Quantcast

routeslip.com

jacksonpt

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2002
Vestal, NY
Anyone use it? I started today and it seems really cool. I love the fact that I can map out my routes and it automatically totals distance and climbing, and gives one of those little elevation maps. Very cool stuff - works in cahoots with googlemaps.

Oh, and registration is free.

http://www.routeslip.com/

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
even if you are off on the distance, you can just look @ yr cyclecomputer; i see the benefit of this being the altimeter aspect, and that shouldn't be as affected by the amount of flags you lay down on yr route.

Wumpus

makes avatars better
Dec 25, 2003
Six Shooter Junction
i see the benefit of this being the altimeter aspect, and that shouldn't be as affected by the amount of flags you lay down on yr route.

If you live in a place with rolling hills, the altimeter thing doesn't work very well. Either that or Texas is really flat.

jacksonpt

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2002
Vestal, NY
you have to put in a lot of points. Basically, it calculates distance/altitude at each point... so if you have a really long, straight hill and you don't put a point at the top of the hill, it will show no elevation change.

If that made any sense. From what I've seen on the 2 routes I've done, both the distance and the altitude are pretty close.

peter6061

Turbo Monkey
Nov 19, 2001
Kenmore, WA
Took me about 20 minutes to get all my points in. When I tried to save it, it crashed. Maybe test it out a bit before you spend a ton of time getting your big rides right.

peter6061

Turbo Monkey
Nov 19, 2001
Kenmore, WA
It has hung up on both my saves, but when I went back to look the routes were both saved.
I went back and checked, but no luck.

It wasn't so much as a hang, but more of a blank page with error code. The back button took me back previous to creation, and forward, it was gone. I'll try again sometime. Could be a firefox glitch.

Echo

crooked smile
Jul 10, 2002
Slacking at work
Sweet, I just did a few routes on there.

My commute, 7 miles with 280 feet of climbing :D

My easy training ride, 23 miles with 750 feet of climbing :p

And the ride to my parents and back, 66 miles with 2800 feet of climbing :thumb:

I gotta get T-blazer to log in there and map the shop rides, it would be cool to see what those look like.

jacksonpt

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2002
Vestal, NY
My commute to work:
10.75 miles
1117 ft of climbing

My commute home:
10.76 miles
1601 ft of climbing (the last climb is a doozy)

douglas

Chocolate Milk Doug
May 15, 2002
Shut up and Ride
I get some issues saving (i.e. the save button disapears), and then IE locks up

My local loop
Distance: 26.27 mi.
Climbing: 1726.9 ft.

rooftest

Monkey
Jul 10, 2005
OC, CA
Thanks for posting that site. I've been looking for a site like that for a while. There are a few (mapmyrun) that work with the Garmin GPS - but those damn things come with zero support, and a weak owners manual. (I returned mine in disgust.)

jacksonpt

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2002
Vestal, NY
Thanks for posting that site. I've been looking for a site like that for a while. There are a few (mapmyrun) that work with the Garmin GPS - but those damn things come with zero support, and a weak owners manual. (I returned mine in disgust.)
The site does seem to have some hickups still... but all in all I've had pretty good luck with it.

jacksonpt

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2002
Vestal, NY
I get some issues saving (i.e. the save button disapears), and then IE locks up

My local loop
Distance: 26.27 mi.
Climbing: 1726.9 ft.
I had the save button disappear this morning. I clicked where it was supposed to be and it worked fine.

I've yet to have IE lock up. It acts like it's locked up, but it seems to take a while to process routes. My long loop (almost 60 miles) took a good 5 minutes to save. It's not uncommon for my typical routes (10-15 miles) to take 90 seconds or so to save.

Echo

crooked smile
Jul 10, 2002
Slacking at work
The one I did: Distance 108.51 Miles (112.4 by my computer)
Climbing 7214.2 FT.

The best part: I got paid to do it....I had to drop off a truck in Bakersfield for work so I took my bike and rode home.
Holy crap. Way to make us all look like wussies T-Dog.

douglas

Chocolate Milk Doug
May 15, 2002
Shut up and Ride
Tequila's Dougs Bad Ass Soul Crushing Century
Distance: 100.5 mi.
Climbing: 8924.3 ft

note: Due to injury this ride has been postponed to ???