Quantcast

rowing machines

MikeD

Leader and Demogogue of the Ridemonkey Satinists
Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
Like my used C2 I was fortunate enough to find. Has a gen 2 screen I think-older one with different LED blocks for the metrics. Not the fancy newer style. Works well enough for me...needs some new rollers I think.

I love them because they store so easily and travel better than anything else, while being my favorite form of exercise if I'm forced to do indoor/stationary. I was happy to find out they break down in half by design--I thought I'd be doing a lot more work to disassemble for moves. (Since I do so frequently...)

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Im rowing with exercise bands since they dont let me bend my leg

boostindoubles

Nacho Libre
Mar 16, 2004
Yakistan
Im rowing with exercise bands since they dont let me bend my leg
You can sit on the erg and just do pulls with your back and arms no problemo. No need to bend your legs to tug on the handle.

Model C is what we used in college. So much suffering. All the suffering.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
Hey concept2 friends, I have a question. Before I plunk down $200 on a new performance meter, I want to make sure my thing is otherwise fine.

I set it up to test it out, and everything seems to be working, except there is free play at the catch...when I recoil back to the catch and then start driving back, there are a few inches of movement in the handle with little or no resistance. I have never used a concept 2 before so I have no idea if this is normal and I suck at rowing (likely) or if there is maintenance or repair necessary on this very used unit I picked up.

I intend on grabbing a new handle and PM but may as well dump any replacement parts into the order as possible to keep it running well. The seat rolls fine, the drum turns without issue...it all seems to be working great, but the free play at the catch is weirding me out.

boostindoubles

Nacho Libre
Mar 16, 2004
Yakistan
There is a little play at the catch but its not alot. It shouldnt be more than the initial pull on the drive and then your locked in.

This isnt a model C but the catch and drive should be basically the same.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
Yeah, I think it's working normal it's just not expected. I found a few threads on it, seems like the clutch and axle have to catch up to the spinning flywheel before it can start moving it. Totally reasonable explanation and that's what I feel. No more than a heartbeat of play before it provides resistance.

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
the womenfolk are ripped
friend from highschools daughter is going to school on bahstahn for rowing i think....

i think i would enjoy rowing there than the hell she rows in at atlanta...

MonkeyGut

Monkey
Dec 8, 2006
Man, I'm in the can't/won't ride a trainer camp. I have liked rollers in the past but weed these days isn't strong enough to keep me on them. I'm going to get the Concept2 gig. Pre COVID when I went to the gym I'd always do at least a warmup on a Concept2 and dug the workout as well as the data and would do longer rows cuz it was fun? My separated shoulder talked me into it last week, so one is on the way and I'm already stoked for Moto next year. This thread sold me on the Concept2....thanks y'all!!

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
broke down and bought a PM5 for my trash picked concept 2. I'll get rid of the water thing when it comes in. We'll see! Yay suffering!

rideit

Bob the Builder
Aug 24, 2004
In the cleavage of the Tetons
I have really come to love the rowing machine as a warm up for my workouts. I don’t bother tracking watts or yards or anything, I just go by how many pulls. I do kinda sorta intervals, pulling/pushing as hard as I possibly can for ten, then ‘soft pedaling’ for 35, or whatever feels right.
Today I did 500 pulls, working up to 1000 before lifting.
im actually taking a total hiatus from cycling, since November. It’s been refreshing to work other muscle groups.
I also really like the erg climber/ski machine.

rideit

Bob the Builder
Aug 24, 2004
So, fourth day ever on the rower, did just over 5k in 20 minutes at a pretty chill pace (was never really winded).
I guess that’s about average. But I just started. Figuring out how to really push with my legs while not ‘over-pulling’ with my arms.
Gonna do thirty minutes before lifting on Tuesday.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
So, fourth day ever on the rower, did just over 5k in 20 minutes at a pretty chill pace (was never really winded).
I guess that’s about average. But I just started. Figuring out how to really push with my legs while not ‘over-pulling’ with my arms.
Legs, then back, then finish with arms. Your arms do very little if you're doing it right. Practice just legs and back and never pull with your arms to get used to it. Otherwise you're just pitting your arm strength against your leg strength and you're gonna screw up your back.

And fuck you for making me prove I know that

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
I've followed videos from "dark horse rowing" on youtube. Not a huge amount of variety, but a decent enough mix for beginner and advanced, with 20 or 30 minute options. He covers some drills that can be helpful for form. He also teaches and guides stroke rate, drag factor, and other nonsense if you care. I just enjoy not having to think and following the called out stroke rates and intervals.

rideit

Bob the Builder
Aug 24, 2004
I’m gonna hire a virtual coxswain that threatens to kick me in the nuts and show me pictures of albino nipples if I start lagging.
I mean, what is that worth?

edit: Wifey was a coxswain, but I can’t afford her!

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
I’m gonna hire a virtual coxswain that threatens to kick me in the nuts and show me pictures of albino nipples if I start lagging.
40 bucks an hour plus per diem. 35/hr if I get to kick you in the nuts at least 3x/day.

also this guys arms are too high and he's going to strain his forearms

ergshit.JPG

Last edited:

rideit

Bob the Builder
Aug 24, 2004
Ok, I watched that, and I didn’t really get it. For me, Im using it as an even cardio workout as well, trying to go smoothly from stroke to stroke, as if I’m trying to maintain an even cadence on a road bike or whatever. He seems to be focusing on each stroke individually. Am I off base?

www.strokemonkey.com

boostindoubles

Nacho Libre
Mar 16, 2004
Yakistan
The drive (or stroke) is 3 motions linked together.

(Start in catch) Legs - back - arms (finish) arms - back - legs (catch)

You dont start moving your back until yout legs have done their work and your arms dont start bending until your back has made its move.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
Ok, I watched that, and I didn’t really get it. For me, Im using it as an even cardio workout as well, trying to go smoothly from stroke to stroke, as if I’m trying to maintain an even cadence on a road bike or whatever. He seems to be focusing on each stroke individually. Am I off base?

www.strokemonkey.com
What boostin said

Like anything, get the technique down so you don't hurt something, then worry about the workout bit. You can't spin that fan without some effort anyway so you'll get all that zone 2 shit just learning how to do it correctly.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes

edit: Wifey was a coxswain, but I can’t afford her!
Sorry I just grabbed a random video of his. Here's one where he actually shows how to row. I find him easy to follow and not overly complex.