Quantcast

Routine

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
32GB of ram jeebus, only the engineering workstations here get anything like that.

If your computer has no TPM then its probably best to replace it anyways, if you're ever concerned with the data being stolen from it.

I wonder how much fun this will be in the enterprise? We're just getting in the swing of things with Windows 10. :(

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
I wonder how much fun this will be in the enterprise? We're just getting in the swing of things with Windows 10.
I've spent weeks trying to make my customer change from W10 to W10 E LTSC for an upcoming workstation refresh project so we don't have to deal with W10 versions only being valid for 18 months before they go out of support.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
I've spent weeks trying to make my customer change from W10 to W10 E LTSC for an upcoming workstation refresh project so we don't have to deal with W10 versions only being valid for 18 months before they go out of support.
The way versions reach of life like that is a pain, especially if you have large numbers of them. Doubly so if you deploy the spring release on any number of computers.

We deploy the enterprise version on all our computers, which at least buys us an additional year. I'm guessing 90% of ours are running 1909 now, so we're good until 2022.

LTSC definitely gets around this, but I find it isn't really suited for end users. It has no support for Edge or anything from the Windows Store, so some things like One Drive and To Do can be a bit more painful to get going. The one saving grace is that you upgrade it from LTSC to Pro/Enterprise - though its a one time change and you can't go back.

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
The way versions reach of life like that is a pain, especially if you have large numbers of them. Doubly so if you deploy the spring release on any number of computers.

We deploy the enterprise version on all our computers, which at least buys us an additional year. I'm guessing 90% of ours are running 1909 now, so we're good until 2022.

LTSC definitely gets around this, but I find it isn't really suited for end users. It has no support for Edge or anything from the Windows Store, so some things like One Drive and To Do can be a bit more painful to get going. The one saving grace is that you upgrade it from LTSC to Pro/Enterprise - though its a one time change and you can't go back.
99% of the end users computers I support are locked down to run a single application with occasional browser usage. The 18 month lifecycle is a pain in the balls on Pro.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
"Keepin' it in my back pocket!!"

:D
Is that referring to the free space?

If yes, I created it and that's my WHY. :busted:

You can't expand a partition in Windows to a non contiguous part of the disk*. So WHY does it choose to put that dumb recovery portion after the default c: one is beyond my knowledge. It'd be interesting to hear why, if there is a reason. And why doesn't it get configured like this every time?

*on a basic disk maybe this is a restriction, I dunno. I don't fool around with anything but them.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
Is that referring to the free space?

If yes, I created it and that's my WHY. :busted:

You can't expand a partition in Windows to a non contiguous part of the disk*. So WHY does it choose to put that dumb recovery portion after the default c: one is beyond my knowledge. It'd be interesting to hear why, if there is a reason. And why doesn't it get configured like this every time?

*on a basic disk maybe this is a restriction, I dunno. I don't fool around with anything but them.
:nerd:

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
I know you can rearrange them using some voodoo tricks.

I think I'll just take a snapshot, delete the recovery partition and yolo all the way to the bank.

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
I know you can rearrange them using some voodoo tricks.

I think I'll just take a snapshot, delete the recovery partition and yolo all the way to the bank.
Let's just memorialize this as @canadmos 's last post for a while as he's just broken his computer and can't recover it without doing a clean install :D

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
OK, got it. They keep making the user interface more complicated...
View attachment 204278
Yeah a lot of things have been moved from the control panel or from other spots into the Settings "app".

Another good example is if you want to set a static IP on one of your network interfaces. In earlier Windows, you could just right click the network icon in the taskbar tray and within 2 clicks have the old interfaces screen open. This one:
1701265107696.png

Now it'll just open that Settings app and go to the network section, where, to me, its a lot more fumbly to change stuff.

I mean on the other hand, I guess one could learn the proper powershell cmdlets and change parameters that way, without clicking anything.

Yeah a lot of things have been moved from the control panel or from other spots into the Settings "app".

Another good example is if you want to set a static IP on one of your network interfaces. In earlier Windows, you could just right click the network icon in the taskbar tray and within 2 clicks have the old interfaces screen open. This one:
View attachment 204279

Now it'll just open that Settings app and go to the network section, where, to me, its a lot more fumbly to change stuff.

I mean on the other hand, I guess one could learn the proper powershell cmdlets and change parameters that way, without clicking anything.
Powershell is a stupid fucking pain in the ass. It's powerful but has an inane user interface.