Quantcast

Rotor Size Article - Larger Rear Rotor?

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
Side note - why does this business of 200/203mm and 220/223mm rotors still exist? Wtf was the point of this originally? I seem to have forgotten. Perhaps deliberately.
it's a metric vs imperial thing

203mm is closer to 8"

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
it's a metric vs imperial thing

203mm is closer to 8"
Yeah, 203mm was the "big" rotor size for a long time because it's (almost) 8''. Then SRAM (correctly) decided that was dumb because it made adapters more complicated and went to 200mm, but most other brands didn't follow their lead to it turned into that XKCD comic about standards, and then when 220/223mm rotors started to be a thing nobody bothered to fix it so now we have both of those too.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Yeah, 203mm was the "big" rotor size for a long time because it's (almost) 8''. Then SRAM (correctly) decided that was dumb because it made adapters more complicated and went to 200mm, but most other brands didn't follow their lead to it turned into that XKCD comic about standards, and then when 220/223mm rotors started to be a thing nobody bothered to fix it so now we have both of those too.
They would have made a 199.9mm rotor.

englertracing

you owe me a sandwich
Mar 5, 2012
La Verne
Which one of those vehicles is predominantly raced down steep hills and low grip surfaces with no engine (braking)?

If you're heavy and a rear brake dragger it probably makes tons of sense so I tend to just live and let live on this one.
2 stoke hard enduro would be closest i suppose pretty low engine braking....
2 stoke road racers high grip surface but if you go fast enough anything is a low grip surface....

englertracing

you owe me a sandwich
Mar 5, 2012
La Verne
Side note - why does this business of 200/203mm and 220/223mm rotors still exist? Wtf was the point of this originally? I seem to have forgotten. Perhaps deliberately.
203mm are 8" from merica
200mm are metrics

223 hell if I know? Maybe just to use a 180 to 200mm adapter or 160 to 180 adapter to get from 203 to 223

Don't forget 225 hopes and old formulas

aaronjb

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2010
I'm of the opinion that comically large rear rotors will be in fashion in a few years. Heat dissipation is a problem with bike rotors.

Also, the mopeds bike stores are currently selling will require larger rotors anyway, and that will probably drive the trend.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
I'm of the opinion that comically large rear rotors will be in fashion in a few years. Heat dissipation is a problem with bike rotors.

Also, the mopeds bike stores are currently selling will require larger rotors anyway, and that will probably drive the trend.
Won’t be a problem when we use that heat to regenerate voltage.

Lelandjt

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2008
Breckenridge, CO/Lahaina,HI
Especially since it's contrary to every other vehicle development cycle on earth (dirt bike, street bike, car, truck, etc).
I hear plenty of 2stroke trail dirtbikers complaining about overheated rear brakes, none about the front. There's this assumption that moto has it all figured out from so many years of racing but those guys sure don't know dick about downhilling and brake use. Enter a dirtbike race and be prepared to dominate everyone when the trail turns down. In fact, other than a very small group of trials trained riders I'd say dirtbikers are shit on techy trails. It's the blind leading the blind when talking about gear and technique. All those guys on 240lb bikes, sitting the whole time, and crawling through tight trails. It's funny to see how much better it can be done on a 110lb Surron with some MTB style. Dirtbikers are as driven by tradition as roadie/XCers. No ability to think outside the box, try new things, or figure things out for themselves.

Lelandjt

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2008
It’s not that I’m against a bigger rear brake rotor, but in every application that does this, like cars, etc, the rear caliper is less powerful so you don’t lock the rear all over the place. It’s the heat capacity that we are after IMO and larger rotor is one way to do it, but increasing rear power may not be necessary or wanted here.
220 rotors with 2 piston calipers?

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
I hear plenty of 2stroke trail dirtbikers complaining about overheated rear brakes, none about the front. There's this assumption that moto has it all figured out from so many years of racing but those guys sure don't know dick about downhilling and brake use. Enter a dirtbike race and be prepared to dominate everyone when the trail turns down. In fact, other than a very small group of trials trained riders I'd say dirtbikers are shit on techy trails. It's the blind leading the blind when talking about gear and technique. All those guys on 240lb bikes, sitting the whole time, and crawling through tight trails. It's funny to see how much better it can be done on a 110lb Surron with some MTB style. Dirtbikers are as driven by tradition as roadie/XCers. No ability to think outside the box, try new things, or figure things out for themselves.

I don't know too many dirtbikers but a good percentage of the ones I have met I have had to wonder if they were missing major structures in their cortex.

Kanye West

220# bag of hacktastic
Aug 31, 2006
That's true for the majority of amateur class off-road racers. In the Expert/A class events where there are major downhills in the desert races, there is still significant opportunity for passes and gapping on the downhill sections/technical sections.

In the AA class and Pro class though, those racers are VERY competent descenders. To the point where I'd say they have a lot more finesse than most mountain bikers especially on really messed up terrain with high consequences. Many have trials backgrounds, but many do not, or get into it later in their riding careers. All of them are mountain bikers however (varying levels).

The variance in speeds in those classes though is really wide compared to DH/Enduro times. It makes DH racing even more mind-boggling.

Motocross track riders aren't real likely to think outside the box on gear and setups and usually stick to tradition. With off-road riders you'll find some seriously wacky setups though. Some have merit, some are just the result of a series of rabbit holes. And other things are just tradition for the sake of tradition and never seem to get questioned no matter the group.

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
Also weren't those Gustav discs completely flat, with no cuts or holes? They must have been really fun to ride in the wet...
Sorta related, I just realized what your profile picture is, hahaha!
I saw it in a forum a few days ago when looking up brake stuff.

aaronjb

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2010
Switched to 220mm HS2 rotors yesterday from 200mm Centerline rotors. Also a fresh bleed front and rear on the Guide RSCs, and new pads (Jagwire sintered? or something).

Ride today with long ups and long downs. Seems like a good setup so far.

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
Also weren't those Gustav discs completely flat, with no cuts or holes? They must have been really fun to ride in the wet...
Gustavs had so much power this was never an issue. I used them for 3-4 years and I never had any issues with them. Earlier models had weak lever bodies but later ones were perfect outside of weight.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK

buckoW

Turbo Monkey
Mar 1, 2007
Champery, Switzerland
Wow, that's closer to the 220 Magura that I have, with the expansion design. This is what I think of when I think of old Gustavs: https://www.retrobike.co.uk/threads/magura-gustav-m-front-brake-with-rotor.398684/

The floating caliper design was interesting. I don't know if other dirt bikes use it, but cars definitely do.
Yeah, it is like the new discs. I only remember people using that solid one on the rear. There was another version that was just solid and no carrier. Extreme enduro motorcycle rear discs are often solid, fwiw.

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
I simply remember they being really really hassle free compared to modern brakes (and brakes at the time since those were mostly a nightmare). People always complained about the super long levers but I loved them.

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
Wow, that's closer to the 220 Magura that I have, with the expansion design. This is what I think of when I think of old Gustavs: https://www.retrobike.co.uk/threads/magura-gustav-m-front-brake-with-rotor.398684/

The floating caliper design was interesting. I don't know if other dirt bikes use it, but cars definitely do.
Wow someone on there wants to buy a Magura Louise, hahahaha!
I can't remember if it was my Louise or Julie that had the mount snap off, was doing a rear wheel hop and the thing just went bang.
I still find it amazing that Magura makes brakes that work these days.

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
I can't remember if it was my Louise or Julie that had the mount snap off, was doing a rear wheel hop and the thing just went bang.
When they went away from magnesium their brakes worked amazingly. Just not their XC brakes but in those days no xc brakes worked.

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
When they went away from magnesium their brakes worked amazingly. Just not their XC brakes but in those days no xc brakes worked.
I will say that the modulation with a 6" rotor was still the best of any brake I have had, but they would get hot in one good stop and the lever would come to the bar.
The original Magura brake hose or whatever it's called expanded like crazy too, I had Goodridge hoses with both sets, it made a world of difference for that one stop before they overheated.

Lelandjt

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2008
Switched to 220mm HS2 rotors yesterday from 200mm Centerline rotors. Also a fresh bleed front and rear on the Guide RSCs, and new pads (Jagwire sintered? or something).

Ride today with long ups and long downs. Seems like a good setup so far.
That's the same setup I use on my 105lb Surron, where they have plenty of power for 1 finger stoppies and skids while heat capacity has never been a problem. Should be plenty of brake for any MTB scenario.

Kanye West

220# bag of hacktastic
Aug 31, 2006
Yeah, it is like the new discs. I only remember people using that solid one on the rear. There was another version that was just solid and no carrier. Extreme enduro motorcycle rear discs are often solid, fwiw.
All dirt bike rear rotors are solid and all dirt bike calipers (front and rear) are floating. Kind of 50/50 split on floating rotors vs solid rotors on the front though. I don't think there's even room for the rear rotor to have rivets. The hubs are larger in diameter than the front and the rotors are smaller.

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
I will say that the modulation with a 6" rotor was still the best of any brake I have had, but they would get hot in one good stop and the lever would come to the bar.
The original Magura brake hose or whatever it's called expanded like crazy too, I had Goodridge hoses with both sets, it made a world of difference for that one stop before they overheated.
Also switched to goodridge. Hell I'm tempted to do it on my current bike. I hate the feeling of expanding brake line

maxyedor

<b>TOOL PRO</b>
Oct 20, 2005
In the bathroom, fighting a battle
Probably a Julie that broke. Back in my shop monkey days we sold Julie’s on all our budget builds because they were cheap as hell. We bought OEM cases of them for like $25/pair. They were a goofy ultra low pressure system that used cheap plastic lines and even cheaper plastic fittings, they did work well when they weren’t broken.

Louis, at least the 2nd Gen forward, we’re phenomenal. There’s still a set on my ‘05 yeti that have never been bleed. Still feel better than most new brakes and they had gobs of power, if it weren’t for being 51mm IS I’d probably still have my other pair on a bike.

Magura also used Galfer rotors that were thicker than standard and had far fewer holes back then, I think that helped their performance a lot. I’ve never had a rotor last as long, stay as true and refuse to heat up quite like those early Galfer/Maguras.

mykel

closer to Periwinkle
Apr 19, 2013
sw ontario canada
Still have Louise BAT's (2010ish?) with Venti rotors still in service on one bike.
They are still strong and well modulating - just a good feeling brake, well at least on the 26'r they are on. The rotors are about done as they are now pretty worn at 1.7mm (2.0 when new) but still running true. I had really good luck with these rotors having a few sets. Just wished the adjustment knobs on the brakes were alloy and not plastic.

1659464437251.png

Last edited:

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
Still have Louise BAT's (2010ish?) with Venti rotors still in service on one bike.
They are still strong and well modulating - just a good feeling brake, well at least on the 26'r they are on. The rotors are about done as they are now pretty worn at 1.7mm (2.0 when new) but still running true. I had really good luck with these rotors having a few sets. Just wished the adjustment knobs on the brakes were alloy and not plastic.

View attachment 179999
Those rotors were sold quite late after 2010 I'm sure since I found them new at quite a few shops around 2013. They were amazing. If I was on the market for a new rotor I'd seriously consider hunting those.

Also this topic really makes me want to visit my father only to dig through the old parts cellar