Quantcast

Rotor size question.

DHS

Friendly Neighborhood Pool Boy
Apr 23, 2002
Sand, CA
i'll be receiving a Niner Sir9 frame later this week. and was curious, with shimano xt brakes, new style, would i be ok with a 140mm rear rotor?
and a 160 front?

or is everyone running bigger rotors?

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
Depends a lot on how you plan to use the bike I guess. Will it strictly be for racing or mainly XCish riding or will you be riding it hard on steep and technical terrain? If so, I'd go with the next size up in front and rear than what you are proposing now - unless you are looking to keep this as a really light build.

DHS

Apr 23, 2002
Sand, CA
well never really had much time on a 29er. figured it was about time i tried it. so mostly setup first as a play bike.
so i guess i'll try it. if it fails, i'll move to the bigger size.
thanks

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
Well, my buddy let me use his hardtail (26 inch), and he slipped on a 4 inch rotor and I didn't even realize.

Nat

Chimp
Apr 16, 2006
Bend, OR
i'll be receiving a Niner Sir9 frame later this week. and was curious, with shimano xt brakes, new style, would i be ok with a 140mm rear rotor?
and a 160 front?

I was unable to fit a 160 rotor in the rear. It hit the highly curvalicious chainstay. I don't know if Niner has changed the shape at all since I got my frame two years ago though.

DHS

Apr 23, 2002
Sand, CA
I was unable to fit a 160 rotor in the rear. It hit the highly curvalicious chainstay. I don't know if Niner has changed the shape at all since I got my frame two years ago though.
ooo, nice point. well have the 140 2piece rotor anyway. wanting to try.
thanks for the heads up.

got a pic of your build?

ÆX

Turbo Monkey
Sep 8, 2001
NM
and a 160 front?

give us a report on how you like it. or don't.

what tires are you using?

Nat

Chimp
Apr 16, 2006
Bend, OR
ooo, nice point. well have the 140 2piece rotor anyway. wanting to try.
thanks for the heads up.

got a pic of your build?
I just realized an error: I could not fit a 180mm Avid rotor. The 160 fits fine. Sorry about that.

It's actually my wife's Niner.

BTW, the puny 100kB attachment size limit on Ridemonkey might be a deal breaker for me, since I'm a pic junkie.

Attachments

allsk8sno

Turbo Monkey
Jun 6, 2002
Bellingham, WA
Niners look nice for the xcer...but anyways as far as the pics go, use an image hosting site (photobucket, flickr etc...) and imag tag...its not rocket science and you can link the pics to more than just RM

Guitar Ted

Monkey
Aug 21, 2006
Waterloo, IA
I'd recommendo a bigger front rotor. I run 180mm on all of my personal rigs up front. The rear at 140mm would still probably lock up the wheel with a powerful set of hydro brakes, so I don't see an issue there.

Nat

Chimp
Apr 16, 2006
Bend, OR
Niners look nice for the xcer...but anyways as far as the pics go, use an image hosting site (photobucket, flickr etc...) and imag tag...its not rocket science and you can link the pics to more than just RM
Yeah, I know. I was feeling lazy and histrionic.

DHS

Apr 23, 2002
Sand, CA
give us a report on how you like it. or don't.

what tires are you using?
WTB 2.3 exiwolf

just got the frame in. i think i'll be fine on the medium, the top tube is huge.

just waiting on Fox F100 29 fork, wheels need to get built, and brakes need to be bled. should be pretty fun.

i was thinking a 25/14 gear ratio setup to start.