm rotors front and rear on my DH bike.
Likewise. Most of my "long" descents are about 1 minute on the trail. I've never had an issue w/ power in the rear. I have gobs of power even with a 160mm rotor. Traction is always the limiting factor.

djjohnr

Turbo Monkey
Apr 21, 2002
Northern California
I'm running 200mm F/R on my 29 trail bike and 27.5 DH bikes. Both rear rotors are discolored, both fronts are fine. Local trails are mostly steep renegade fall line stuff with shitty traction. I'm going to try 220 on the rear of the DH bike; I'd like to try them on the back of my trail bike as well but I haven't seen 220 IS adapters yet.

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
Yeah, I've always questioned the conventional wisdom on rotor size as applied to bikes. I also question the mixed caliper set up like Magura, with a 4-piston in front and a 2-piston in back. If I need a mix I'll take the opposite. I may be guilty of brake-dragging sometimes, but still.

I'm around 200 lbs and do some pretty long descents.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Front needs power and heat dissipation when breaking heavily. Rear needs heat dissipation all the time. That means a decently sized rotor, but not necessarily the same power.

toodles

ridiculously corgi proportioned
Aug 24, 2004
Australia
8"/200/203 F&R on both 29er trail and 27.5 enduro bikes. It's easier to carry spares for trips and racing if they're all the same size.

180 rear was fine on the trail bike till I used it for a couple of enduro races last year where I noticed the E4s were starting to suck badly at the end of the steeper stages. Thats probably more a reflection on E4s than the rotor though.

fuck I wish they'd sort the 200/203 malarkey

Nick

My name is Nick
Sep 21, 2001
where the trails are
190 lbs (and dropping!) with many long descents. Awaiting new hooks, but will be 180F/R. Currently Saints w/metal pads and 180/160 rotors.

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
Trail bike with no longer fashionable wheelsize has been 180/180 for a long time. DH bikes have always been the 200/203 size F+R. 29er DH bike would definitely be looking at the newer 220 rotors F+R

Most "older" trailbikes didn't necessary allow for greater than 180mm out back, and lots of current bikes etc aren't cleared for the new 220 sizes...

mtg

Green with Envy
Sep 21, 2009
Denver, CO
Let me throw a wrench in the gears: if you want the system truly optimized, run a larger diameter rotor up front for power, and a smaller diameter but thicker rotor in the rear for heat capacity with a better braking power balance f/r.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Let me throw a wrench in the gears: if you want the system truly optimized, run a larger diameter rotor up front for power, and a smaller diameter but thicker rotor in the rear for heat capacity with a better braking power balance f/r.
Yeah, but a bigger rear rotor buys you a ton more surface area for heat dissipation too. Then you can run a smaller rear caliper?

englertracing

you owe me a sandwich
Mar 5, 2012
La Verne
Yes or one of those ice tech freezas in the back

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
Sounds like a way to get added heat soak.
That's like slapping a big ol' capacitor in a doof doof car with an inadequate charging system.

EDIT- High carbon steel would probably be a better rotor choice as it is a fair bit more conductive than stainless but people probably wouldn't tolerate rusty rotors. I guess you could call it patina and double the price.....

Last edited:

iRider

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2008
Or a rotor with more surface area: https://brake-stuff.de/en/brake-discs/6-hole-is2000/75/disc-rotor-in-punch-design-6-hole-shimano-compatibel
I think they are ripping off Intend Aero discs, or license the design from Cornelius, not sure.

carlos1

Chimp
Nov 14, 2011
Czech Republic

Lelandjt

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2008
Breckenridge, CO/Lahaina,HI
I've always advocated same size rotors at each end. In MTB there's too much rear brake dragging and ability to shift weight back to use the motorsports idea of smaller rear rotor. I don't know about this article's idea of a larger rear rotor but I am about to put same size rotors on a mullet.

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
fuck I wish they'd sort the 200/203 malarkey
If a person is switching from Codes with 200mm SRAM rotors to SLX with 203mm Icetech rotors, does that person need new adapters? Could that person just cheap out and use a couple of washers if this is a short-term thing? Or just keep using the existing SRAM rotors and adapters? Asking for a friend...

Andeh

Customer Title
Mar 3, 2020
165 lb brake dragger running 203 front/rear. I call BS on the article. I noticed I get a lot less blueing and warping on the rear once I went from 203 f / 180 r to 203 f/r. And that's with running Magura's thick rotors. It's hard to articulate, but I also like the feel better of the balanced setup when suddenly coming nearly to a standstill when lining up on a steep roll-in.

My bike's already like 34.5 lbs, it's not like dropping to a 180 is suddenly going to get it down to 30.

rideit

Bob the Builder
Aug 24, 2004
In the cleavage of the Tetons
If a person is switching from Codes with 200mm SRAM rotors to SLX with 203mm Icetech rotors, does that person need new adapters? Could that person just cheap out and use a couple of washers if this is a short-term thing? Or just keep using the existing SRAM rotors and adapters? Asking for a friend...
Washers are absolutely fine, IME.
just make sure your bolts have enough purchase.

4xBoy

Turbo Monkey
Jun 20, 2006
Minneapolis
They aren't washers, they are,...

Shimz.

Kanye West

220# bag of hacktastic
Aug 31, 2006
This "doctor" has hit the crackpipe a few too many times...

1) Larger rotors have a place on larger wheels because of the torque proportioning, not rotational inertia. The application of tractive force at the tire versus lever pressure is a linear, direct, and discrete relationship between two diameters (rotor and tire), friction values at the pad and the dirt, hydraulic leverages and system stiffness. It's analogous to a linkage suspension system and throwing a longer swingarm on and adjusting accordingly.

2) The CTE of a SS rotor means fuck-all at the temperatures and clearances we're talking about. The ribs are directional struts to resist the braking force direction from the caliper....not thermal expansion. Not even one tiny bit. In the automotive world, there are CTE concerns to be had in the construction of a rotor. Sometimes in the street bike moto world. Rarely in the dirt bike world. Never in the mtb world. In fact, the usual layout for mtb rotors would be a TERRIBLE architecture for CTE consistency.

Follow-up edit: A 400C change to 110mm radius material of 304SS would be a .7mm change (about .028"-.030"). IF, and ONLY IF all of the material of the rotor were brought to that temperature....and it isn't. It's localized heating. And that's a very extreme case for MTB brakes. And typical radial clearance inside a caliper is outside of that expansion. If there were a CTE concern, having arc'd spokes versus radial spokes would have zero effect in a linear CTE situation. I hope his graduate advisor sees this shit.

Last edited:

Kanye West

220# bag of hacktastic
Aug 31, 2006
[QUOTE
Sounds like a way to get added heat soak.
That's like slapping a big ol' capacitor in a doof doof car with an inadequate charging system.

EDIT- High carbon steel would probably be a better rotor choice as it is a fair bit more conductive than stainless but people probably wouldn't tolerate rusty rotors. I guess you could call it patina and double the price.....
I would love it if someone made a high carbon steel rotor for a mtb. Similar weight, lots stronger for impacts, and much higher friction coeffecient with most common pad compounds. I run these on my moto (which are surprisingly hard to find) and they're wicked. If rust is an issue, coat them before you install them and let the pads burn off the coating on the braking surface.

StiHacka

Compensating for something
Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!
I would love it if someone made a high carbon steel rotor for a mtb. Similar weight, lots stronger for impacts, and much higher friction coeffecient with most common pad compounds. I run these on my moto (which are surprisingly hard to find) and they're wicked. If rust is an issue, coat them before you install them and let the pads burn off the coating on the braking surface.
Artisan rotors hand forged in charcoal fired kilns from responsibly sourced scrap iron. You've heard it here first.