Quantcast

Router rooted: Next step, hit it with a hammer?

valve bouncer

Master Dildoist
Feb 11, 2002
Japan
So I bought a new wireless router and despite being a complete thickie computer spastic I can generally get things going in a "wonder what this button does?" kind of way. Not this time. Buggery f*ck.
Anyway, things the router can do;
It can connect via a LAN cable.
Send out a wireless signal that both my computers can connect and tries to connect but can't.
Display all the pretty lights correctly
Things the router can't do;
Connect wirelessly
Be pinged (request times out)
F*cking work
Things I've tried;
Followed the instruction book (in Japanese of course)
Resetting the router
Manually inputting the addresses in TCP/IP
Turning off firewalls and virus protection
Used command prompt to find "ipconfig" ???
Calling tech support- can't get through
Googled my fingers to the bone and consulted the troubleshooting section of the manufacturers web-site
Screamed
It's a Planex MZK-W40N fwiw. Any help will be appreciated.

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
Never heard of it but maybe you have to login to the web interface and run a setup wizard to configure the wireless. A lot of the newer consumer routers are locked down out of the box and require configuration before you can use the wifi.

valve bouncer

Master Dildoist
Feb 11, 2002
Japan
Never heard of it but maybe you have to login to the web interface and run a setup wizard to configure the wireless. A lot of the newer consumer routers are locked down out of the box and require configuration before you can use the wifi.
Yeah, I can't get to the page. Typing http://192.168.1.1 to access the router configuaration page just leads to an operation timed out message.

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
You are doing this over the ethernet connection, correct? Is that the URL in the instructions? Was your ethernet connection manually configured prior - it must be set to Obtain IP address automatically and Obtain DNS server address automatically.

If you go to a command prompt you can use ipconfig to figure out the router IP address - it will be the default gateway.

Then you can try http://x.x.x.x or sometimes its https://x.x.x.x

Last edited:

valve bouncer

Master Dildoist
Feb 11, 2002
Japan
When I do the ipconfig /all thing I get no address for the default gateway on the wireless adapter. It's completely blank. The LAN works fine.

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
What about DHCP - that is also the router.

Can you scroll up, maybe the list is too long to see LAN information

valve bouncer

Master Dildoist
Feb 11, 2002
Japan
Microsoft Windows XP [Version 5.1.2600]
(C) Copyright 1985-2001 Microsoft Corp.

C:\Documents and Settings\WilliamsDavid>ipconfig /all

Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : DAVID
Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . :
Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Hybrid
IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No

Ethernet adapter ローカル エリア接続:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Broadcom 440x 10/100 Integrated Cont
roller
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-1D-09-D8-58-5F
Dhcp Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.24.51
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.24.1
DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.24.1
DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.24.1
Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : Wednesday, 21 January 2009 12:16:32
AM
Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : Wednesday, 21 January 2009 1:16:32 A
M

Ethernet adapter ワイヤレス ネットワーク接続:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Dell ワイヤレス 1490 デュアル バンド
WLAN Mini-Card
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-1F-E1-37-69-EE
Dhcp Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
Autoconfiguration IP Address. . . : 169.254.5.22
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.0.0
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1

C:\Documents and Settings\WilliamsDav

Translations ローカル エリア接続:= local are connection, ワイヤレス ネットワーク接続= wireless network connection

Last edited:

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
http://192.168.24.1 should work according to the manual:

http://www.planex.net/download/router/mzk-w04n.htm

Make sure the WAN cable from your modem is plugged into the WAN port and LAN cable into on of the LAN ports.

Shutdown your computer, unplug your modem's powercord, and unplug your new router's powercord. Plug in your modem's power first and wait a minute or so for it come back up. Afterwards plug in your router. Finally turn on your computer. If you still have problems would reset the router:

Press the button for 3-5 seconds, and then unplug
the power cord, but do not release the Reset
button and wait for 3 seconds before plugging the
power cord back. Release the Reset button and
MZK-W04N will automatically restart and back
to the default settings.
Aftewards reset your computer and check what the LAN (not wifi) gateway is and use the IP given to fill in http://x.x.x.x

$tinkle

Expert on blowing
Feb 12, 2003
Yeah, I can't get to the page. Typing http://192.168.1.1 to access the router configuaration page just leads to an operation timed out message.
ermmm, i always use 192.168.0.1

assuming you posted your full ipconfig results, your wifi isn't configured. was it previously? if not: control panel -> wireless network setup wizard

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
ermmm, i always use 192.168.0.1

assuming you posted your full ipconfig results, your wifi isn't configured. was it previously? if not: control panel -> wireless network setup wizard
He was connected to the Internet via ethernet to the router if you look at his posted information. Routers vary as far as the default interface IP. A lot of newer consumer routers will not work out of the box for wifi until you configure them via the web interface. Something probably needed to be reset before he could use the web interface. Could have tried a release and renew on his computer but it could be the cable/DSL/etc modem that needed it rather than his computer.

$tinkle

Expert on blowing
Feb 12, 2003
ya, i saw he was connected via eth, but didn't see the wifi. i asked if it was prev config'd b/c getting a new router should be independent of wifi status on his box, right? e: assumption is this was working previously

also, the only times i cannot log into my router is if i've dug a tunnel (which doesn't resolve packets until they get to the outside concentrator). don't know what other situation would permit intarwebz w/o direct router connectivity/auth

vb: i could be wrong about the ip (maybe you got it from the box/manual?), but not being able to login to the router, *yet still* being able to surf seems suspect to me. i assume when you say "It can connect via a LAN cable" in your 1st post you mean you can get out to the world.

but, right: obviously you cannot use your wireless until you login to your router & do the basic create ssid, apply any security features, & reflect these settings to the client computer.

mmike or johne can help further

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
Last edited:

valve bouncer

Master Dildoist
Feb 11, 2002
Japan
I've been able to get into the configuration interface and it says I'm connected but it still isn't working properly. The ethernet cable to the router works fine just wireless is farked. I've been fiddling with various settings so hopefully I'll hit on whatever is causing the problem sooner or later.

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
I've been able to get into the configuration interface and it says I'm connected but it still isn't working properly. The ethernet cable to the router works fine just wireless is farked. I've been fiddling with various settings so hopefully I'll hit on whatever is causing the problem sooner or later.
Try updating the firmware, you are probably running the original firmware which their website indicates WiFi was fixed in the second revision

http://www.planex.net/driver/router/MZK-W04N/MZK-W04N_FW_v1.37_Eng.zip

valve bouncer

Master Dildoist
Feb 11, 2002
Japan
Try updating the firmware, you are probably running the original firmware which their website indicates WiFi was fixed in the second revision

http://www.planex.net/driver/router/MZK-W04N/MZK-W04N_FW_v1.37_Eng.zip
Clicking that link ultimately lands me at this point
Windows has the following information about this file type. This page will help you find software needed to open your file.

File Type: Binary Data File

File Extension: .bin
Description: No known program will open this file. This file is part of a program. You may search the following Web site for related software and information:

* Windows Live Search

You may purchase or download software related to this file type from the following Web site:

* Windows Marketplace

Have questions? See these Frequently Asked Questions.
F*ckery f*ck f*ck.

$tinkle

Expert on blowing
Feb 12, 2003
if your router is like mine, logon to your router & find the "update firmware" page. it may have a button which lets you upload this bin file you just downloaded. ed: sounds awkward grammatically, but it's true

you should be golden in minutes.

valve bouncer

Master Dildoist
Feb 11, 2002
Japan
if your router is like mine, logon to your router & find the "update firmware" page. it may have a button which lets you upload this bin file you just downloaded. ed: sounds awkward grammatically, but it's true

you should be golden in minutes.
When I do that it says "invalid file format"

$tinkle

Expert on blowing
Feb 12, 2003
oh yeah, make sure you've extracted the bin file from the zip, or you won't be able to upload it to the firmware page on your router

$tinkle

Expert on blowing
Feb 12, 2003
it should extract to "C:\Documents and Settings\WilliamsDavid\Desktop\MZK-W04N_FW_v1.37_Eng\MZK-W04N_FW_v1.37_Eng"

$tinkle

Expert on blowing
Feb 12, 2003
you mean you don't have winzip? that's odd. you need winzip for lots of other tasks in the future. how 'bout you get winzip, & extract.

as a last resort - it's sitting right here in front of me - i can em it to you (it's 3m).

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
XP has zip support built in. Once you download the file, when you right click a zip an option is extract

$tinkle

Expert on blowing
Feb 12, 2003
wait a minute...why are you dicking around w/ zip? you have the bin file as stated in your windoze msg....(post #23)

find out where that folder is & nav to it from your update firmware page.

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
Some devices require you to update firmware in steps rather than jumping to the latest version ie v1 to v2 to v3 to ... current version rather than v1 directly to the current version.

I would also confirm from the back of the router or web interface your model number. Possibly you have a different model in which case it would could possibly say invalid file format.

valve bouncer

Master Dildoist
Feb 11, 2002
Japan
Some devices require you to update firmware in steps rather than jumping to the latest version ie v1 to v2 to v3 to ... current version rather than v1 directly to the current version.

I would also confirm from the back of the router or web interface your model number. Possibly you have a different model in which case it would could possibly say invalid file format.
I'll try from the Japanese site

valve bouncer

Master Dildoist
Feb 11, 2002
Japan
Update- the router had a money back guarantee if not completely satisfied. Well I wasn't so today when the missus finally got thru to tech support they said to send it back and we'll send you a new one. Not quite a money back guarantee I reckon but we'll see how we go. Guy on the phone said it's quite possible the router was rooted out of the box. Great! Will update further.