Quantcast

rotor size for street bike

JTVW

Monkey
Jun 17, 2004
somewhere hot
Hey yall
I'm going to buy a new Avid Juicy 7 for my P1 and I am wondering what rotor size is best. I don't want the biggest size, cause I think it will be too big, and I don't want to bash it into crap while pulling gnarl-esque street moves. So the real question is this:
Is the smallest rotor size going to provide me with enough power. Btw I can get the smaller rotor size for 155 dollars, while the medium sized one is $185, so that kind of makes a difference. Is it worth the extra money for the added stopping power? Or should I save the money?
Thanks for your help. :)

Rik

Turbo Monkey
Nov 6, 2001
Sydney, Australia
Go 6", or run V brakes if you can. I can't see any reason against V's for street, but I can see many for them (less likely to trash, simpler, better for bmx/trialsy moves)

dexterq20

Turbo Monkey
Mar 6, 2003
NorCal
Rik said:
Go 6", or run V brakes if you can. I can't see any reason against V's for street, but I can see many for them (less likely to trash, simpler, better for bmx/trialsy moves)
Hmmm, oh I dunno, maybe if YOUR WHEEL GOES OUTTA TRUE? Cuz, ya know, riding with a rubbing brake because you knocked the sh!t outta your wheel is a helluva lotta fun. :rolleyes:

Please, for the good of the cause, get a 6" disc brake.

Rik

Turbo Monkey
Nov 6, 2001
Sydney, Australia
Knocking wheels out of shape on street? Well... I guess it depends what you do on street. I would've thought you'd have a hard time to really pull a wheel out of true when streeting, unless you borked up some rotation moves.

But, what about when your rotor gets bent? or your caliper gets smashed? Very likely with BMX-style stuff. Plus stalling/hopping with discs never feels pleasant to me, having the pads move around in the caliper is rather off putting.

Which leads me to ask the question: Why on earth are there so many street-specific frames coming out that lack cantilever mounts?

JTVW

Monkey
Jun 17, 2004
somewhere hot
thanks for the replies
my p1 has no v-brake mounts, and they aren't powerful enough anyway
I don't grind or anything, so the small rotor size is unlikely to get bent
and I have the amazing ability to completely botch all 180's, which really takes a toll on your wheel
I think I'll go with the 6", and I will order them tonight!

Funky Monk

Monkey
Jul 17, 2003
near El circulo Polar Arctico
Rik said:
Which leads me to ask the question: Why on earth are there so many street-specific frames coming out that lack cantilever mounts?
manufacturers have learned that disc brakes 0wN!!!!!!11one1.

but seriously, I think v's are fine with a street bike that's prone to get beaten to **** in no time...less bling as well.

If your a poser like me then the hope 6pots are a must.

D_D

Monkey
Dec 16, 2001
UK
Rik said:
Knocking wheels out of shape on street? Well... I guess it depends what you do on street. I would've thought you'd have a hard time to really pull a wheel out of true when streeting, unless you borked up some rotation moves.

But, what about when your rotor gets bent? or your caliper gets smashed? Very likely with BMX-style stuff. Plus stalling/hopping with discs never feels pleasant to me, having the pads move around in the caliper is rather off putting.

Street varies massivly depending on the local terrain. Where I am practically everything has a hard 90* edge. Even with high tyre pressure it's easy to ding a rim which is a pain with rim brakes.

Also many people use there street specific frame for other uses. For me being able to use the same bike for street / xc etc. is a big advantage, rim brakes and mud don't mix so I use disks.
Plus disks are seen as better and cooler than rim brakes which matters for a lot of people.

Still if I only rode street I would proberly use rim brakes. Most of the braking I do is quickly locking up the wheel. Rim brakes are a lot more consistant under such conditions. I find with disks they get worse and worse until I have to blast down a hill a couple of times to get the power back.

Rik

Turbo Monkey
Nov 6, 2001
Sydney, Australia
I agree with your points D_D, but does having cantilever mounts detract from the bike at all? It's a shame that they're being neglected.

Curb Hucker

I am an idiot
Feb 4, 2004
Sleeping in my Kenworth
Rik said:

my street wheels get more abuse than DH wheels. When trying rotating moves, wall rides, park riding, and other crazy crap, the wheels get messed up