Quantcast

Rotor Size Article - Larger Rear Rotor?

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
[QUOTE

I would love it if someone made a high carbon steel rotor for a mtb. Similar weight, lots stronger for impacts, and much higher friction coeffecient with most common pad compounds. I run these on my moto (which are surprisingly hard to find) and they're wicked. If rust is an issue, coat them before you install them and let the pads burn off the coating on the braking surface.
Water cutting can be pretty cost effective, someone on here will be able to draw something up in some CAD voodoo.
Then, group purchase.

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
Flat out works right!!!!

Smoked a set of pads on 200mm front got up to 45mph and that was holding back a bit, had to slam a handful before shooting a cross a road lol...smoke rolled pads disintegrated rotors were toast and this was trying to modulate to avoid total failure...

I wouldn't go faster i knew the brakes would fail, 34fr 11 rear and was past any pedaling it was just steep....

The 220 front has been solid with ebc red...rear likes a 200....definentlty needed it...

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Flat out works right!!!!

Smoked a set of pads on 200mm front got up to 45mph and that was holding back a bit, had to slam a handful before shooting a cross a road lol...smoke rolled pads disintegrated rotors were toast and this was trying to modulate to avoid total failure...

I wouldn't go faster i knew the brakes would fail, 34fr 11 rear and was past any pedaling it was just steep....

The 220 front has been solid with ebc red...rear likes a 200....definentlty needed it...
I still want more power up front, but I havent been able to bake and overheat/glaze the 220 like I did with the 203.

Lelandjt

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2008
Breckenridge, CO/Lahaina,HI
I call BS on the article.
I noticed I get a lot less blueing and warping on the rear once I went from 203 f / 180 r to 203 f/r.
You're agreeing with the article. Its premise is, "We shouldn't run smaller rotors on the rear."
That's what I've always said. It goes a step farther and suggests larger rear rotor, which I've never done, but I am about to run same rotors on mixed wheels, which has a similar effect on torque.

englertracing

you owe me a sandwich
Mar 5, 2012
La Verne
If a person is switching from Codes with 200mm SRAM rotors to SLX with 203mm Icetech rotors, does that person need new adapters? Could that person just cheap out and use a couple of washers if this is a short-term thing? Or just keep using the existing SRAM rotors and adapters? Asking for a friend...
I keep seeing pre builts coming this way
20mm adapter instead of 23mm
Well 10mm thick vs 11.5.

You need a 1.5mm thick washer
It works perfectly.
But you will drop them
And get mad

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Lol...sticky pads
..my reds bite like a chihuahua on a hot dog...

Some point the industry newness will be forks with dual post mount lol
With ebikes I can see that happening
You mean it will happen again in The Matrix.

Last edited:

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
And now we have the f*cking 39mm sc forks for it. Hell, well find out that 38 and 39mm stanchions just aren’t quite up to the task of dual front brakes and we’ll have to increase to 43.9mm sc forks. Now I’ve said too much.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp

I'm a heavy fatass and use the 203/180mm front/rear combo. When I ride the long steep descents here, both rotors are usually sizzling and discolored at the end. I've never really had a power problem with the smaller rear rotor - there is usually not enough grip on the ground to actually use it all.

This is with Shimano XT two piston brakes. :panic:

Andeh

Customer Title
Mar 3, 2020
You're agreeing with the article. Its premise is, "We shouldn't run smaller rotors on the rear."
That's what I've always said. It goes a step farther and suggests larger rear rotor, which I've never done, but I am about to run same rotors on mixed wheels, which has a similar effect on torque.
I took away from the article that they wanted people to run a large rear, small front. And my response was: 180 is too small rear, and an extra 40g or whatever to run a matched 203 up front for better feel is no big deal.

buckoW

Turbo Monkey
Mar 1, 2007
Champery, Switzerland
I run a 203 front and a 220 rear rotor in the middle of the bike park season occasionally to get a better feeling rear brake (manuals) and more time between maintenance sessions. Bikepark laps are brutal on brakes and a bigger rotor heats up the caliper seals, pads and glazes the rotors at a slower rate. Less arm pump too.

englertracing

you owe me a sandwich
Mar 5, 2012
La Verne
I run a 203 front and a 220 rear rotor in the middle of the bike park season occasionally to get a better feeling rear brake (manuals) and more time between maintenance sessions. Bikepark laps are brutal on brakes and a bigger rotor heats up the caliper seals, pads and glazes the rotors at a slower rate. Less arm pump too.
Why you no 220 front for MOAR NOZE MANUALZ?

SylentK

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2004
coloRADo
There was a bike I owned that was extremely sensitive to rear end braking. This was new to me. I ended up using the smallest disc the bike could take, and that made all the difference. This was a while ago. Perhaps modern rear suspension design doesn't effect rear braking like it used to...

Buy a disc brake adapter and be a dick about it :D

englertracing

you owe me a sandwich
Mar 5, 2012
La Verne
There was a bike I owned that was extremely sensitive to rear end braking. This was new to me. I ended up using the smallest disc the bike could take, and that made all the difference. This was a while ago. Perhaps modern rear suspension design doesn't effect rear braking like it used to...

Buy a disc brake adapter and be a dick about it :D
Was it a shit bike with brake jack?

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Is there any suspension design with brake jack besides Lawwill. All others should squat under braking, or?
Certain horsts, like GT LTS. Other horst are fairly neutral, but that in of itself makes the rear end rise up significantly during front braking due to weight transfer, rather than mildly squatting.

djjohnr

Turbo Monkey
Apr 21, 2002
Northern California
Finally tested this at N* and Mammoth on the DH bike. 203 front and 220 rear rotors and Magura MT5 brakes. I'm in love with the 220 rear - more power and I still have good modulation. The smaller rotor up front thing worked as advertised - f/r braking power felt more even. Not sure if I'd go out of my way to run it like that - it didn't really make a difference in how much fun I was having, but if you already have a smaller size rotor laying around it's a worth trying.

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
Good to hear the 220r wasn't too much....
How was mammoth and N*?

Did the brakes feel balanced smaller front larger rear, I'd think weight and front wheel seeing the dominant amount of weight and grip on braking would feel some fade, but even a 203 front is good size for most anywase...

I haven't ran bigger than 203:rear I cooked 180s here and there depending on the chute and line...be curios to see 220 rear matched to my 220 fronts...

I may try a 220 rear I like to rudder turn chutes with back end when stopping isn't a option...maybe I don't feel fade cause I have nothing to compare it to.
Not having run an even larger rear rotor on those descents I only know how mine reacts...

Last edited:

djjohnr

Turbo Monkey
Apr 21, 2002
Northern California
Good to hear the 220r wasn't too much....
How was mammoth and N*?

Did the brakes feel balanced smaller front larger rear, I'd think weight and front wheel seeing the dominant amount of weight and grip on braking would feel some fade, but even a 203 front is good size for most anywase...

I haven't ran bigger than 203:rear I cooked 180s here and there depending on the chute and line...be curios to see 220 rear matched to my 220 fronts...

I may try a 220 rear I like to rudder turn chutes with back end when stopping isn't a option...maybe I don't feel fade cause I have nothing to compare it to.
Not having run an even larger rear rotor on those descents I only know how mine reacts...
Brakes felt more balanced with the smaller front/larger rear. With a 203/203 setup I typically pull lighter on the front brake.

Both N* and Mammoth were a good time. Lines got a little long at times in N* because one of the lifts kept having issues, but otherwise all good. Mammoth lift lines were super short, although it was mid-week. Unfortunately thunderstorms shut down the mountain early and cut our trip short.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Front end/absolute bite?

220 front is the only front rotor I haven't cooked.

Yet.