Quantcast

rotten food question...

golgiaparatus

Out of my element
Aug 30, 2002
Deep in the Jungles of Oklahoma
Okay, you accidentally leave out a bottle of Ranch dressing overnight. You go home for lunch to eat a salad and you realize CRAP ranch dressing is still out. You smell it, you taste it... everything seems fine...

You pour the dressing on your salad, despite the fact that it has been sitting out for 10 hours, and chow down... should you expect to get a stomach ache about 2 hours later?

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
Vinegar, salt and BHT? Nope, leaving it out wasn't what gave you a stomach ache. :p

EDIT: Oh... this was my 10,000 post. Not as earth shattering as I'd hoped but not as scary as a broken condom either... :oink:

golgiaparatus

Out of my element
Aug 30, 2002
Deep in the Jungles of Oklahoma
Serial Midget said:
Vinegar, salt and BHT? Nope, leaving it out wasn't what gave you a stomach ache. :p

EDIT: Oh... this was my 10,000 post. Not as earth shattering as I'd hoped but not as scary as a broken condom either... :oink:
Well then it must be something else thats making me feel like I want to "eject" my lunch all over my keyboard.

BTW, WTF is BHT?

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
As a lazy slob I have eaten various foods that have been left out for a day or so without ever getting sick. I figure there is nothing wrong with it or I just have developed an iron stomach. My mother always told me that when she grew up in England in the 40's they never had a fridge. Milk, cheese, eggs and meat were just consumed in a day or two without ever having problems. We are just used to having refrigeration and having food last weeks, a half a day out should be no problem.

I have however gotten sick off of a frozen burrito my roomate had in his room for a week. Instead of throwing it away the bastard shoved it into the toaster over, I came home from class and ate it thinking it was leftover from lunch. I ended up purging from both ends.

Knuckleslammer

took the red pill
Westy said:
I have however gotten sick off of a frozen burrito my roomate had in his room for a week. Instead of throwing it away the bastard shoved it into the toaster over, I came home from class and ate it thinking it was leftover from lunch. I ended up purging from both ends.
Watch that Mexican food man.

April 13 - An Arizona woman says she's feeling good, a little more than a week after undergoing six hours of surgery to remove a worm that had lodged in her brain.
Dawn Becerra and her doctors believe the parasite got into her system three years ago, when she ate a pork taco while on a visit to Mexico.

Becerra said she was ill for three weeks after eating the taco. Soon after, she began suffering violent seizures. Later, doctors determined she had a parasitic worm in her brain and it had caused neurocysticercosis — a lesion in her brain.

reflux

Turbo Monkey
Mar 18, 2002
G14 Classified
I once had a roommate leave a package of raw ground beef on our kitchen counter at room temp for 12 hours. What did he do? He cleaned up the mess, put it in the fridge and cooked it for dinner that night. Did he die? No. Did he get sick? No. Would I have done the same? F* NO!

BMXman

I wish I was Canadian
Sep 8, 2001
Victoria, BC
golgiaparatus said:
Okay, you accidentally leave out a bottle of Ranch dressing overnight. You go home for lunch to eat a salad and you realize CRAP ranch dressing is still out. You smell it, you taste it... everything seems fine...

You pour the dressing on your salad, despite the fact that it has been sitting out for 10 hours, and chow down... should you expect to get a stomach ache about 2 hours later?
there are many variables that are involved when considering what might happen......

Do you have a realativly clean house?
What type of bottle was the dressing in?
How much preservatives are in the dressing
Actual dairy content of dressing?

I do this for a living so I know a little about it.....I think next time you should think harder about your choice or whether to eat food that's been left out....typically any food that contains animal products or has a high protien content stored between 43-144 degrees for more than a 1/2 hour can be potentially very dangerous.....D

arsenic

Monkey
May 9, 2004
springfield, va
ick. i toss out more crap cause i *think* it might be bad. i also have this thing about giving milk a wiff before pouring, even if it was just bought. :)